1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

McNair

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, May 29, 2018.

1. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

I've just heard that we've accepted a £5m bid from Boro for McNair

If true I think that's a poor price, and I hope we've put a sell on clause in

2. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Saddened but hardly shocked if this is true, just another poor bit of business from SAFC.

3. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

SSN accepted 5 million

4. clockstander

New owners, same clangers, if true hope this is a one off, but am gob-smacked at this tbh.

5. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

And instantly the new owners show a complete lack of bollocks.

£5millionbis a joke price.

6. clockstander

No confirmation anywhere yet, so I hope it is not true, and that the money quoted is not the only joke.

7. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

In 'EXCESS' of £5million. So hopefully around £10 million then. :emoticon-0100-smile

Maybe we need the £5 million now as cash on the hip in order to get some players in? Maybe we havnt time for haggling? With having a major overhaul we need to get players in asap. The £5 million would buy a half decent squad in this league. Hopefully any further sales will go towards players who will get us out of this league (Upwards hopefully)

8. E.T. Fairfax

Maybe we might get Grant Leadbitter coming the other way?

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

All fair in its way, but selling one of the main assets at around half market value, at best, is not the way to ease finances.

I sincerely hope we haven’t sold him for that, especially as there are multiple bidders.

Charley Farley and E.T. Fairfax like this.
  10. E.T. Fairfax

Dont agree with it myself either. The only way I can see it being totally justified is if the £5 million is there just to tick things over until that rich mate(s) hes been talking about comes over and starts throwing money about to the point where the extra £5 million which we should have held out for would be pittance! <laugh>

11. Vincemac

5 mill in the coffers
    Our new recruits will cost nowt and wages nowt
    That’s why he is going

E.T. Fairfax likes this.
  12. Vincemac

Yeh hope your right

13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Hopefully so mate, it’s a shocking fee for such an influential player of accurate.

I’m not sure £5million even short term is a massive aid as the club has to still be bleeding money from the wage bill. We need Djilapileofshity, N’Dong, Kone and Khazri gone asap as their salaries are killing us surely.

We know all about Rodwell, but these lads for all they aren’t the pond life he is, they need gone as well, £5million is a drop in the ocean.

14. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I think this just goes to show that despite all of their enthusiasm and attempts to do things their own way, the new owners will find that running a club like SAFC is not easy. They've come in on a wave of positivity (and relief that Short has gone) but they still have to deal with the same problems that he did and, due to their relative lack of financial clout, might find some those problems harder to deal with. We shouldn't expect them to be miracle workers and they need to be given time. Personally, 5 million is about what I was expecting McNair to go for so if this is true I'm not surprised.

Nordic and Nads like this.
  15. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Might be a bit of a reality check. We’ve said all along there’s concerns about them having the finance to take us too far, indeed they’ve openly said they need investment, I won’t be getting negative about them, annoyed as I’d be with such a weak negotiation.

We have to maximise what we get for the few players of value we have.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  16. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

On the face of it, squeezing as much as possible out of any deal for McNair (and anyone else) would be the best thing. Maybe there's more to it than that though. Maybe, like @Sad Ken Has said they're playing a longer game. I'm sure Stewie Donald will have something to say on the matter at some point. Given the way they seem to be approaching things, if they have accepted a low bid for anyone, I'd imagine They've got a good reason for doing so.

Nads likes this.
  17. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

Screenshot_2018-06-18-13-19-48.png

We have no idea what the deal is for. Exess of 5 million up front for a player who has had a few good games after a long term injury, wants to go and will be on high wages for league one is alright imo. Provided that there is a decent sell on clause in there as well, with add ons etc

The Norton Cat likes this.
  18. dansafcman

Why do people think he is worth 10 million ?

He had a few good games in the championship. If he had been on that form for a full season (or even half a season) fair enough, but he wants to go and any team coming in for him wont see 5 or so good games as him bring a proven performer.
    Perspective :
    Bain would have flogged him for 3 million to Brighton with no add ons or sell on clause

19. dansafcman

20. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

We think he’s worth at least that given the value players far below his ability are going for mate, £15million transfers are standard for Championship players and he’d easily be one of the best in the league.

I’m not having the injury card either, would someone bid £20 million for Bale and say he’s been crocked?

clockstander and Brian Storm like this.