1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ozil comments

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by afcftw, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

As an outsider, I agree Ozil gets an unfair amount of the criticism.
    Maybe its because he isn't as flashy, or his contribution isn't as tangible as say, Sanchez's is.

But the idea that the only problem, or the main problem, at Arsenal is the fans and/or the media, is completely laughable dogshit though <ok>

There is delusion and there is retardation.

2. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

Is 'retardation' a real word or am I just being moronic?

3. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I think you're being retardated

winifred122 likes this.
  4. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

You think that is the real problem at Arsenal? Genuinely? Not just that it is a problem that annoys you personally, but you genuinely and honestly think arsenal fans are the big problem at Arsenal??

• Want to challenge for the league and/or CL or at least show signs of progress towards those two
    • Want squad deficiencies to be identified and rectified in a timely manner
    • Want players contracts to be sorted in a timely fashion before they run out
    • Want to watch aesthetically pleasing football

Those four, amongst others, seem to be the biggest things I see other arsenal fans moan about getting worse and worse as the years go on.

So it's a bit baffling that you therefore seem to think that things like those four things are the things that any manager or club would NOT try and do.

5. winifred122

Thanks for clearing that up.

6. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Lets deal with these things, as if it will make much difference:

1. Wenger and the club was getting stick after qualifying for the Champions league knockout stages for 18 years in a row. And being in the top 4 of the league for 19 years in a row. I'm not really sure how that isn't "Challenging". If you genuinely only consider 3 or 4 clubs as actually "Challenging" for the CL then start supporting clubs abroad, because I doubt we are going to have an English club challenging for the CL for the foreseeable future.

2. Squad deficiencies are in the minds of the fans. If you can look at Ozil and decide that he is lazy and needs to be replaced, then you are simply inventing squad deficiencies. You can't expect the club to act on delusional fantasies. Xhaka and Ozil are 2 of the 3 hardest working players on the team. So you have fans saying, "They just want the players to show some desire". and then they slate the two players with the most desire and want them replaced. So clearly most fans don't even have a consistent rational opinion on where the deficiencies are. It is impossible for any manager to fulfill diametrically opposed wishes from fans.

3. The contract situation is far less black and white than fans assume. Say you agree a 4 year contract with Sanchez at 300K/week. You still get nothing for him when that contract ends and if you pay him 300 a week that means you can sign no new players for 4 years, Even when Sanchez is 32, Injury prone and has lost 5 yards of pace. And are you really advocating that the club say - "We will pay whatever you ask for," to the players. Do you really think that will end well?

4. I don't think anyone can say Arsenal football has not be aesthetically pleasing over Wenger's reign. In fact a lot of fans say that it hasn't been practical enough.

I just want to point out to you the 2 paradoxes in your post.

1. You want to make sure they concentrate the club's funds on signing players to fill deficiencies. You want the club to concentrate their funds on existing players salaries to ensure they don't leave.

2. You want the team to concentrate on challenging for titles and Championships and make sure that the team is winning. You want the team to concentrate on playing aesthetically pleasing football.

The fact that you can write that post without realizing that you are asking for things that are diametrically opposed, and impossible to deliver just demonstrates your lack of understanding.

I'm not saying that fan's contribute to the problems at the club, except when they make the atmosphere as toxic as it is now. But I do think that the "problems" at the club are pretty much just challenges faced by every club in football, more or less, in proportion to the money they have available.

The fans of other clubs don't want to admit that the only reason they win is because a Russian or a Saudi billionaire buys them the league, so the press and the pundits, who earn money by being popular with those teams, like to minimize that.

Come on guys, this is just common sense. I'm not claiming the moon is made of cheese or something really stupid, so stop pretending that I am.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I tell you what. Find a single other person on this forum of any affiliation who thinks that simply reaching the CL KO stages means you're challenging for it, or that finishing in the top4 means you're challenging for the league.

So in your opinion, outside of the usual 3 or 4 clubs, Arsenal are next in line??

You can't make a story up and then say WE'RE the ones making something up. I think Ozil is actually quite good. Completely mismanaged, but still quite a good player and would thrive elsewhere, as he did for most of his time in Madrid. Choosing Ozil as an example of our squad deficiency to argue we DON'T have a squad deficiency is nonsense. We don't have any quality central midfielders. Say what you want about Xhaka, but he is bang average. Plus we don't have good enough centre backs to play 3 CBs. Plus it's taken us years to sign a striker to replace RVP (assuming Laca becomes that man).

NO it isn't.

Eh? What are you talking about? If you want a fee for a player, the whole point is you do it well before the contract ends. If they get anywhere near two years to the end of the contract, you either get them to sign a new one or you sell them. Almost every other club manages it fine.

Why on earth not? We have a huge squad and could cull almost a dozen players to offset wages for worldies like Sanchez.

Again, that;s not the point. If they don't sign, then you sell before they get within 2 years of contract end. If they want to play for you they'll sign a contract. Our problem is that we are managed by a moron who the very best players (ie Sanchez) clearly don't want to play for and thererfore they should be sold well before contract end. Heck even mediocre tat like Oxlade didn't want to play for him.

Have you even watched Arsenal in recent years? Our football has been getting more and more turgid. Posession heavy most of the time with little of the swift attacking we saw 10+ years ago. Last season, a lot of the time we were dour as ****e. It used to be very aesthetically pleasing. Now, for the most part, we're outshone by quite a few teams in the prem.

So in your opinion it's impossible to sign good players and keep the good players you have? Why do most other clubs manage it then? Not a paradox.

Also not a paradox. Big trophy winners in recent years: PSG, Sevilla, Monaco, Barca, Real, Bayern, Atletico, City, Chelsea, United, Leicester. Most of those play aesthetically pleasing football. Not a paradox.

The fact you think those things are diametrically opposed (you seem to like that phrase as if it you think it makes your comments slightly less ludicrous) shows how low your expectations of Arsenal FC are. Lots of other big clubs manage both, but you don't perfectly happy with Arsenal not being able to.

Well you did actually. You said "the fans were the real problem at Arsenal".

Again, I'm not sure you even read these fora that much. Chelsea fans frequently say they couldn't care less. Why would they care? If Usmanov took over and went on a £500m transfer spending spree and got us in a decent manager and we won the league and CL double... would you care if a United fan said "ha, you only bought that success?" Any fan who says yes is just jealous because their club isn't one of the rich playthings. You don't run this club. You make no money from them. You're not invested in them as a business so why would you give two stuffs about how their finances are managed? More evidence of you being an Arsene book balancing fan than an Arsenal fan, proud of how we're a sustainable 'business' even though you have absolutely nothing to do with the business.

On the contrary, you constantly make stupid claims and absurd comments with no logic

In 2012 you predicted we'd finish first and that "I don't think I have any fear that the Arsenal forwards are going to score goals. Giroud and Podolski have a good pedigree and I am sure that if Manchester United had signed either, they would be already crowned champions by most of the press"

in 2014 you once again predicted we'd finish first but also this time by a wide margin and that "Sanchez, Walcott, Ozil, Ramsey, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Szczesny, could all easily be considered the best player in the entire PL at their position. Cazorla, Campbell, Gibbs, Ox, and Debuchy are all candidates for the top 5 at their position"

Once again this season you predict we'll finish first and that "Chambers is top class as a CB in a back 3... For the first time Arsenal have at least 2 solid players in every position, most of whom would be first team for any other club. "

8. ToledoTrumpton

As I said - it makes no difference. You don't accept that Arsenal are not in the same financial category as Real Madrid, Manchester United or Chelsea etc, and as long as you expect us to be able to rival them as financial equals, you are bound to be disappointed. You see, you could have saved yourself all that writing.

And If you can't tell that my start of year predictions are a deliberately optimistic post by now, after how many years, then more fool you.

9. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

When did he, or any Arsenal fan, say this?

Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund are two examples of clubs who have HUGE disadvantages over their title rivals, financially, yet still manage to challenge and regularly win trophies, and do well in the CL.

Arsenal's financial disadvantage is MUCH lower than the two teams above, because of the TV money they get, yet both of those teams manage to do well (and qualify for) for the Champions League on a yearly basis.
    I would imagine, with the financial disadvantage Arsenal have it makes the problems that Arsenal have made for themselves even more frustrating. They are already at a disadvantage, yet they continue to add to these problems with **** of their own making.

I fail to see how Chelsea and Man United having more money was the reason behind letting everyones contracts run down to the final 12 months.
    And Wenger benched Lacazette and Kolasinac against Liverpool because Man United are richer than Arsenal?
    Oxlaide Chamberlain turned down a 180k pw contract at Arsenal to accept a 160k pw contract at Liverpool because Chelsea and United have more money than Arsenal?
    Your logic is baffling.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  10. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Until heads are pulled out to see the sun shining mediocrity will abound at this club, even amongst its fanbase!

11. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Where have I said that about being financial rivals to real Madrid? Again you're just making stuff up to argue against.

Why does United being richer that us mean that Oxlade wants to play for Liverpool on a lower salary? Why does United being richer than us cause Bayern to beat us 35-0 every season? Why does United being richer than us mean we leave players to run down contracts regularly? Why does United being richer than us mean we have Monreal playing centre half?

And your prediction of finishing first could be said to be optimistic I suppose. But the stuff you write about our players within your prediction isn't optimistic though... it's complete and utter rubbish.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    AndyI and BobbyD like this.
  12. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Edit double post

13. ToledoTrumpton

I'm done playing word games with you. All through your post you compare us with other clubs. You specifically mention real Madrid when you talk about our style of football. For the rest, I assume you don't mean Southampton who have worse problems keeping players than we do.

I don't expect my posts to make any difference, but my advice to you is to stop supporting Arsenal if you feel the way you do. Jesus himself could come down and manage Arsenal, and it would not make the slightest bit of difference.

You are probably best hoping that Usmanov buys the Club and pumps big money in (I don't think that is very likely, myself), because that is about the only thing that will definitely get you what you want.

14. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

You're 'done playing word games'? When you have no leg to stand on it suddenly becomes 'word games'? Saying that Arsenal have 2 players in every position most of which would be first choice at most other clubs is optimism rather than blind idiocy?

That you liken our stature to Southampton again shows your disappointing lack of expectation.

I will never stop supporting Arsenal. What I don't do is support Arsene. My advice to you is to support what is best for our club, not just support Arsene Wenger. However I'm a random on the interent so why would my advice count for anyone. It doesn't. Just like yours doesn't. But your opinions can be made. And they're laughable. And not just from me. The issue I have with you is that you represent everything that I see wrong with the club I love. Your thoughts and opinions I see mirrored in our board. Our board must think like you do or they would never put up with this mediocrity. You accept mediocrity. They accept mediocrity. You compare Arsenal FC to Southampton and think 'things could be worse, everything is normal and fine as it is'. Tolerance of crap is exactly what is wrong with Arsenal FC. And you tolerate crap.

What I 'want' from Arsenal does not require anymore money than we already generate. Plenty of other clubs have already proved that.

BrunelGooner and BobbyD like this.
  15. ToledoTrumpton

I don't just support Wenger, I pretty much support every player and everyone who is at Arsenal. But you don't support Arsenal. You support only what you think is best for the club. If Arsenal happen to do what you want, you support them to win. If they don't **** 'em.

That is a pretty useless support to be honest.

16. winifred122

Eh? How is that not supporting Arsenal? I'm very confused by this...

17. ToledoTrumpton

Because your support is conditional. It is like saying you only love your wife if she does certain things. That doesn't mean that you love your wife, just that you love what she does.

18. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Still no logic there I'm afraid. I support what is best for the club. Everyone should do that. Once again, the fact you disagree with that speaks volumes about your tolerance of crap. Indeed by disagreeing with it, it suggests you support what is detrimental to the club. And why would anyone support something that is detrimental to the club?

19. ToledoTrumpton

This is the problem with these threads, you can say that the Earth is round and people will twist your words to argue with you. There is an established concept of "conditional" love and it is absolutely transferable to love for a football club.

I'm not the person with the stupid opinion on this one I'm afraid. Tell your partner you will only love them if they do what you want them to do. Hope that works out for you.

20. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I assume you mean unconditional love. And no it shouldn't transfer to a football club. And if it did for anyone I'd question their worth to the world.

If Arsenal starting exploiting slavery and/or children I'd disown them. If Arsenal FC somehow caused pain and suffering to my family I'd disown them.

There are very few people that have unconditional love for anything and they're disturbed individuals.

lazarus20000 likes this.