1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Millwall v Hull City

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Apr 17, 2022.

?

City win?

1. City win

2. Draw

3. Lions roar

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NewcastleTiger

NewcastleTiger Well-Known Member

Definitely, both could do with bulking up abit. Their second goal today came from us just not being nasty enough. Afobe shouldn’t have a free header like that.

2. Shark Sports

Shark Sports Well-Known Member

I have no interest in those loan back deals. They're also a bit pointless if he's staying anyway because the buying club clearly believe he'll be better in 12 months time but they don't rate him enough to play him. If we sold Greaves for £10m the first thing I'd do is go out and buy 2 top end Championship centre halves. As soon as he's sold his development means nothing to us any more.

Greaves has a tonne of potential but he does make errors, I thought he made one for their 2nd today. If we're serious about top 6 and his development doesn't bother us then the safest way is to bring in established defenders

allowentry, Evington and Howdentiger2 like this.
  3. springtiger

springtiger Well-Known Member

Greaves looked tired today think the last few weeks of total effort have made hi and some others a bit jaded. It showed again against a very physically strong and cute side . we absolutely need some muscle in this team , I can barely recall one half decent passing move by them - lots by us that faded in the final third through to being weak or having just one forward . If we pass it slowly we run into to a wall like most teams

4. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

Millwall boss Gary Rowett told BBC Radio London:

"Hull don't open a lot of space up so we wanted to go forward and be a little bit more direct in the early stages of the game. We were too predictable.

"At half-time we settled down a bit. In the second half there was a bit more zip about us.

"A massive slice of luck [for the first goal] obviously helps. It was most welcome because we haven't been a particularly lucky team this season."

On injuries: "Jed [Wallace, who missed the game through injury] will have a scan tomorrow, it's hard to tell [how serious the injury is].

"If a scan shows anything I think that's more or less going to rule him out for a few games.

"Scotty [Malone, who went off injured] I think has done his hamstring."

Hull City boss Shota Arveladze told BBC Radio Humberside: "[It was a] different first half and second half.

"A little bit I think we lost in the physical and that cost us the game.

"I cannot blame the boys, they're giving every little bit [on the pitch]."

NewcastleTiger likes this.
  5. kingstontiger

kingstontiger Well-Known Member

Despite his goal v Boro I still think relying on KLP to just hug the touchline and cut in is really limiting his threat. He continues to be very isolated. Set up really needs changing if we are to progress next season with or without KLP.

6. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

The bolded is exactly why top end champ/prem defenders do&would find it very easy to defend against him, he's very predictable ATM. I think everyone from the fans club and media should stop trying to put him on a pedestal because he's a local lad. He's got potential but so have tons of young players his age. He needs to really get his head down and stop believing in the hype around him.

Controversial I know, but if he wasn't a hull lad, then he wouldn't be getting as bigged up nowhere near as much by everyone

7. NewcastleTiger

Given his physical disadvantages don’t think he has much choice. When better midfielders come in he’ll start to be a threat in behind which I think is where he’s at his strongest, Forest goal & Preston goal opening day.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  8. Howdentiger2

Hmmmm I'm not so sure, he'll always make a career in football I've no doubt, but I'm not sure it'll be any higher then mid championship level ( which is absolutely nothing to be sniffed at haha ). Just look at the kind of defenders he'd come up against and the kind of players he'd have to displace and compete with if he wanted to go higher. As I said a few days ago on another post, I think next season will be make or break, he'll either relish playing with better players and use it to improve or they'll leave him behind

I would absolutely love to be eating humble pie though In a season or 2 though

9. NewcastleTiger

I definitely see what you mean. I hope he makes the right career move by not going anywhere in summer but the more I think about the chance to pull a hefty 8 figure fee for him the more I think it may be worth it in the long run.

He is still only 21 though, Bowen was breaking through at this point. Hopefully some proper competition can push him as this season he’s not had anyone doing that.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  10. Howdentiger2

Financially short term, a move this summer upwards would for him be best, medium to long term career wise I'd say another season with us would be his best bet. He needs games at this stage of his career.

If I was Acun I'd be sitting down with both him and greaves, giving them new deals with wages that reflect their potential and cover the club if others do come knocking.

11. NewcastleTiger

He’s on **** all here isnt he? He definitely could do with a new contract even if it’s just renewed terms on the current length.

I really believe we’ll see a much more finished article next season with better players as his strengths are his movement and being nippy in the box. Whereas Bowen was always a standout on the ball in his early days and developed that predatory instinct. Luckily the side of the game KLP has to work on for me is one of the easier things to develop as it doesn’t rely on instincts. Hard work in the gym and working really hard to develop technically to not become predictable.

12. Howdentiger2

It would be pointless from the club's POV to just up his wages and keep his contract length and nor should we. A wage rise and another year on the deal would be fair all round.

Re the bolded above, he's got to want to do that and so far he's not showing himself to be that keen and doing the boring behind the scenes stuff. Bowens strength and physicality was questioned towards the end of the season before he left us, he absolutely transformed himself that summer and came back a different player. KLP has the potential to do it, he just has to want to.

13. NewcastleTiger

I forgot he was out of contract next year with an option, I meant to extend it to the year after.

Yeah hopefully he pulls his finger out he’s got the perfect build to be a top winger and has a lot of good raw ability too. Just needs to take himself that step further by enhancing the things he can control.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  14. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

You been talking to Nigel Adkins?

15. NewcastleTiger

<laugh><laugh><laugh>Knew I sounded like someone

16. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

Greaves and KLP have loads of potential but are nowhere near the finished product. Like Howden said, we’ll get a better perception of their abilities and talent when they’re playing with much better players and/or competing in the top half of the Championship. As of right now, they’re two young players who stand out in a bottom half Championship team.

17. NewcastleTiger

I think the way they’ve both performed in their first full season in such a poor side shouldn’t be underestimated either. Hopefully it’s onwards and upwards from now for them both around better players who can help them grow.

18. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

First half we were the better side and played some nice football. 2nd half I think the difference was 2 teams, one that had something to play for and one who didn't have much to play for. Having said that, their big slice of luck with the first goal was the turning point. It gave them that extra bit of confidence, and they went to get a second and didn't sit back and invite pressure on themselves, which they did and credit to them for that. Something we need to learn from and get better at.

Baxter was excellent and definitely MOTM for us.

I thought Alfie Jones was the pick of the centre backs and was unlucky not to get on the score sheet

Elder was steady apart from his mistake in the back pass, but credit to him for rectifying his mistake, but Fleming is definitely better than him. Longman worked hard and didn't have a bad game.

Generally, the midfield did okay, particularly in the first half.

KLP didn't really get into the game and they handled him well.

Allahyar gave another energetic performance, and George's through ball in the second half, which was the only one of its type, is the kind of ball he needs to be getting more often. Only good defending blocked his effort on goal.

Overall, as Shora said we were a bit outmuscled, but a fluky goal gave them the lift they needed.

Real ale tiger likes this.
  19. Shark Sports

Shark Sports Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I meant the other day and why I brought Longman's goal & assists/per minute up as it's significantly better than KLP's.

With 2 years left on his deal, if he doesn't want to sign a new one, even just with a year's extension, then it's best we sell this summer.

We could do an awful lot with £12/15m

20. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Being selected for England, purely on the basis that you're popular with Hull City fans, would certainly be a new approach.