1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next manager

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc), Mar 12, 2018.

1. Rule No.5

Rule No.5 Active Member

What's most important for me next season, whatever league we're in, is that we create some depth of quality in coaches too.
    I miss Sammy Lee's enthusiasm on the touchline, and think we have sorely missed a cohesive backroom coaching set up for a while now...

Mostlymadeofwater likes this.
  2. Libby

Libby 9-0

<yikes>

3. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

No but I think he meant looking longer term than just the next 8 games. If this was the summer everyone would be in meltdown going for Hughes, and for a club that loves saying how forward thinking and awesome they are it is a proper panic appointment (which is what is needed thanks to the board doing **** all about it earlier).

4. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

<laugh>

5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Pochettino is a class apart, a real visionary with his own ideas.

He got lucky with Harry Kane at Spurs though. Everyone needs a bit of luck.

6. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Depends how you measure it. But it's boring to be repetitive.

Actually one other thing for now. This decision is not consistent with the club leadership remaining any later than the summer. This isn't just a change in direction, it's permanently shredding everything that has happened since about 2012. I find it hard to imagine how the end of season meeting goes that ends with the new owners being satisfied with all this. Even if you agree with what has happened, it has only got the next 8 games in mind. The problem with short term decisions is they have long term effects, but that's something we'll find out about in the summer.

7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Absolutely this. We need 8 points from 8 games, minimum. The long term project - if there still is one - can wait for now.

8. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I am sure there was no point in the planning that involved going down as that would 100% shred everything achieved since promotion. This might be a short term panic with a return to a proper plan in the summer or it might be a permanent change in strategy, it is too soon to say. If we had stayed with Pellegrino, based on the performances in the last few crunch games especially Newcastle, we were definitely going down so they had to pull the trigger.

9. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

... he managed Ajax to 4 consecutive Eridivisie titles ... I don't think 4 games at Palace was really enough to judge him by ... but each to their own ... Mark Hughes is more than capable of losing 4 games on the bounce tbf <whistle>

10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I don't disagree with anything you say, and the writing was on the wall when Kat sold out. I have been awaiting some action, any action or word from Jisheng Gao to give us some clue as to the new policy but ee hsve heard nothing except a load of tosh from Ralph months ago. We could end up being the new Man City, or asset-stripped and finish up in the National League, or somewhere in between, nobody knows at this stage.

The point is though, I for one will still be a Saints fan and I suspect you will too!

11. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

He had 8 games in the PL, no goals scored and lost every game.

12. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Compared to the rest of the world, we obviously are. The fact we can attract players over massive clubs such as benfica/Ajax etc. proves that to be the case. Money talks.
    I just think with the amount of money at our disposal, we could have a manager better than Mark Hughes lined up already. The next Pochettino IS out there, waiting to be given a chance. We got the last few appointments wrong, which says a lot about the state of things since Cortese left.

13. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Not without PL survival we wont .

Libby and Archers Road like this.
  14. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

No he didn't, he was sacked after 4.

15. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

The words I don't really want to read later together are "Mark Hughes" and "3 year contract"....

MIsaints and Saintalona like this.
  16. ElliotMP

He was sacked after 5 games after no wins, or goals scored. Still not great.

17. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Well, therein lies the issue. We should have acted ages ago.
    People are very blinkered, constantly looking at the same old names. But I’m sure there are absolutely loads of managers across the world who could come in and do a better job than Mark Hughes. If I was paid to be a football scout, I’m sure I could find one.

18. ElliotMP

With 8 games to go we really haven't got much choice. No manager is going to want to come here and get relegation on their CV if they're up and coming etc.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  19. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I just think even now we can do better than Hughes. But if it is going to be him then he gets my support

20. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

... that's what I thought ... he was sacked in September having lost 4 Prem games but winning in the Carabou Cup against Ipswich ... remember thinking at the time that 4 games in a new league trying to get a team to play in a different way didn't seem like very much time ...

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.