1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

James Ward-Prowse

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Apr 24, 2022.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Beckham tagged JWP saying just 4 more to go :)

2. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Would be staggering if (when) he can make it .To overcome a media icon such as him.

3. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

Can you imagine he gets more this season but breaks the record at Utd or Pool, the media frenzy of that club helping him be the record holder. We’d barely get a mention.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  4. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

BBC Leeds v Saints match report.
    "Such is the England player's reputation that as soon as Kyle Walker-Peters was fouled near the edge of the Leeds box by Luke Ayling, a worried murmur spread among the home fans. They knew what was coming."

I absolutely love it that every fan knows about him and he plays for us. Every side has a goal scorer but not like ours. The one against Wolves should be goal of the season, no question in my mind.
    https://gifs.com/gif/79Yv51

Maybe not be a popular opinion but despite the previous paragraph, James' excellence at free kicks masks other aspects of his game. I don't think he is anymore than average without the set pieces. He's important to us no doubt and I wouldn't sell him but he has also had some pretty uninspiring games this season. I really can't see a top six side even wanting him, I think they would be after better players to be honest.

I put this in because on 29secs there's a guy in the top left corner who's got his arms out ready to signal wide then has to put them on his head.<laugh>

Saints_Alive and garysfc like this.
  5. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Personally I think you're mistaking "average" for "average performances". He started this season slowly without a doubt but he plays a position that doesn't stand out a lot of the time during games. You tend to focus more on the full backs, defence and attack. He's much better than an average player IMO.

6. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I agree that there are elements of JWP's game that should be better. He tends to prefer operating in a deeper-lying role when we'd be much better off having him on the edge of the box than Romeu (as evidenced by the goal he scored). He should be more of a threat from open play, scoring and passing, with the ball at his feet in general.

But his ability to generate scoring chances from dead balls and crosses has come on by such leaps and bounds that those quibbles fade pretty significantly. Lacking those elements prevents him from being a world class midfielder, but it doesn't prevent him from being a very good one.

7. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Simply too important to us to sell. Obviously the scenario changes if he wants to move but at the moment we'd be mad to sell him.

8. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I think people are absolutely insane if they think all he offers is his set pieces.
    He’s our best player by far even without free kicks.
    Absolute leader and still improving.
    Should start for England with rice in the pivot.

9. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

upload_2022-4-26_11-34-14.png

I don't think that all he offers is his set pieces but I do think he is pretty ordinary without them.

10. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Unless he signs for Manchester United who have managed to f*** up Sancho.

11. Osvaldorama

I’d play Bellingham just ahead of rice & jwp personally.

rice jwp
    Foden? Bellingham Sterling?
    Kane

12. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I think Phillips is a better player than JWP apart from the free kicks. I guess it’s just how highly you value those over better all round game or just how much better Phillips is than JWP at in play stuff

13. Osvaldorama

Interesting. I disagree. I’ve never seen anything to suggest he’s better personally. I think JWP is better passer, better close control and more of a leader. Phillips is probably a bit better at tackling

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) likes this.
  14. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

The “chances created” statistic is key to this. JWP sets up myriad opportunities for goals with precision passes and crosses. The fact that none of our strikers in form at the moment is the biggest reason why our form has suffered recently, and the Brighton game was the perfect example of this. Contrast that game with the Spurs match where we won the game thanks to 2 pinpoint crosses which Lucy and Che were in the right position to take advantage of. The same thing happens in every game, but the chances aren’t finished. He is our top scorer and has the most assists, which would be even greater if only the strikers would get in the end of the ball. It’s worth noting that the only other players who are top in both goals and assists for their clubs in the PL are Kane, Jimenez, Saka, Maddison, Richarlison, Dennis of Watford, and Pukki.

15. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Dennis of Watford sounds like he is some form of Royalty.

Oh and I think Son has outscored Kane this season, not that, that is central to your point! Agree JWP is our most important player and his stats should/would be even better if our attacking players were more effective in front of goal.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    Osvaldorama and ChilcoSaint like this.
  16. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

You say “only other” but I find it interesting that 8 / 20 clubs have one player top of both charts . That is higher that I would expect

17. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Is Dennis of Watford related to Vennegoor of Hesselink?

18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I know, I was hoping it would be fewer but I had to continue the research! Considering JWP is primarily a defensive midfielder, which none of the others are, it’s quite an amazing achievement though.

On top of that, he has made the most crosses of any PL player this season, with 276. Only TAA with 237 comes close, with Robertson third on just 177. Also top on successful crosses with 77.

it would be nothing short of insanity to let him go, no matter what the fee. Easily our most important player, the heart of the team, and a model professional.

Osvaldorama, tiggermaster and tomw24 like this.
  19. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

6 parts of amazing achievement from him, half a dozen of underperformance of strikers perhaps

The crossing thing is amazing given his position as well. Are those open play crosses though?

20. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree with every word there apart from "defensive". I wouldn't call JWP a defensive midfielder TBH. He's more a box to box midfielder.