1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours January '22 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jan 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

Grosicki didn't score his first goal until we were in the Championship, he's a bad example to use. Hernandez worked well enough, but we were in the PL with a far stronger squad around him. And even then I think he only scored 3-4 goals in between lengthy spells out injured.

2. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

Of all the players we're linked with, the Ryan Babel one is the one I find strangest, nothing to do with talent, but at 35.....come on, how much longer can he genuinely have left?

I also think the Yedlin one is a touch odd, we've got 2 decent enough rbs in Emannuel and Coyle, though he has more history of playing in the RWB/RM role we're employing well atm.

PS - if Arveladze ditches the 3 at the back.....I literally do not care how well we play, i'll be ****ing raging.

look_back_in_amber likes this.
  3. SydneyTiger14

Suarez just turned 35 and is being linked with a move to Villa in the Summer.. Babel was at the Euros last year with the Netherlands and has a reasonable record this season. If it was a 6/18 month deal I wouldn't be too bothered.

djsowtz and NewcastleTiger like this.
  4. Mckechnie Orange

Mckechnie Orange Well-Known Member

I would think that if we sign a right-sided full back we can take it that Emannuel is unlikely to feature for the foreseeable.

Maybe they see it as a way of adding experience at the back?

5. NewcastleTiger

NewcastleTiger Well-Known Member

4-3-3 wasn't the issue it was the players Mcann kept picking to play in it. Wilks main culprit because he leaves his full back isolated all game. Elder's inability to stop a cross didn't help either. If we have better attackers it'll stop oppositions committing so many players forward as they'll have to be wary of them. Longman instead of Wilks on the wing would help too as he's up and down like KLP. 4-3-3 wasn't the issue Mcann was.

6. NewcastleTiger

Good experienced forward to help the younger lads too, that contract length would be perfect.

7. Mckechnie Orange

Plenty of decent sides play a back 4.

8. NewcastleTiger

We literally won the league playing it last season, anyone who thinks a formation is the issue rather then actual player performance doesn't understand football....

9. Mckechnie Orange

Agree that Elder can be suspect at this level defensively, though I sometimes wonder if he'd be better with a bit more help.

We'd need to find a way of preventing Smallwood being overwhelmed through the middle too of we went back to a 4-3-3.

springtiger and NewcastleTiger like this.
  10. Allahyar Sayyadmanesh

11. NewcastleTiger

I prefer the 4231 version so Doc is next to him, I hope we don't switch from 3-4-3 as Dish, Maka and Greaves are all undroppable at the min anyway, but to think
    4-3-3 was the issue with the poor form is ludicrous, we played hoof ball to Josh Mag with no one near him so he'd lose the ball at the half way line allowing them to sustain attacks for longer. Our biggest win this season was playing 4-3-3, confidence was shattered in the 10 game run after that with us being competitive in a lot of games but we just couldn't hit a barn door. Wasn't the formations fault it was the players.

springtiger and Mckechnie Orange like this.
  12. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Akinfenwa at Wycombe isn't a special case, he's knocking on 40 and still played 33 games in the Championship last season.

The age thing with footballers has always bothered me, yes you get slower as you get older, but it's relative and Babel would still easily be one of the best players in the Championship, even at 35. If he has two seasons left in him and he performs well, he'll be a bargain.

13. Mckechnie Orange

If you don't convert your chances, you aren't going to win, regardless of formation.

I do think players sometimes gain confidence in a system though, and I wouldn't necessarily change for the sake of it if it was working.

If we did go back to 4-3-3 then maybe we'd look at playing 2' holders' - but then you'd risk losing the legs of Docherty.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    NewcastleTiger likes this.
  14. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

Apparently they're offering Yedlin a 12/18 month contract.

15. djsowtz

djsowtz Well-Known Member

i was wondering about that situation too.

16. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

If it was me I’d be keeping hold of Darnborough. Doubt he’s costing much and definitely handy to have someone on your team who knows the domestic market. Would need replacing if he goes, can’t rely on foreign imports.

17. Mckechnie Orange

If it was me, he'd have been gone after his signings down-tooled after not delivering value and got us relegated with a whimper whilst simultaneously costing us millions.

He's done better with nowt to spend than he did with money but is he really the man to recruit for a promotion push?

Would probably be a good chief scout for the academy.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  18. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I don't find the Yedlin interest odd, we are short of cover in certainly the right back area as shown with Coyle out we had luckily gone to a 3 at the back.

From what I see these new management team and owner have done their homework and are targeting areas which we need strengthening.

It does seem we may well be going back to a 433 at some stage, but as long as we have the right players to play it, then there is nothing wrong with it.

19. Shark Sports

Shark Sports Well-Known Member

Would take him in a heartbeat, he'd be great for us as would Yedlin. If we sign Allayhar, Babel and a full back I do find it difficult to see where Longman fits in.

20. SydneyTiger14

KLP and Longman playing off Allayhar, with Babel off the bench?

NewcastleTiger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.