1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

McGeady

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Dorset, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

Reports this evening that Aiden McGeady has signed a new contract and it will be announced tomorrow.

2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

You have to give the club some credit tbh.

No panic after failing to go up, just getting on with business and sorting out the 'Cattermole situation', McGeady's contract and bringing in the right kind of players.

Oviedo out of the door next please ...

3. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

You do indeed. Three better than we had players and not a penny spent in transfer fees. Excellent work from the recruiting team.

I've also read that McGeady has agreed to a 50% wage reduction to stay at the club. He's a class act.

4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

The new owners have done a fantastic job of trimming the squad and getting it into sound financial shape. For ages we've been hearing about getting rid of the deadwood and it has been attempted but these guys have actually finally done it.

5. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

McGeady's the most talented player in L1, even if he does try to do it all himself sometimes. This sounds really good news...

6. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Sad thing is that sone of our “fans” (very loose term) have been slating the club, owners, manage for the way the summer has gone. Fir me, it’s been pretty good so far. I love Catts and, if I’m honest, I’d have loved him to say “yeah I’ll drop to £5k a week to stay” but that is unrealistic and he goes with my blessing. The club are doing some astute business this window and I’m looking forward to a new season.

I honestly think sone of our fans expect us to be signing household names from top championship or lower PL teams! As it is, we’ve renegotiated an expensive contract. Signed a coupe of needle players and got on with things pretty well.

7. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I would'nt mind seeing if McGeady could adapt to a more central role playing behind a front man, whoever that may be, he played a game or two with Maguire up front last season, cant remember the third player at the time, but we looked very dangerous. Maybe these two in a 3/5/2 formation could work, a bit maverick, and who knows. Both play along the ground, and score goals, unlike our expensive front pair atm. It would also leave room in midfield for the many players we have who can also score goals and play with a bit of energy and skill, ie Robson, Hume, O/9, Watmore, Embleton, etc, just a thought, and not forgetting the experience of Power, McGouch, Gooch and Leadbitter, no harm done thinking outside the box on a forum. <ok>.

By the way there is a cricket match on to-day, could be a cracker.

Nads likes this.
  8. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

9. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

'A new deal' suggests a wage compromise, another good bit of business by the club imo.

We might still have brought someone in for lower wages but he'd have cost £2/3 million.

We can afford to pay McGeady decent wages because there's no transfer/signing on fee.

10. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Yeh happy with that

Makemstine Roger and Gil T Azell like this.

11. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

My love for McGeady is clear to anyone on this forum, to hear he’s taken a supposed 40% cut to stay just adds to that.

Yeah he’s sometimes lazy, he might do nowt sometimes, but he’s a ****ing player, and he lights the team up when he fancies a game.

As good as a top signing as Smug says, nobody can sign a player of his standard in League One, we have one.

12. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Delighted to have the bloke signed up and also with his commitment to us.

Are SAFC looking further down the line and hoping to give him a coaching role at the end? He is getting on a bit and to offer another year on what he had left takes him to 35. Methinks we are planning ahead. Would be good coaching our younsters.

13. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

If the 40% cut is true the man's a legend. He'd have basically agreed to stay and said go and get another player in. it's on me lads. I'm disappointed that Catts wouldn't do the same.

14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Adding the year gives him most of it back that way of course, but doesn’t weaken the gesture.

Great touch from the lad.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  15. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

How the **** do you know that Catts 'wouldn't do the same' . . . . 'cos I've got no idea about the circumstances surrounding his departure ?

Obviously this isn't about you just wanting to 'tar' him, without any evidence whatsoever, is it :emoticon-0112-wonde

safc-noggieland likes this.
  16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Stew did say last year that Catts had refused to write down his contract mate. That is fact.

17. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

Not tarring anyone with anything. I'm just assuming that if the club came to this sort of agreement with one player on unsustainable wages surely they would have tried the same with another?

Oh aye and the whole 'not leaving a penny behind' thing......

clockstander and Nads like this.
  18. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Superb news, better than a signing

19. malagamackem

malagamackem Well-Known Member

I honestly cannot slate Catts if he has extended his earnings power for another couple of seasons. Most of us on here would do the same. He gave 10 years of his career to us - mostly good times. if McGeady has taken a pay cut then all credit to the guy. Im just glad he's staying another year.
    The club have done very solid if not spectacular business this close season and Id rather us in this situation where there are only positives and progress than drowning, fighting for our lives, knowing the impending is inevitable.
    Well done to the club!

Nads likes this.
  20. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Mate you’re clueless... have you not seen everyone on social media... al the negative naysayers... club have done shocking business....

(If there was a sarcastic smiley it would be firmly placed here!!!!)

Smug in Boots likes this.