1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Golf

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Dorty Dogbreath, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

My instructor advised me to get an inch cut off my clubs."Will that help me?" I asked. "No"he said "but at least you'll be able to fit them into the bin."

2. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

I think I can trump that, I found this last night....looks like the great man himself has paid a visit to my home course :1980_boogie_down:

upload_2019-4-24_15-57-45.png

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  3. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Mate I think you've spelt "stole" wrong

cronemeister likes this.
  4. cronemeister

Broke 40 for the first time tonight on 9 holes (39). Played 4 through 12. Main difference is I used my 3 wood off the tee where I would have normally used the big stick. Only took the big stick out on the 6th and the 12th and hit better tee shots on those holes than I’ve ever done. 5 pars (had birdie putts for 3 of them), 3 bogeys and a double bogey so I’m fooking buzzing with that like! Started pissing down just before I finished work so was gonna sack it off but then the sun broke through and the rain stopped so I was out there quick sharpish. Hoping to get my first card (of 3) in for my handicap at the weekend, just need to find a member to play with first (I’ve tee’d that up nicely for someone...pardon the pun)!

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.
  5. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Good going man, you've obviously been putting into practise those tips I gave you...and now want to beat me when we play <yikes> ha ha ffs <laugh> Ps check your messages!

6. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

I didn't last very long at my first job as a Professional.
    Some bloke came into the shop and said " I expect a good discount off everything I buy because I'm a country member "

I said " Ah yes, I remember "

JakartaToon and Dorty Dogbreath like this.
  7. cronemeister

please log in to view this image

8. Dorty Dogbreath

I got a call from a mate over the weekend to play Ravensworth this morning! Got around in just under three and a half hours, shot 79 with two birdies and a few naff shots. It's a nice course and was a pleasure to play it after thirty years away. The third course is hilly but very scenic with some lovely holes, obviously the Island is still a great hole. The only thing that spoils it for me is the proximity to houses on about four holes. Other than that it's a good course.

9. cronemeister

I have clearly underestimated your sneakiness....look at you getting in some local knowledge before you try to take me on on my home turf !! The 3rd part of the course is indeed hilly but you're right, the views are tremendous on a nice day. I'm gonna head out after work for 9 holes again I reckon having not managed anything over the weekend. The island is indeed a cracking hole, my best score is 4 on that hole thus far but I've only played it 4 times as I normally tee off from the club house and play the front 3 and then come back on the last 6 on the back 9 so I miss it out when I normally play 9 holes. That third part of the course has 9 holes on it 4-12 so i'll have to get out and play that part more when I just fancy a 9er after work, it's less faff for me as well as I can just walk over and tee off from the 8th and then finish up on the 7th so saves packing the car up and driving up to the clubhouse.

Pleased you enjoyed it mate, is your mate a member there or just visiting? The course is starting to look really nice now...a few of the greens still showing signs of the hollow tinning and still a bit bumpy but the grounds staff have never stopped and it's all coming together nicely. It's quite a good forgiving course in most places with only a few holes where you can land yourself in real trouble but you would have to be either really unlucky with your shot, or just monumentally **** to come unstuck round the place.

So 79 to aim for then....rightyho <laugh>

10. Dorty Dogbreath

I'm up for a game any of the next two Monday mornings if you can make it Crone? I reckon now I know the course I can shave a few shots of my 79 :p I birdied the 4th and the 9th, my youngest brother famously got a hole in one on the island back in the 80s! My mate who I played with today isn't a member but he reckons Ravensworth is better than Wallsend though he does like both. As ever with golf, hit straight and long and chip and putt well and the game gets easier. I've also played 16 holes at Wallsend this afternoonies and I'm ****ed now.

cronemeister likes this.

11. cronemeister

I reckon next Monday (bank holiday) could be a goer like but it would have to be before 8am. I’ve just checked the booking app and there’s a MacMillan charity event on from 8am and the next tee time after that is 1pm. If that’s any good for you let me know mate and I’ll pm you later in the week. I’m meant to be out BH Sunday on the lash but it’s looking very likely that it’s gonna be canned.

12. Dorty Dogbreath

****ety ****ety ****, sorry mate, just realised I can't play next Monday, got the grandkids. Maybe some weekday evening when the nights get a bit lighter?

cronemeister likes this.
  13. cronemeister

Nee bosh fella, plenty lights nights coming and games to be had :)

14. Dorty Dogbreath

Bang on mate, having played Wallsend about fifty times since September, today's game at Ravensworth was like sampling another woman...variety is the spice of life <whistle>

cronemeister likes this.
  15. Dorty Dogbreath

74 today, I've got the course tamed, two birdies, loads of pars, even a seven <laugh> Hitting straight is the key, first hole par 4 390 yards smacked two four irons to the back of the green, don't even need to hit the driver sometimes, I reckin I keep the ball straighter with long irons compared to the driver.

cronemeister likes this.
  16. cronemeister

I’m the same with the iron shots mate. Seriously thinking about leaving the driver in the car next time I go out but there’s 2-3 holes which i can nearly drive the green on but to be fair I’m far better off the tee with the 3 wood and it goes a lot straighter.

Off tomorrow so might try and get out early before I’m confined to fence building duties at home!

17. Dorty Dogbreath

I don't hit it much further either with the driver, my five wood still goes over 220 yards and much straighter. I birdied the fourth at Ravensworth the other day after almost driving the green (on the bank at the left side). The last hole on the third course coming back (11th?) is a tough par 4, maybe 450 yards, I don't think you could get a par 4 much longer, I hit my driver and then five wood to edge of green, got down in par but unless you are hitting straight it is very difficult.

18. cronemeister

That 4th hole is a right tease like. I’ve landed just short of the green before. The last hole is the 12th and aye it’s a toughie...hence being SI 1 :). My tee shots normally end up over to the right as you go over the little bridge as you walk down the fairway which isn’t a bad place to be really as it’s the best angle into the green so you probably don’t wanna be too straight down the fairway there anyways. Getting well used to the course now, next time I’m out I’m gonna concentrate more on getting my GIR % up, hopefully that will help the scores come down a bit.

19. Dorty Dogbreath

Having a swing tomorrow and all day Monday. Ding doing.

cronemeister likes this.
  20. Dorty Dogbreath

Two rounds today, get in there. Setting up my hottub now to soothe the aching limbs.

cronemeister likes this.