1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ozil comments

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by afcftw, Sep 2, 2017.

1. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41137139

He talks a lot of sense in my opinion.

-------------------------------

Mesut Ozil: Arsenal midfielder tells ex-players to 'stop talking and start supporting'
    please log in to view this image

Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil has defended his performances for the club and urged critical former players to "stop talking and start supporting".

Ozil, 28, and his team-mates have received criticism after poor performances so far this season.

The Gunners lost 4-0 against Liverpool in their last Premier League game.

"Personally I've had to accept a lot of criticism during my time in London," Ozil said, writing on his Facebook page.

The German international, who joined Arsenal four years ago from Real Madrid, said he felt he could be proud of winning three FA Cups in that time.

"Too expensive, too greedy, bad body language, and lacking fight - this is what people have said about me," he said.

"Some of these comments are made by those who do not know me, some are made by former players - both successful and unsuccessful during their time here at the club. Although criticism is something that all football players have to deal with, I nevertheless expected legends to behave like legends - my advice to these former Gunners is stop talking and start supporting."

Achievements at Arsenal
    Arsenal, and manager Arsene Wenger, have received criticism during the early part of the season for poor performances that saw the club lose at Stoke and Liverpool in consecutive games.

Former players Ian Wright and Martin Keown both said Arsenal were in crisis, with Wright describing the club's situation as "a nightmare".

At the end of the transfer window Arsenal missed out on target Thomas Lemar from Monaco, while Alex Oxlade Chamberlain joined Liverpool, and striker Alexis Sanchez came close to leaving the club.

"We have achieved a lot in our four years together," Ozil said. "Three of the 13 FA Cup victories have been accomplished in the past four years, with the other 10 taking 75 years for the club to win. This is in addition to our three Community Shield wins.

"After all, six [trophies] in four years is quite something. However, this only makes myself and the team even more disappointed for not playing a role in the title race at the end of last season - this is something we hope to change this year.

"Even though I personally do not know how my career will continue after this year, I look forward to my fifth season with Arsenal. This is because Arsenal is a great club with great people and great traditions. I am glad to be able to wear your shirt, Gooners. I've had so many great moments in the last four years and I really appreciate what this club means to the people of London, the UK and all over the world."

----------------------------

He's an Arsenal player and I intend to support him until he goes. I think he works harder than he is given credit for and has been a key part in us winning trophies again after the baron years. My favourite player and I'll be sad when he leaves. Hope he gets to win something else before his time with us is finished. And I hope people get off his back and appreciate what he gives us.

ToledoTrumpton likes this.
  2. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

The simplest interpretation of what these pundits have said is that they just care about Arsenal more than he does, and it genuinely pains them to see you languishing into mediocrity. The fact that he's harping on about the Community Shield victories is laughable. Is Ozil Ty's long lost brother?

Skylarker likes this.
  3. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

No, the simplest interpretation of what these pundits have said, is they don't give a **** about Arsenal, whore themselves out, and say what ever they think will be popular with the most people, so they can collect their next cheque.

4. Citizen Kane

So you honestly believe that Mesut Ozil cares about Arsenal more than Ian Wright?

Again, the simplest interpretation is that these pundits are using their position of influence to try to bring about change at the club they love.

5. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Lots of the time pundits come across like they want to constantly remind everyone how good the club was when it was them as the star players and put unrealistic expectations on the current bunch. It comes across as all about ego often and not about the current state of the club. Not saying that's always the case but it is a lot of the time.

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

The community shield comments are embarrassing, but he's got a point about the 3 FA cups in the last 4 seasons. I tend to agree with both him and the pundits really. Arsenal have been well below par, but I'd like to see them giving the players some support, especially Ozil. He comes in for more criticism than most.

7. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

The biggest problem that Wenger continuously faces is he WILL be compared to his successful title winning teams. Things changed as soon as the stadium was being built but us fans, pundits and the general media are using his previous successes as a yard stick.

We will only gain some crumbs of comfort if we accept the current incarnation of Wenger, otherwise we'll be continually bickering about him leaving.

Only people we should vent to is the management and Board, having a go at Wenger is exactly what they want us to do.

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I would rather see Usmanov take control of the club. He would at least back Wenger with proper money to get deals done early, instead of dicking around like we did this transfer window.

9. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Right now of course he does. Why on Earth would you think different? Ozil's entire livelihood depends on Arsenal doing well, Wright's future depends on him being popular, that is what he is paid to do.

But even that aside. If you believe Wright's comments are detrimental to the player's confidence in the manager, and the player's confidence in general, and I don't see how you can argue against that, how can you therefore claim that Wright cares about getting the best performance out of Arsenal?

If he did, he wouldn't have said what he did. I just cant get over how arrogant washed up ex-footballers and armchair fans are thinking that:

a) The club cares about their uninformed and questionable opinion.
    b) The club should listen to their uninformed and questionable opinion.

I'll repeat what I said in a different thread. I think Wenger should go, because unless he wins the double this year, and maybe even then, I think fans would find a way to complain about him, but if anyone s misguided enough to think that Wenger will, or should, listen and follow the advice of all ex-players and fans then I think you are crazy.

Although it would perhaps be an interesting social experiment managing a club by a democratic vote by the fans. Id love to see a team do that, but not Arsenal. I suspect the club would be in receivership in months.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  10. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

So Ozil wants to be a lazy **** and not perform, and wants Wenger to not perform, AND for the critics not to call them out on it?

Sounds reasonable <laugh>

Mate there is no way Thierry Henry, Martin Keown and Ian Wright would be criticising unless it was warranted.
    All three of those guys bleed red and white. I can see that even as a Chelsea fan.

"I look forward to my fifth year at Arsenal", I bet you do Mezzy! If I could pull in 180k a week putting in minimum effort, then I would look forward to it too.
    Why on earth haven't you sold this gimp?

11. Citizen Kane

Ian Wright had the perfect response to this on the radio yesterday:

If you care so much about the club, why haven't you signed a new contract?

Case closed.

12. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I dont get Ozil.

He seems to like it at Arsenal - but 80% of the time he plays like he cant be bothered.

It really annoys me too because when he gives 100% he is truly World Class.

13. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Our acceptance for mediocrity is a problem. The truth hurts

14. TheBear

I do think Wenger is part of the issue. He's probably the kind of guy who needs a kick up the arse.

Mourinho always got the best out of him.

15. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Your problems are two fold.
    Your staff and your manager.
    Your board don't speak to the fans, dont relate to the fans, are easily led by the manager, do not reinvest enough money back into the team and when they do talk, they talk utter bollocks. And your chief negotiator, Dick Law or whatever he is called, doesn't seem to be up to snuff.

The board have a lot to answer for, BUT, at the end of the day, they aren't the ones who kept BOTH your new signings on the bench for the Liverpool game, it wasn't them who decided to play a right back at left back and bench your left back.

Your squad should be better, but thanks to your board it isn't.
    And the squad you do have should be doing better, but it isn't, thanks to your manager.

16. TheBear

Yep agree with all that.

Bodinki likes this.
  17. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Don't hurt yourself making all that sense

Bodinki likes this.
  18. TheBear

He talks alot of sense for a Chelsea fan. I just wonder what traumatic childhood event forced him down that dark and misguided path.

19. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

My mum and her family were Arsenal, my dad and his family were Chelsea.
    So there was a tug of war as a kid, my mum used to drag me to Highbury all the time, my dad and uncle would often drag me to Stamford Bridge.
    Chelsea just felt right, I can't really explain it. But I always take an interest in Arsenal, I wouldn't say I have a soft spot, more like just a "spot" for Arsenal.

20. TheBear

I had the same growing up with Arsenal and West Ham.

Like to think I chose wisely but recent events have started to make me doubt my decision thirty of so years ago.<laugh>