1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off the field operations

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Oliver's Army, Jul 5, 2023.

1. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Essentially the stadium is the wrong way round. Whilst the shots of the entrance overlooking the river are great, I've always thought it was weird to have the "back" of the stadium facing out to the direction most people come from. Same for the shop and BCH. Moving the shop to BCH (which i think was first mooted by Donald) makes total sense

2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Yes you have a point, away supporters approaching the ground don't see much to do with SAFC.

It was obviously built that way so our players and officials, away coach, visitors can be 'protected' from the riff raff <laugh>

TopCat_ likes this.
  3. ISOE II

ISOE II Well-Known Member

Why single us Taveners out @Smug in Boots we’re salt of the earth!

It is a good place for it albeit it needs some signage the road side to advertise the shop. It’s just a pity this agreement wasn’t in place to align with STID3 as the global sales would have been interesting.

4. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd throw a line in and see if anyone would rise to the bait <laugh>

I like how Taveners are proud of their pub, you don't get that with the Museum, Wheatsheaf, etc.

5. Brainy Dose

Brainy Dose Well-Known Member

The Tavern is the only place to be on a matchday.

ISOE II likes this.
  6. ISOE II

ISOE II Well-Known Member

To be fair I only drink there pre and post match but it’s a cracking pub. I do miss John though. Last chat was post the Mags game in January and he was having to wait for the crowds to clear and watch the Mags celebrating. His last match too :-(

7. CR17

CR17 Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

8. TopCat_

Thought the entire meeting notes were a good read. Acknowledgement from the club that mistake have been made and that they need to to do better in the future. Good communication and some transparency are key in all of this.

9. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Think it's good they're looking at shirts without the logo on it.

I despise gambling logos. Think it's because Australia, certainly Victoria, has a horrendous culture with gambling.

Good that they would look at an alternative even if it costs them some money because fans, especially kids, shouldn't be a walking advert for an industry that ruins so many lives.

Blond Bombshell and Robertson like this.
  10. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

11. Prehab26

Prehab26 Well-Known Member

Re the BCB and the Mag mess

There's lots been said about that topic and the owner made a statement about it, I don't think anybody felt good about that when they saw it. It hurt a lot and it will continue to hurt, and I think it's a reminder that if we're not focused and considering the fan in everything we do - then you'll lose sight of what's important to you and you might make decisions that aren't appropriate

Up the Bruce. No more getting the piss taking out of us.

12. TopCat_

It might sound parochial, but having local people involved in the running of the club is essential - a football club isn't like any other business - you cannot run it without understanding the area it's located in and the profile of the fanbase.

13. Prehab26

Prehab26 Well-Known Member

Competent local people definitely. Agree. As he said. Always put the fan first and youl get the right decision. Clearly decisions made before were not and therefore no appropriate (to quote Bruce).

14. TopCat_

Aye, should have included the competent bit. In my line of work I always assume people are competent.....something that doesn't always happen <laugh>

15. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

16. APC

APC Well-Known Member

I’ll say it again, up the David Bruce

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  17. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Certainly in the key areas that involve direct interaction with the fanbase. I've never understood the idea that we need a manager that 'gets the region'. That seems such a nebulous concept- how's he supposed to show that? I think what people mean when they say that is that they want someone who is like them, but not all people from the NE are the same. Surely we need a manager that is, first and foremost, good at his job- anything else can come later. I do think though that any member of staff, including playing and coaching staff, should be required to learn about the history of the club and the history of the wider area.

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  18. Brainy Dose

Brainy Dose Well-Known Member

Agree with most of that, and I think it's important that someone coming in to a management role understands what's important to the people connected to the club.
    As you say,not all of us are the same,but,we generally have the same outlook,often borne from history,as far as the club is concerned.

19. TopCat_

Yeah I don't believe it's relevant for a manager/head coach necessarily but the people running the club, who make decisions that directly impact the fanbase should have an appreciation of the region and the rivalries. Can you imagine Bob Murray signing off on the BCB being decorated in mag ****?

20. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Definitely.
    Although I don't believe that KLD signed off on that either...

Blond Bombshell and TopCat_ like this.