1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Maja update

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

I need to find the link, but it stated the new contract will pay him around £5000 a week, so £260,000 per year + whatever bonuses.

For a league one player, that ain’t bad. The problem is his agent will be quadroupling that , and some.....

2. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

Transfer/contract talk shouldnt be part of the managers pre game talk. He gets pressure to answer questions he shouldn't be answering and might let things known he shouldn't.

jdsafc and Nads like this.
  3. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Feels like a whole lot of posturing/chest beating from both sides for me.

Wouldn't get on anyone's back just yet. Thinks it's all just spin.

Gil T Azell, MrRAWhite and LAMackem like this.
  4. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Hows Oz mate?

5. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Bit ****ing hot at the moment. Boss is a ****. Missing England but can't afford to move back!

At least the wife is good. That makes life pretty ****ing easy. Hows tricks with you?

6. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Lets not point the finger at the club, he has had long enough to sign and hasn't. F @@@ him and his agent, there are plenty lads score at this level, he didn't in the Championship, he was crap or have I missed something ? Get Wych and Sinclair up top and treat him exactly as Reid did Allan Johnson.
    Little Sh*t.
    :emoticon-0116-evilg

7. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

He'll want what his mate Asoro is on at Swansea, simple as.

8. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

So did that mean
    He is on £700 a week now
    Cause he’s apparently been offered 7 times his current wage
    ??????????????????????

It was revealed yesterday that Josh Maja had told the club that his agent had advised him against signing a new contract at Sunderland, which led to a flurry of media reports of reported interest in the striker.

However despite the club agreeing to the demands of both the agent and the player, the agent has not spoken to the club for 10 days - since the deadline was set.

Despite a myriad of clubs being linked with Maja, there has not been as much interest in the player from Premier League sides due to the relatively high cost of acquiring a player who has only just made an impact at first team level.

The 19-year-old was offered around £10,000 per week, with a rise included should we get promoted and a release clause if we miss out.

Sunderland are still confident that they will be able to keep the 15-goal striker and he will travelling with the first team squad as usual for the game against Charlton Athletic, as Stewart Donald hopes the fans will remain behind the player and help the team come away from Valley Parade with three points.

Donald will join us on the Roker Rapport podcast on Monday to discuss the Maja situation as well as many other topics, so follow us on Twitter for updates and subscribe to us on iTunes, Acast, Spotify and YouTube to listen to the interview as soon as it’s available.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    smithy in nl and RTB like this.
  9. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Interesting. That is double the amount I saw quoted ..... which was from Sky sorts, so undoubtedly fed by this **** of an agent.

Vincemac likes this.
  10. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Lets reverse the process.
    He wanted to sign and then didnt, allegedly. If media reports are correct and the agent can get him a better deal let him sort it. For every day he doesnt sign lets drop our offer by so much per day//week. That means the agent gets a move on and the deal is resolved sooner rather than later or Maja tells his agent to go away in jerky movements and signs.

11. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Look at the teams emerging as interested. Mags, Huddersfield, Palace. Teams who can ill afford a box striker (look how we struggled with a box striker of Defoe's calibre who was a world class finisher on fire)

He needs a top 5 Championship team who can make allowances for the flaws in his game(anything and everything outside the box).

He's either gonna drown or evaporate into background residue imo.

SAFC is the best club for him but from player to agent to club, everybody has ****ed it. Such a shame.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

12. quinneristops

quinneristops Well-Known Member

Agent is taking a gamble I think, to see what interest he can get and will go for the money. Agents are greedy kunts and he or she knows all about the long term risks to the player. It is all about the money

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  13. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Stolen from twitter but quite funny.

Can see it now, @joshmaja scores a hattrick today, celebrates his third by running over to Jack Ross, whipping a pen out of his socks and signing a new 5 year deal

Montysoptician and Dorset like this.
  14. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Quinner, call me an old cynic but isn't it always about the money these days.
    I honestly thought our club were on the brink of dealing with transfers to the benefit of the club under our new ownership but here we are falling at practically the first hurdle.
    This is what I detest about the modern day game.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  15. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Hes starting

16. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I'm not defending agents in the slightest but what you're talking about is just the tip of the iceberg. A lot of them put in a lot of work getting players playing time at non-league and lower league level for no financial gain. At that level the agents are sometimes the only mechanism for clubs finding out about available players or for players finding out that clubs are interested but because of the lack of money available in non-league the players don't earn enough for the agents to get a cut. Agents are therefore waiting for that one pay day which might only happen with perhaps one in five of the players they represent.

17. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Suspect it's less than 1 in 5 mate!

The issue isn't those people, it's when a player does then make it and an agent "experienced in handling big clubs and players" shoulder barges previous representation out with promises of anything and everything. There needs to be a lot more done about agents in the game, every fan wants that but until the powers that be actually believe or feel it is a fans game rather than a mass money making exercise nothing will happen.

Gil T Azell and Makemstine Roger like this.
  18. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I suspect the better Maja does the less chance there is of him staying.

If he scores tons and looks great for 2-3 games then he'll get more offers in and leave.

If he looks shot or gets an injury/ tweak he'll suddenly sign the contract "he was always going to sign anyway".

19. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Well, yeah that was really just a figure I plucked out of thin air for illustrative purposes. But the overall point was that 'all agents are greedy' is an over-simplification. From a fans' point of view, controls on agents would be welcome, as would a variety of other measures to reduce the apparent greed of footballers and football clubs. But when you look at it from the other angle, it's obvious why the people whose money is wrapped up in football don't want to make those changes. And there are people who make a living from football that is no greater than that of the average man who could be adversely affected by any such curbs.

20. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I
    I agree 100% with Donald had about 10 years of putting up with the mercenary buggers at this club he has had a excellent offer if he thinks he can do better go and get it Donald said at the beginning nobody is going to take the piss out of this club from now on so except or piss off we don’t want your type at the club again.