1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

It's an odd world.

SIR HUMPHREY: Mr Johnson, we have the EU on the phone.

JOHNSON: Oi, Frogs, we will only start negotiations if you give us exactly what we want before they start.

EU: Interesting take on the word "negotiations". We'd have thought, being British, that you'd understand the meaning of the word but... OK. Speak later.

JOHNSON: Why are you so unwilling to give us what we want out of negotiations before the negotiations so we can start negotiations?

PHONE: Click... bzzzz....

JOHNSON: Jesus, they are so unreasonable.

ChilcoSaint, Saint Helen and davecg69 like this.
  2. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

If you’re not against his policies why don’t you support your democratically elected leader?

Is it not the MPs who don’t support their democratically elected leader who are on course to wrecking the party?

I find Corbyn’s position on the EU problematic too. But it is in no way a hidden agenda it is an accepted view amongst some of the left. I believe it is idealistic an that the whole party should unite behind Corbyn AND try and change the party’s position on Brexit to be a clear and unambiguous policy on a 2nd referendum.

The party has always struggled with unity as it is a broad church and struggles to be pragmatic to achieve the one thing that should always be their priority ... getting elected.

Our most successful attempt to do this recently was obviously under Blair. A difficult time! (I won’t mention the war) but we actually had the most left leaning govt of my adult life and I find that far more preferable to the pseudo-feudal system I am subjected to by this lot of old Etonian hoorays

Archers Road likes this.
  3. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

I won't support him because I believe that he basically quite a stupid guy. Failing to change your stance in relation to a different world isn't at all clever. He still believes it is 1968 and we are storming the US embassy. To think that was in response to LBJ and now we have Trump! Due to the one member one vote policy lots of Tories joined for three quid and voted Corbyn in. But I agree that overall Labour in 1997-2010 was a left of centre government. Things went wrong, principally the war, but for F**** Sake The Tories supported getting rid of Gaddafi in favour of a load of twats riding around in Toyota pick ups with machine guns, that was far more stupid. Corbyn still won't declare a Brexit policy and talks about a Labour Brexit. I'm staying with the LD's, I don't agree with all their policies but at least I know where they stand.

4. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

5. Onionman

Not a post to "like".

Vin

6. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

That is dreadful.

7. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

two way street

8. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Post#18685 Indeed not Vin. It's something to be acutely aware of. The small far right groups in this country are getting themselves organised, and I would not be surprised in the slightest if it was proven that the catalyst for this came from the odd few billionaires to fund this stuff and who wish to have the world move even further in their direction. Intimidation and Violence, says Owen Jones, will not work. But it most certainly will if we let it. Letting Brexit happen, for example, is just another step in the direction to make the ordinary people worse off and the billionaires' lives even easier.

9. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Not really, no. It’s not a street at all. Everyone here is fully aware of the things that Trump has said and done. Like I said before, the problem is not lack of information or misinformation.

There’s no need for anyone to regurgitate every incident of Trump saying something controversial because the facts are not in dispute. The difference is that you fundamentally believe the things Trump says are true.

It’s not a miscommunication. Both sides are getting the gist of what Trump says and does. Both sides are hearing the underlying message.

You think that it’s wrong to call Trump racist, because one cannot be racist if they are simply telling the truth. I think what makes Trump and his followers racist is the very fact they believe those things to be true in the first place.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    StJabbo1 likes this.
  10. benditlikeabanana

I am not defending anything that may have happened here, but without police incident report and photos how do you know this is not just another Smollet. Also this idiot endorsed punch a nazi, when he has never seen a nazi and pretty sure they are rarer than chicken teeth. Maybe some guys have started smack a communist, so that sounds fair, if you support violence against some you must expect to receive violence. A couple of punches and a kick does not sound like a hate attack, it sounds like words were said between two drunk groups at kicking out time

11. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Don’t get me wrong.
    I don’t think that he should have to step aside and you are quite right that he should put himself forward to lead an interim government, as is his right as the leader of the opposition. I am just saying that those who want to stop a no deal Brexit need to be looking at the bigger picture and should that mean Corbyn taking a back seat, in this instance, then so be it. It could actually help him win back support, because he can use the fact that the Lib Dems won’t support him, thus trying to destroy the chance of stopping Brexit, against them at the next election. He would have the moral high ground, and could put it in all the election material.
    My only concern, at this moment, is that the vote of no confidence is successful and that Brexit of any kind is blocked.
    Corbyn wants a general election and needs to get it anyway he can.

Archers Road likes this.
  12. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Oh just **** off.

SaintinSerbia and StJabbo1 like this.
  13. benditlikeabanana

many have said that Jeremy Corbyn is anti semitic and a therefor a racist, so that would also make the Labour Party and Labour supporters Racist bigots as well, got it, so are you a racist bigot

14. Onionman

Banana, since you're online and posting, I just thought I'd remind you that you haven't answered this yet:

Oh, for heaven's sake. Yes, of course he can react to attacks. But telling four women (who happen not to be white) the following [EXACT QUOTE, COPIED AND PASTED FROM HIS TWITTER FEED]:

"So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly......
    ....and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how....
    ....it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!"

is racist. Nothing less. Three of them "originally came from countries" that are...er... the United States. He's literally calling them foreign because their skin colour is different from his. Tell me why telling people who are not white but are American citizens to "go home" [to another country] is NOT racist.

I know you'd eat a plate of **** if you were told it came from Donald Trump's arsehole so I don't expect agreement but on this you're plain wrong.

Vin

StJabbo1 likes this.
  15. benditlikeabanana

ok lets get them pitch forks out and go hunting with no proof

16. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Sounds to me like you’re just trolling Nana, if you can’t come up with some actual arguments based on real evidence you perhaps shouldn’t bother coming on this thread any more.

Pydo likes this.
  17. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

I was waiting for that stock cut and paste reply totally predictable given the Trumpette nonsense you've spouted. Where's the Owen Jones statement you say he made? You really should back up your argument with verifiable facts or better just **** right off.

18. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

I second that emotion.

19. benditlikeabanana

Read the words, go back and fix the places they are from (which is open to debate if this means the districts or the countries their parents or grand parents were from, badly worded) fix them and then come back and show us how to fix the whole country. A racist would have just said go back and don't come back.

20. Onionman

Oh do **** off, Timmy.

Where are their parents or grandparents mentioned? I've also corrected the last sentence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. StJabbo1