1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Shepherd's Clearing, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Try this post again oh drunk one, and tell me if I'm blindly agreeing with everything Saints do.

(Actually I don't know why I'm bothering. Night).

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

For the record, I had a quick look and I can't see anybody who has said this is a great combination of manager and assistant.

I have read a few say it isn't.

I've read a lot say, let's see how they do.

3. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

It could go all "Laurel n Hardy*

fatletiss likes this.
  4. lewebster

lewebster Well-Known Member

This is a great combination of manager and assistant!

#wemarchon

5. fatletiss

Correction

I've seen one..... :)

6. crusti

crusti Active Member

I have a pint glass of beer in front of me, its got beer upto the half pint mark. so the question isn't half full or half empty.
    Its not my round next, there maybe a debate on whos round is it before I get another pint so let me I`ll just enjoy what Ive got.

I'm behind the boards choice of manager,

7. Plastique Bertrand

Plastique Bertrand Well-Known Member

Good point as ever Gucci. As the sun sets on your current moniker, I've come up with Jay-Z (obvious), M.I.A Yoshida (kinda 2008) &... Prada Prowse (very now, very sexy)

8. latviandream

latviandream Well-Known Member

Is it possible to state it doesn't appear to be a great combination of manager and assistant manager, but let's see how they get on?

Possible concerns:
    1) If you look at the league record of the sides Puel has managed just before he arrived and after he left, they seem to have overall operated at a higher level when he was not present. He has also never managed outside France.

2) Black has no specific standing in the game for me at the level we currently operate at.

3) Neither man has the status or regard in the game I would have perceived we could have attracted to the role which may prove crucial with attracting some players and/or extending existing contracts.

Possible Benefits:
    1) Puel's experience in Europe and regards youth development are definitely plus points.

2) Black is multilingual, and fluent in French.

3) There's some quite exciting talent playing in the French league (or only recently moved from - Gueye at Villa) that we may be better placed to tap into.

4) It's far easier to spot negatives than positives. Every manager we've had previously in our recent history has looked in one way or another underwhelming at the time of appointment, but has succeeded with Saints. Maybe Les Reed & the Black Box can see things that are far better indicators of whether someone should succeed in our structure than we can?

We have concerns, but the club almost certainly know more than we do, so #wemarchon

9. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Is this what it's like in the shadow cabinet?

10. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

When you hear that the same old suspects are writing you off already...

please log in to view this image

11. Plastique Bertrand

Plastique Bertrand Well-Known Member

"she should keep her phone on, she might be at St Mary's by the end of the day!"

please log in to view this image

"I could be there too"

12. fatletiss

You mean lay out some pros and cons in a considered manner without effing and jeffing like the world is at an end? I'm not sure I'd be able to cope with that :)

13. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

The future is uncertain with this combination; we can only trust the board to have gotten it right.

14. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Yo bitches, what the hell? I wake up this morning and first thing I see is "Black wanted as assistant manager". I'm not sure if I'm ready for the responsibility yet.

I guess the board were impressed with my 41% 'like' ratio. (Well, who wouldn't be?)

15. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Good grief. So many swinging handbags on this thread.

I've got a low opinion of this appointment based only on knowing nothing about Puel and knowing more obvious candidates are available many of whom would appear capable of doing a great job.

I've seen nothing in the media or on the web that leads me to think there's something great here waiting to happen and in all the to and fro on here nobody seems to be able to offer anything positive either. Its simply people bemoaning the appointment and those berating them for having a negative opinion.

A positive opinion in the light of no evidence is no more valid than a negative one.

Seems like this is a risky appointment for the board. They've gone for an out-of-left-field appointment in full view of some great options. I was of the opinion that our football had gone downhill under Koeman and that under Poch we were much better to watch. I'm not desperately sad to see him go but I would definately have liked to see a more exciting replacement come in. Here's hoping that our football is good to watch and that we start to see some youth development again.

16. fatletiss

SaintNZ why don't you go back and look at some of the links that were posted about Puel. Some people have posted links to articles giving opinion on Puel.

17. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Is this the politics thread?

18. SaintinNZ

Yep, I've read them, DLTW posted a great one. He was unknown to me but the traits are pretty positive. A pressing game, done well in France with limited resources at times, has got the best out of Ben Arfa. Taking all that into account, who outside of the club would put their hand on their heart and say they picked Puel over Pellegrini? I'm not saying the board have got the appointment wrong but Puel has a lot to prove. If Pellegrini flopped nobody would have blamed the board. Not sure it will work this way round. This is definately the bravest appointment they've made. Adkins was popular and I was gutted for him when he was replaced with Poch but our results and placings meant Poch had to do little compared to the task ahead of Puel.

latviandream, fatletiss and prendy like this.
  19. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

I've just woken up, i log in and there's like 10 pages to read on new manager thread, i glanced over some commentrs randomnly, i've no idea what's going on, but it seems we selected Baldric from BLackadder as our manager or something like that :D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Saint Helen, steve79 and fatletiss like this.
  20. SaintinNZ

The new managerial appointment makes most of us nervous. Some people have lost their minds over it.