1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Rivalries

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Steven Toast, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

There are very good reasons for that. Remind yourselves of the FC fans facebook page and petition page set up 'We hate Paul Duffen'. When he was City's chairman. That is the level of mentality.
    Don't like them, never will.

2. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

Didn't we have a Hull FC thread with nearly 100 pages and over a thousand posts?

3. Tickton Tiger.

Again ask yourself why ? there must be a reason. If you were supporting Hull City in the early 1980's you'd maybe understand this more because before then there was no rivalry between RL and football in this City. We are supported each other.
    Hull FC made a determined effort to drive the wedge between the two codes, firstly by renaming themselves Hull Football Club then re branding themselves as Hull's most Premier Sports Club. Also the under handedness when they stole City's list of sponsors ( illegally) and tried to get them to drop 'soccer' ( as they call it) and sponsor them instead. I know first hand because I was one of them and was approached more then once.
    At that time City were strapped for cash.
    On top of that every FC fan I've ever met ALL 'support' a Premier League 'soccer' club.

Citygirl likes this.
  4. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

Whilst all of what you have posted may be true (even accounting for the anecdotal nature of some of it), it doesn't change my point.

A large number of our fans dislike Hull FC fans, more so than many football teams that we consider our rivals, it doesn't matter if the reason for it is entirely the fault of Hull FC and their fans or not, it remains a fact that there is probably more ill feeling towards them than any club that actually plays the same sport.

Your post just proves exactly what I'm saying.

5. Tickton Tiger.

We would both be stronger and stronger as a city if we supported each other. But it's never going to happen.
    Not whilst we have three professional sports clubs in the same smallish city competing against each other for everything from column inches in the local rag to bums on seats and sponsorship, even down to attracting young local players.
    It is and always has been easier to be a big fish winning silverware in the tiny world of RL then it is in football. Simply because in RL you are only competing against 12 other clubs and sadly people follow winning teams and the silverware. Probably why so many FC/HKR fans of a certain age also latch onto a PL club.
    I've also said that a successful football club in this city is the worst nightmare for both local RL clubs.
    Same could be said of the football I suppose.

6. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

There is a dislike towards a particular section of FC fans. No dislike for those who support FC and City. No ill feeling towards FC fans who support their local rugby team and have absolutely no interest in football but an intense dislike,alongside a withering contempt, for those inadequates who say how proud they are to support their local rugby team and who support a football club from another city, and wish defeat on City especially when they 0lay their adopted club.
    As Urika Peece said, this came about in the 1980s as City slid down into Division 4 for the first time in their history at the same time as the Hull rugby clubs had their greatest success. In other cities if the football club is not doing well fans stop going, in Hull they jump on the rugby bandwagon for some easily obtained success, Wembley visits after winning 3 games etc...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  7. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

I completely agree with all of that.

Ultimately, there are a lot of aspects to Rugby League we would love to have, cheaper prices, better media coverage (per team not the overall sport), teams consisting of a large number of local players, more chance to win silverware...etc. It's easier to see why it has a draw over our football team, which lets be honest can be demoralising at times.

I'm not sure there are many multi-sport cities where the clubs support each other as they should because let's face it they are competing for the same supporters and sponsors, ultimately they want the best for themselves even if that is to the detriment of the other teams.

8. Asterix

Asterix Well-Known Member

Leeds? Nah, as a kid they were in the first division, we were perennially mid table in the second division.

Not hatred, more morbid fascination, having visited Springfield Park and see us lose to Wigan. Who then go onto the first division and their bright shiny new ground.

But, the Blunts? You have mentioned the battle of Bramall Lane and Turf Moor. Any mellowing of the hatred I felt towards those neanderthals dissipated on pulling into a service area on the journey home from the Wembley game. What could be easier to keep fans away from each other? You lot go up the M1, you lot go up the A1. Ppppffffttttt, a couple of blunt mini buses had decided to take the A1, unload at at said service area and started offering all and sundry out. The younger supporters seemed totally bemused by their behaviour, maybe even murmured sympathy for their condition. The older amongst us realised the world moves on, but those ****s were stuck in the 70's early 80's.

As you say, anybody who thinks different? You're wrong.

Edit, not bothered at all by the local rugby clubs.

9. Barchullona

Having lived and worked in Leeds I can tell you that they don't have the situation we have in Hull. Or in Bradford, the only other city with a along with Hull and Leeds with a long history of having clubs in both Rugby league and football, all 3 having a ruby league club before an association football one.
    Or in Leicester, home of thee best supported rugby team.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  10. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

As someone that lives in Leeds my experience has been different, back in Leeds' League One days it was common sight to see Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal shirts in the city, plenty of cars with Rhinos stickers next to ones from those clubs too. For obvious reasons the balance has shifted towards Leeds United in previous years, much like it did for us a decade or so ago.

I take your point that there is maybe less animosity between the fans of different clubs, but the clubs themselves are pretty cut throat when it comes to partnership deals, taking from each other whenever they can.

11. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

Sheff United today my list.

I think it’s an age & generation thing to which you despise most.

12. Barchullona

A wide and erudite person wrote the same earlier.

13. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

They should get on a diet

14. Barchullona

<laugh> Unfortunately the correct word and the typo are pretty accurate.

Sir Cheshire Ben likes this.
  15. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Cheeky ****er...I’m not wide!

16. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

Sheff United having been bricked by them at their ground when I was 14/15, luckily no long term damage ;)...

17. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

I don't even consider rugby, never mind hate the fans.

I've got good mates who go to FC and Rervers and it's really simple, they don't talk to me about rugby, because they know I'm not interested.

I hate TWS. ESPECIALLY THE HULL WS.

Just saying.

18. Shag

Shag Member

Totally agree, I detest the ****s.
    December 1977 and me and a mate, both 14 years old walking from town to BP to watch city v sheff u and ended up with a group of sheffield grown "men" behind us. We were just 2 lads minding our own business when one of these hard bastards kicked me so hard up the arse I was totally winded and and in agony at the base of my spine. I couldn't make it to the game and it ended up me being taken to HRI by my dad later that night for a check up, they thought I may have damaged my Cocxyx but it was just badly bruised.
    The **** who did it would be in his late 70's to early 80's now, I hope he is living a miserable and painful existence, ****ing pig bastard.

19. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Pretty much mirrors my feelings. Not interested in rugby. Can't stand TWS. Got mates who follow both rugby teams and some who follow TWS.

20. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

dennisboothstash likes this.