1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

RETAINED...RELEASED...NEW TARGETS ?

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, May 1, 2022.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So no struggling to get a Play-off team together from the walking wounded....and getting thrashed by Wycombe again.......( 3rd v 6th ).....that would probably have been our semi-final.

This gives us a few extra weeks to sort ourselves out and prepare for pre-season training and pre-season matches.

How did they do.

MICHAEL COOPER....turning into a safe pair of hands....two seasons behind him now...over a hundred first team matches and ever present in our league team....one behind a terrible leaking defence and this season behind one of the best defences in the league....(until yesterday).......RATING...8/10.

JAMES WILSON.....On a whole a reliable defender did most of what was asked of him....maybe overplayed......RATING...7.5/10.

DAN SCARR.....Strong reliable...good in the air...best header in the team and did all that was asked of him....injured at a difficult time for the team....showed that he was missed.........RATING.....8/10.

MACAULAY GILLESPHEY.....On a whole a successful defender.....had a few games when he was roasted by wingers...but always came back strong and did what was required........RATING.....7.5/10.

JAMES BOLTON.....injuries marred his season...at the beginning and at the end......but proved himself well when he got into the team because of others being injured....surprised some........RATING.......8/10.

BRENDAN GALLOWAY.....A gambol because of his injury record....but worked hard and became a sophisticated quality defender who could easily play at an higher level.....but his bad luck returned with an unfortunate injury....he was missed.........RATING......7.5/10...(would have been higher if he had kept his fitness ).

JORDAN HOUGHTON.......Mid-fielder who did a reliable job for the majority of the season....picked up too many yellow cards....seemed to run out of form in recent weeks when we needed to push on.....yesterday he had a hard time and the Ref gave him no leeway with a second yellow/ red card finished his season and scuttled any chance of an Argyle recovery............RATING.....6/10.

RYAN BROOM.......Quite often a substitute to try and invigorate the mid-field....sometimes successfully...sometimes not..........RATING......6/10.

PANUTCHE CAMARA......Sorely missed at the end of the season...and when on international duty....MR DURACELL BUNNY as far as I am concerned....I could do with what ever he is taking.....box to box player.....trying to score one moment and seconds later clearing in defence....a great purchase two seasons back.....If he could score goal as well as he thieves the ball off the opposition...he would be playing in the Championship........RATING......9/10.

DANNY MAYOR.......Schumacher and his team have managed to get more out of him in the second half of the season....even to the extent of helping in defence....promises so much but leaving you wondering if he could just go one step further and supply more assists and even score goals from midfield....were goals have been limited this season for Argyle.......Rating.....7/10.

CONOR GRANT........A quieter season than last year...when he scored some great goals.....injury worries might have restricted him especially in the latter half of the season....missed yesterday..........RATING......7/10.

RYAN HARDIE......Top scorer...can scare defenders with his speed at times....has to share partnerships with three other strikers so building relationships up with another striker isn't easy.....season marred with an injury...missed him yesterday........RATED.......8.5/10.

LUKE JEPHCOTT.......Also sharing start with three other strikers.....sniffs out goal moments generally from close in.......second highest scorer......can disappear when things don't suit his style........RATED......6/10

NIALL ENNIS......Looked good when he first arrived and looked at times No1 striker but injuries marred his season and never looked sharp since coming back....disappointing season for him........RATED.......7.5/10.

JORDON GARRICK.......Another flying striker who can look good on his day...but sharing striker duties with three others....never really made a starting place his own........RATED.........7/10.

ALL FOUR STRIKERS NOT KNOWN FOR THEIR HEADING ABILITIES ?

ADAM RANDELL & RYAN LAW.....both on the fringes of the first team....both have at times done well when called upon....their time will come hopefully......RANDELL had a good season at Torquay last year....and never had the opportunity to nail down a starting spot when it seemed he would when he returned.........both.....7/10.

STEVEN SESSEGNON......Came on loan with a reputation and has a twin brother who has made it in the Premiership....but found playing time limited....has shown promise in recent games when called upon because of injuries........RATING.......7/10.

Those are the main players.....and my view is of course from a distance.....only made the Charlton away game and the end of Argyle's 16 game unbeaten run......Argyle looked poor in that game and it was hard to make a case for any of them.

Others I hope will give us their views from regular viewing in the flesh.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I would keep most of them with three exceptions of our own players. Gillesphy makes too many mistakes for me and is not good pace wise. We could probably do better. Jephcott is never a million plus striker. Disappears in games too often and is too slow. He doesn't compensate with hold up play although his first touch is often decent. Ennis hasn't done enough for me. His touch is often poor and he doesn't score enough.

Of the loanees I would love Garrick to stay and also Sessignon. Garrick is the pace we need and would develope more if played up front regularly. Sessignon looks classy when he has the ball and would fit in nicely. Not likely to get either though. Broom can get lost in games but generally I like him and his effort. Maybe we could give G Cooper back to Posh in a swap.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well that was quick and simple.....only Ollie Tomlinson not retained......gives us time to hang on to any players that might be attracting attention elsewhere.....and of course finding players to strengthen the squad.

Schumacher has stated that his squad wasn't big enough.....lets hope he can find the right players

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So this is the state of play at the end of season.

1.....18 first team players under contracr still.

2.....Houghton, Camara, Pursall have extended options activated....just need signing if they want to stay.

3.....Ryan Law the only player out of contract....has been offered a new contract.

4.....Garrick, Broom, Crichlow, Sessegnon......will return to their parent clubs.

5.....Ollie Tomlinson has not been offered a new contract......(spent time at Truro last season).

6.....Luke McCormick has decided to retire after playing 350 games for Argyle....will he be offered something on the coaching side ?

7.....Finley Craske has been offered his first professional contract.

8.....So if those offered new contracts all sign we will already have 23 players.

9.....So will any players be tempted away during the summer.....for instance.....Michael Cooper, Panutche Camara ?......who knows.

10.....How many players will Steven Schumacher try to add to his squad.....3 or 4 maybe ?

PS.....Two seasons George Cooper has spent out injured.....Have Argyle kept him because he is still under contract ?.....will he press on and try to regain a first team spot ...or will he say enough is enough and retire or play lower league football.....it's hard to remember what he brought to the team....was it a gifted left foot......his legs look so skinny you wonder how he plays football at all.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  6. notDistantGreen

re 2. As I understand it, the options can be called by the club, not the player. The players don't have a choice.

re 4. That's not to say Argyle won't attempt to sign them permanently: Broom's loan contract was apparently "with a view to a permanent move".

re 9. See 2. - They are under contract.

re 10 The EFL had proposed a max squad size of 20 players aged 20 and above for 22/23 season plus as many 19's and under as you like.. The PFA has objected and legal action has been threatened. I'd agree that seems far too small considering the number of games on the calendar. I don't know where it stands at the moment.

Re PS Fans are quick to criticise the strikers and especially Jephcott for not scoring. I'd say that magic left foot of Cooper's at crosses, corners & free kicks is just what they need. How you fit him into the side is one question and whether he'll ever be fully fit again is another. You'll remember our Head of Fitness departed last season. That came not long after Cooper's relapse. I may be taking 2 and 2 and making 712 but still.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

re 2.......Correct.

re 4.......Correct.

re 9.......Correct....but could still be bought....if the player agreed.....and the price was acceptable.

re 10.......20 player squad not acceptable.

re PS.......George Cooper......yes a good left foot.....but he would be lacking in other areas.....there would be no defensive cover with him in the team.......I think he would have been released if his contract had ended this summer.

8. notDistantGreen

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It does seem that after talks between Steven Schumacher and George Cooper it has been agreed that Cooper should move on....he is still only 25 yrs old.....and after two years out with a knee injury it might be best to make a fresh start elsewhere.....it will take a lot of pursuading for a new club to offer him a contract.....but who knows what sort of deal might be out there for him.

10. notDistantGreen

I'm not endorsing any of it but there has been chatter on social media about Cooper's night time activities (no, not that) i.e. nightclubs, drinking etc. It does seem odd to let him go just as he is returning to fitness although a) we've heard that before and b) we've alos spoken about how he'd fit into the team positionally.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Ryan Law has signed a new contract.....Schumacher has said that the plan is to get him more first team football.....which might mean going out on loan.

George Cooper will be helped to find a new club....possibly in the north...nearer home....either full time or on loan for the rest of his contract.....he is supposed to be nearly fully fit now.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Good news regarding Brendan Galloway.....he is expected to join in with pre-season training next month.......he has been making good progress in his rehabitation......been out with a knee injury since November.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Players will be reporting back on Tuesday June 21st....and a training camp away from Plymouth is planned as part of the preparations for the 2022/23 League One season......which begins Saturday July 30th.

New fixture list out on the 23rd June.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It seems that Panutche Camara will be made available for transfer.....he will not be signing a new contract.....so we're being told ?

Camara loves playing for Argyle.....but I think his agent has told him that he is worth more than Argyle can afford.

At 25yrs of age he needs to think of what is left of his career and earn as much as possible....because a footballers career isn't that long.

Best of luck to him.....he needs to put himself first and do what is right for him.....I doubt if he will be Mr Duracell Bunny for ever as he gets older he'll lose some of that running.....maybe we've had his best years already.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That's a shame and he is one player I did not want to see go. However, he will so we are where we are. Onwards and upwards. ALL players leave in the end and teams just carry on regardless.

16. notDistantGreen

Chris Errington sums it up for me:

"He is a good, not great, player"

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If he does eventually leave then I think we should get no less than £1 Million for him plus extras if he gets sold on.....and the same for Michael Cooper at least if he eventually leaves as well.

Ipswich seem to be interested in Camara.....they've forked out far more than £1 Million

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Can't see it being £1m somehow. As said he is good but not that good and has only 1 year left to run on his contract. Not saying I wouldn't like it but if we got £500k I'd think we had done reasonably well out of him. He cost us nothing when he arrived. Plus there is always add on clauses to consider.

19. notDistantGreen

The club have said it's unlikely they will release Camara to a League 1 club.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Even if that club offers good money to PAFC and substantially increases Camara's wages.....wouldn't that take the edge off his performances for us next season.....and don't forget he can walk away next summer for nothing.....our pockets aren't that deep to say no..... maybe we could stop him playing against us as part of the deal ?