1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic General Election Special

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Dec 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Must say I’m looking forward to this becoming a politics free zone again

2. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

With the internet you would think people were better informed than ever before. You couldn’t afford to buy every paper but you can read most online, ranging from the Sun to the Guardian. However, that isn’t the case with many. Everyone got a leaflet from the government saying Leave would mean coming out of the customs union. Countless people claim they weren’t aware of that. They were interviewing young people in the street on RH the other morning. One young lass said she wasn’t voting because she didn’t know anything about voting and “they” should inform people better. The “they”:that down the years should be doing and providing things. Needless to say she was disgusted. Young folk seem to be either disgusted or outraged or sending Twitter into meltdown on a permanent basis.
    No doubt she is fully aware of the comings and goings of I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here, Strictly Come Dancing, the X Factor etc. Not thought of reading about these things on the same media, no, “they” should inform her.

3. dennisboothstash

Not sure what of that is relevant.
    You didn’t seem to think it was non binding and asked me to say where it said that. That’s what I did.

4. Barchullona

Correction - some people work less. Mainly pubsec workers. Even there they have had to backtrack as a 4 day week would not be feasible in the NHS. Good luck with going to the pub or eating out or using taxis or buses to get there if everyone is working a 4 day week unless we find millions of people willing to work in those jobs to make up the numbers.

5. brownbagtiger

brownbagtiger Well-Known Member

They went wrong by making it a simple majority rather than a two thirds requirement, which is the usual hurdle for any major change in constitution, whether it’s your local Rotary club or the Nation. That way if you have 2:1 majority, there is a clear feeling in the country that it is the right way to go.

instead, we have the current split mess where neither side has a mandate. I would argue that in this situation the status quo should apply until there is a clear majority in favour of change.

the second mistake Cameron made was immediately buggering off. He should have said ok, feeling on this is stronger than we realised, we’ll do a constitutional convention like they did in Ireland. That has been successful in bringing the country together and moving forward into the 21 st century on some quite hot topics (abortion, equal marriage, role of the church in state matters). Not everyone agrees in Ireland, but they aired all sides in the debate and got a clear majority to proceed.

this option was also available to May, but the woman has a total lack of imagination or foresight and she got locked into Maybot mode and couldn’t be shifted.

6. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Oh yeh like everyone would go and find the House of Commons briefing notes.

BUT they would have seen this as it was delivered to every household.
    please log in to view this image

7. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

To be fair it says the government will implement it, that government fecked off and was replaced a year later.

balkan tiger likes this.
  8. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

The Nord Europe grid will be complete by ca. 2025 offering a clean(er) energy system to 250 million residents at lower fluctuating prices supposedly. Waste of money to maintain an inefficient gas system as well, plus all the separate systems for the house owner. I could be wrong as not UK based, but isn't gas already more expensive per kj than elec now? It's exciting positive times for this.

9. dennisboothstash

Agreed
    The problems now are entirely due to how the referendum law was drafted, not the vote itself

10. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

In need of a larf? Then stay up Thursday night / Friday morning. See the heads roll and the whinging excuses.It's fun.

11. dennisboothstash

As has been said elsewhere the Govt that sent you that doesn’t exist anymore.

We’ll get another new one soon too

12. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

It also says "once in generation" too. Did the Allams have owt to do with this?

dennisboothstash likes this.
  13. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I don't tend to have any problems finding somewhere to eat out on a weekend currently. What a ridiculous argument that is.

I know you're retired, but it's absolutely absurd to be arguing against a proposal to give people more free time. This is a wealthy, developed country. We can afford to improve people's quality of life. What possible reason is there to be against it? And more importantly, what are the incumbent party offering that's better?

14. Barchullona

Apparently no one read that. Remainers claim Leavers didn’t so didn’t know what they were voting for. Remainers also claim that there was a brainwashing campaign which coerced people into voting Leave, Can’t recall getting any leaflets from the Government advising us to Leave,

charon-the-ferryman likes this.
  15. Amin Yapusi

https://trib.al/R1KzLS1

Is this really what you want to vote for?

edit: that’s come up as a dodgy link but I assure you it’s not; the daily mail.

16. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I wasn't online yesterday and have now had to skip through thirty pages resembling my Facebook feed before I went and removed half my 'friends' last week.

Those who are passionately behind one side or another are repeating the same inaccurate nonsense posted daily in Facebook memes, though quite how anyone can be passionately behind either of the current two options is beyond me, they're both wholly unsuitable to be Prime Minister of this country.

Half way through the thread, I started considering deleting the posts that were getting too personal, in an attempt to keep things civil, but there's too many of them and selectively deleting would probably cause more issues than it solved.

So please, if we're going to keep this thread open, try and respect others opinions without making it too personal.

17. Barchullona

Of course you don’t have any problems finding anywhere to eat at the moment. But you would if all the workers involved were on a 32 hour week. Same with pubs. Or transport. Where would all the staff needed to keep open come from?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2019
    Ric Glasgow likes this.
  18. Amin Yapusi

A 4 day week at McDonald’s on £15 an hour, I’d be on that in a flash.

Less money granted but what an easy life.

19. Barchullona

Don’t get your point.

20. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

And the McShiteburger wont be 99p anymore it'll be a tenner.
    99% of the outlets will close down ( not that it will effect me) but it would effect the thousands of young people that McDonalds employ because they will be out of work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.