1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Rivalries

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Steven Toast, Sep 12, 2020.

1. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

None of the 3 yellowbelly clubs are our rivals.

It's to our shame that we ended up playing in the 3rd and 4th tier and had to play (often losing) against these teams, and it was a measure of how low we had sunk. Their fans knew this full well and would gleefully celebrate success against us as if they'd won the cup.

They are local irritants, tinpot neighbouring outfits who see us as a massive scalp. We're Volvo, they're Reliant Robin.

This is not rivalry, just temporary humiliating parity with a nearby lower league club.

Rivals? never.

spesupersydera likes this.
  2. Citygirl

Citygirl Well-Known Member

The thing is , why do these local born people support Fc or rovers in a partisan fashion , hate Hull City and many have said that to me , but support the likes of Liverpool , Leeds , Manchester U or C , Everton , Arsenal , Chelsea or Tottenham . Take a look at the football teams I have listed , apart from Tottenham who have won cups , all have monopolised winning the top league in my lifetime. They are glory seekers and think they are the bee's knees because they support a team who win trophies .These people actually hate City , but love a Hull club that plays a different sport. But you question why some of us on here might have a chip on our shoulder. I think you have been on the other side of the Atlantic to long . I was stood on the north east corner at BP in April 1980 and witnessed the appalling behaviour of the fc deadheads who attended our game against Brentford that day.

3. Citygirl

Citygirl Well-Known Member

Sheffield United are the vermin and always will be .

4. Lincoln Tiger

Lincoln Tiger Well-Known Member

I have never understood this either Citygirl. I have grown up both a Hull City fan and a follower of Hull Kingston Rovers. There is no issue as far as I'm concerned. I love both games. There again, I played and coached both rugby codes and I heard stupid stuff thrown in both directions - usually by those folks who never played either sport. (same between football and rugby). As for supporting another team other than your home club, well I couldn't do it and cannot understand for the life of me how anyone could do so. I lived in Lincoln for 18 years and occasionally watched the Imps at Sincil Bank. I ran projects with my students in conjunction with Lincoln City and was a friend of the late Keith Alexander (a good kind generous fellow) but never, absolutely never, not for one minute ever saw them as 'my team' and never could. Hull is my hometown, and my home, and I am proud to be a Hullensian. Finally, don't even get me feckin' started on half and half scarves... sorry, I'll shut up... I'm ranting now.

5. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

There are idiot supporters of every club, in every sport. It's a fact of life. Some have hatred of rival clubs and/or rival sports.

Am I suggesting some on here have a chip on their shoulder ?

No, not at all. I'm suggesting everyone has a right to support whoever & whatever team they so desire. Even multiple teams in many sports if that is their choice..

Those who don't recognize that is their choice are narrow minded. Long gone are the days when football was the only relief people could get at weekends to allow them to escape the humdrum lives they were experiencing. TV and other technology gave individuals more choice to select the product they thought was the best. Glory seekers is a bullshit term. Do you prefer Scotch Whiskey or Rye Whiskey. With water, or ice, or both ? Do any of the potential combinations of the options evoke hatred for the consumer with different tastes from yourself like being a blinkered sub-set of the football supporter clan ?

Sometime in '67 I think it was, when living in Leeds, I went to a pre-season friendly at Huddersfield who were hosting Manchester United. There were at most a few hundred in the crowd. I was a neutral. A bloody major brawl started in the first half. All it showed was the ignorance of the participants, who had no interest in the "product" - just their desire for some sort of gratification to satisfy their lot in life - most likely a depressing, empty existance.

This hatred of the opposition - be it the club or their supporters to me is illogical. Quite a number of posters on this forum seem to exhibit that trait to lesser and greater degrees - intolerance of anything that is not "to their own taste" or "ascribes to their clannish allegiances. What a waste of energy. Enjoy the bloody game of your choice - ignore the side show. Don't fall into the trap of "an eye for an eye".

My geographical wanderings are irrelevent as far as my awareness of what's happening elswhere in the world.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    FORZA LEEDS and Kempton like this.
  6. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Disagree.

7. tigerscanada

Succinct or illuminating ?

8. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Scotch whiskey?

9. Qatartiger Cambridgetiger

Qatartiger Cambridgetiger Well-Known Member

As far as I know whiskey with an E is Irish? Without E is Scottish.

10. Barchullona

Precisely. Scotch whisky is also tautology.

11. tigerscanada

I may be arguing in my spare time, but...carry on adding pedantic shareholder value.

12. Barchullona

So, you were wrong? Accuracy is not something you appreciate?

13. Barchullona

You must be happy to get that off your chest. Your mantra seems inevitably to be "Don't agree with my opinion, you're ****ing wrong".
    You must live a lonely life - other views have value and validity.

14. tigerscanada

I was wrong. I misspelt a word. I prefer accuracy.
    The computer keyboard spelling police strike again.
    Bravo. Have another star.

FORZA LEEDS and Kempton like this.
  15. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Looking at this thread and others on the same topic, I reckon our biggest rivals are each other.

16. tigerscanada

Spot the deliberate spelling and grammatical errors, Post # 8, for an example of appreciation of accuracy.

"Ever read the FC forums? Or been in a pub where rugby fans were cheering when it is announced City have scored a goal? Anyone at the City v Brentford game in 1980 knows what a lot of them think about City. See loads of cars with FC! or Roverd, stickers alongside Liverpool, Mam Utd or Leeds ones. Never seen a car with a City sticker alongside a Wigan or St Helens one.
    The mod 9n the FC forum even had a tagine of Hull FC and Leeds United - Pride Of Yorkshire. Though that disappeared during their descent to Division 3. No doubt it will make a re-apearance."

Errors.JPG

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  17. Barchullona

18. Barchullona

Spot the deliberate spelling and grammatical errors, Post # 8, for an example of appreciation of accuracy.

"Ever read the FC forums? Or been in a pub where rugby fans were cheering when it is announced City have scored a goal? Anyone at the City v Brentford game in 1980 knows what a lot of them think about City. See loads of cars with FC! or Roverd, stickers alongside Liverpool, Mam Utd or Leeds ones. Never seen a car with a City sticker alongside a Wigan or St Helens one.
    The mod 9n the FC forum even had a tagine of Hull FC and Leeds United - Pride Of Yorkshire. Though that disappeared during their descent to Division 3. No doubt it will make a re-apearance."

Pedant.

19. Barchullona

You didn't misspell a word. Whiskey is spelt correctly.It just happened to be the wrong word.

20. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

**** off with this ****ing spelling thing. I happen to be very good at spelling, but you know what? I don't care.

If someone spells a word wrongly I still know what they meant to spell, therefore it makes no difference to me whatsoever.

Having said that, I remember a spelling test in junior school.

50 words and I got the first 49 right. The fiftieth word was, psalm and I pronounced it with a p, even though I knew the word <laugh>

I must have panicked. But anyway, **** off with your spelling **** and your ****ing grammar.

Daft kunt :biggrin: