1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Saints Summer 2017 Transfer Rumour Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Brixham Saint, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

Perhaps our top target was Vietto and he was all but signed, provided Atleti got Costa. They didn't, so we may have favoured waiting to January for Vietto rather than signing a less preferred option. Or, the board could have seen clubs charging far too much for our targets and had faith in MP turning around our attacking threat.

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Journalist claims that Newcastle wouldn't pay out for a loan deal of Targett....would make sense based on the large amount demanded for Gallagher. However, previously reported as due to Newcastle wanting a year not a 6 month loan deal. Could be either or both reasons. I like Targett....if a loan deal is what he needs I hope he gets one in January....it didn't do Jack Stephens any harm.

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  3. fran-MLs little camera

davecg69 likes this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

5. Le Saint

Le Saint Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder what was going on here. At left back we have Bertrand, McQueen and were even looking to offload Targett on loan?

6. fran-MLs little camera

The club may feel Targett needs game time to continue progressing and they wanted a young back up on loan in case of emergencies (or just to have a look at him properly).

7. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

So we basically did to Dundee what Liverpool did to us with VVD

8. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

How is that the same?

9. Saintmagic

Unsettled a player without making a bid, probably spoke to him about a move that didn't happen.

10. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

It's not the same. We didn't just show interest to agitate a move or talk to the player first. We wanted him on loan, they said no we will only sell. Saints didn't want to buy, so end of conversation. It's a nothing story.

11. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

No not quite the same.........We spoke to Dundee first..........and we certainly didn't meet him in Blackpool!! It was up to Dundee to notify the player. From my Scottish friends who say he is useful for a youngster. Worth keeping an eye on for the future........

12. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

No, we spoke to Dundee first. Very, very different. You do sound like you're non saints sometimes.
    Edit: quite often.

13. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

You're a funny Saints fan at times.

14. Saintmagic

At no point in that article does it say we contacted Dundee first, but yeah I was comparing it based on the fact that a player is unsettled because he didn't get a move despite no bid coming in for the player.

And yes I am a weird fan in that I tend to look at things objectively regardless of which teams/players are involved, no matter if I like them or dislike them. I don't get as emotionally involved as others do (most of the time anyway) and try to see things from all perspectives. I know this isn't a common trait amongst football fans, especially when it comes to their own club.

15. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Quote: “There wasn’t an official bid and we (Dundee) said if you (SFC) want to buy him, bid but there was no bid. They (SFC) wanted to take him on loan but we needed him here playing in the team.
    “If they’d (SFC) come in with a concrete bid we would have had to look at it but they didn’t.

So from that I would deduce there must have been some inter club communication. Also, I'm sure if we had done anything out of hand, Dundee would have at least mentioned the "tap tap" wording & the media would have been all over it. .

16. Saintmagic

Yeah I'm not saying the clubs didn't communicate at all, but the player being unsettled with no bid coming in is very similar to the VVD deal in my eyes, we don't know if we spoke to the player or not, I would deduce that we did as he is unsettled and I can't see why Dundee would allow it if we only wanted a loan.

But yeah it is all guesswork and ultimately it doesn't really matter as the player isn't coming here at this time.

17. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

We have a very good relationship with Dundee having signed a few youngsters off them before. Dundee think we will be back in for him in Jan. This is nothing like the Van Dijk situation at all.

KillerCephalopod and ChilcoSaint like this.
  18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Was this connected to the Matt Targett loan deal at all? If we were thinking of getting some cover for Matty in on loan, and then lost interest when Matty didn't go it would make sense.

In any case, a club making an enquiry with another club about a player is the correct way to proceed, and is a world apart from the blatant tapping up that Liverpool engaged in with Virgil. I can't see how you can draw any similarities whatever @Saintmagic.

19. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

No, I must admit I'm struggling to see the connection here.

20. Saintmagic

The connection in my mind is simple, we have VVD who is unsettled despite no bid coming in for him, Dundee have Robson who is unsettled despite no bid coming in for him. That's it.