1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rooney!

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by jayGills74, Nov 19, 2011.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I am Gills for ever and a day !

I am NOT going to defend Rooney - as such - but perhaps we should see things a bit more from his angle. Who, among us would not ask for more out our employer - or if in the course of trade - hold out for a better offer ( think about when selling your house or car etc .) I think that there is an unwritten protocol that the first figure is considered merely a starting point. Of course, as the purchaser, Mr.Scally is also looking for the best deal for himself. He doesn't want to pay any more than necessary - looking to see if he can get away with making a lower offer than he would ultimately be willing to pay. I am pretty certain that all contracts of footballers will follow a period of negotiation before all the appropriate comprimises have been made by both sides and a settlement reached ( or the player moves on if agreement is not achieved .) I am unaware of how long the contract negotiations have been going in the case of Rooney. It might be unfair on him if it is very early days. At the moment we only have the case presented by the Club. If Rooney had any sense he would tell the fans something similar to my thoughts about the finer points of the contract.
    For the record - Rooney needs to be honest with the ' current ' limitations of his ability ( which ultimately will dictate the number of 000 s in the contract ) - and all the get out clauses if his ability increases enough to command interest from Barcelona et al. ( not difficult to include in the print .) I can admire Rooney's play at times ( and equally frustrated when he doesn't know when to pass ) - but his relative worth to the team was placed in perspective by the performance, at Aldershot, by two other players of similar age to Rooney - (Nouble & Payne)

2. Born Again Gill

Sad but we did'nt need him today !! A lot of promise but that promise needs to be backed up regulary over a period of time b4 you can even think of trying to hold a club to ransom. If this is true then we have to be honest and say he is suffering from I think I'm better than I am syndrome and we are better off without.
    Great to see Hess taking the Alex Ferguson mentality on this one that no one is bigger than the club!
    The lads ego will now be someone elses problem

3. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

is he any good, i understand the shrews may go for him, to join opur 4 internationals

4. Born Again Gill

Good potential but thats it !!! Your Welcome to him atcham ( for a fee) then we can watch him cry if we beat you in a play off come May :cheesy:

5. brb

brb Guest

atcham - Just my opinion but Rooney is up for a challenge with lots of energy and wants to be involved, shows team spirit but from what I have seen on the pitch the body language in regards to attitude really lets him down and gets peoples backs up, seems to lack Jack Payne's level head.

6. GFCSTU

GFCSTU Member

Not a bad raw talent but I feel he is starting to believe his own hype, Dont want him to go but if he dooes its not end of the world. I would be far more concerned if we were talking about Jack Payne. He maybe just trying it on, he has done it before. I think we have the depth in the squad when fit for him to sit bak on the bench and think about life for a while!

UTG!!

7. brb

brb Guest

8. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, it could be that he was left out because the (possibly ongoing) negotiations meant that he was not in the correct frame of mind.

However I'd be surprised if that were the case.

Reading the story so far it does appear that he is being lead by his agent, but that also to a certain extent he is putting as much thought into this as he does with his play a lot of the time. The problem is that as a player he has a natural instinct, and whilst that can be frustrating at times it can equally be exciting. However he evidently lacks the same instint as far his career development is concerned.

If he has got any sense he'll sit down and have a long think about exactly where he would like to be career-wise in 5 years time, and work out what what is realistically the best way to get there. At the moment, because of his inconsistency, he would still be a liability to a higher placed club, and in my opinion would be in a far better position to negitiate a more lucrative deal with his next club if he significantly reduced the 'headless chicken' part of his game.

If he does go the best we can probably hope for is a decent percentage of the sell-on fee, and if Hessy does decide to sell him on in January he might have to play him in the meantime just to showcase him.

9. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

You can't have a disruptive influence in the team. Jack Payne has signed a new contract.....that doesn't stop him moving on if the club are prepared to sell him (for the right price) and has the time and mental attitude to showcase his skills.

Rooney is behaving like a petulant kid...talented or not. If he used his brain........he would be better off knuckling down like Jack Payne and proving his worth than 'moving up the league ladder' and playing reserve team football for Scunthorpe......or other backwater.

He's a kid and Hessy is right to treat him like one.

10. jayGills74

jayGills74 Active Member

I follow various Gills players on Twitter and Stefan Payne has just tweeted to Luke Rooney " Wanna unfollow me like that? Thats bigtime that fort we were boys" #gettingTooBigForYourDaisyRoots Now this may be a bit of jesting n mickeytaking but if serious could mean there is some disharmony over events!!

11. jayGills74

jayGills74 Active Member

i must add to this that the tweet from Stefan Payne to Luke Rooney has already been removed!!

12. brb

brb Guest

Just took this from twitter...

@luke_rooney
    Luke Rooney
    Great result yesterday 2-1 away from home. Buzzing for the boys. Absolutely devastated that I wasn't allowed to play!
    4 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

The one that sums it up for me though is this...

mmackgfc Matthew Mackenzie
    @
    @luke_rooney sign that contract extension. Simple. Ur gonna annoy a lot of fans that think ur a good player doing this. Me being on of them.
    4 hours ago

13. jokeykid(606)

jokeykid(606) Member

people are forgetting we had exactly the same problem when he signed his previous extension. its very clear that whoever the lads agent is thinks hes a bit of a wheelerdealer and can extract more from the club and the whole hold out sagas seem to be a more and more current thing in football.

rooney will hopefully know and have been told that if a bigger club comes in offering him the chance to play at a higher level and further his football we will let him go if the deal offered suits the football club and too an extent even if it doesnt quite match our valuation (Jackson, quote for nothing less than a mil, went for just over half that plus lots of add ons instead). if rooney doesnt want to be at the club or thinks he should be playing at a higher level then say so and the club will happily accomidate his request im sure as as hess has said he wants player here who want to be here.

to throw the cat amoungst the pidgeons answer this question (may even make it a poll). choice keep rooney or sign kuffour perminantley?

14. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

I dont no why just because Rooney has not signed an extention to the contract he has been offered he should be dropped. Has HE refused to play, no i don t think so. We do not no what the contract is worth, it is proberly a lot less than Payne therefore he feels he is worth more, he has always tried his best for the Gills and wants to play reguarly. I am not on Rooneys side but unless we no all the facts we cannot start slating him. We did the same when Henden left, but we got Nouble on loan because he went to West Ham.

15. brb

brb Guest

16. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

To be honest the whole situation has been handled badly. I doubt many fans would have been curious to why Rooney was absent on saturday, but by publicising the reason post-match Hess has opened up a hugh can of worms, as has Rooney himself by his twitter activity about the matter. Villifying a player is not going to help the situation at all, it will polarise the fans view of the player and alienate the player from the management and the playing staff.
    Contract talks should be held behind and kept behind closed doors.

I am not going to judge him or the club as there is plenty we don't know about, including the contract on the table, the players demands and the precise reasoning why he was left out of the team.

17. gillspb

gillspb Active Member

I totally agree, none of us have any idea of what contract was offered to Luke so we can only speculate as to why he has not signed it. Perhaps he would like a slightly better contract than the one that is currently been offered to him and he is perfectly entitled to negotiate as I would if I was in the same situation. I hope he does play in the next few weeks as he is an important member of the squad but If Hess decides that unless Luke signs the current contract on offer he is no longer part of his plans then we will all have to accept it and move on.

18. Born Again Gill

Bored with this now ! We want players who want to be at Gills and play for the shirt. Everyone has aspirations in every walk of life and the best way to get on is knuckle down and get on with it. The patched up side showed plenty of commitment tonight and thats all as a fan you can ask. I for one would not want to see Rooney in a Gills shirt again and if I was in charge he would already be on loan at Welling!!

19. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

We have totally proved that we can cope without him.

20. GillinghamLAD

GillinghamLAD Member

Have to say I don't totally agree with you here HOADIE. First half of last night I agree, but when Whelpdale came off at half time and S.Payne being our only attacking option to come on, we were very thin on the ground. Oli got injured/knackered so we had to play Fish in midfield and go with 2 up top. We could've done with Rooney in some form to do a job.

Saying that, with the league games, Kuffour and Nouble being in the squad, I would have to agree with you. But when Nouble goes...