1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Fury v Wilder

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Feb 23, 2020.

1. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

No one with smart money would have backed Wilder. A 50% fit Fury should have won the last fight. A 100% fit Fury would knock him all over the ring.

2. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

I agree with some parts of this. He has had his PR managed well, and has managed to paper over some objectionable homophobic views for example.
    However I think you’re wearing rose tinted nostalgic glasses if you really think that’s a modern era thing.
    Remnick’s book King of the World about a part of Ali’s career is full of exactly the same, as well as suggestions of blatant fixing at the highest level.
    I doubt it was any different earlier than that either.
    I also think it’s unrealistic to suggest any of us would end up with a cocaine conviction in the same instance. That won’t happen without being arrested in possession at the very least. If they convicted on admission of previous use the Police would be too stacked out rounding up government ministers to even have time to spoil football away days!
    Oh and there’s plenty of PPV money to go round boxing and MMA, proven by Fury getting £30-40m this morning.

So a fair bit I disagree with actually.

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.
  3. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

Interesting....I recall the Ali vs Norton fight from Yankee stadium in 76....Norton won it by a country mile, but Ali got the verdict. Even Harry Carpenter, a massive Ali fan, said it was one of the worst decisions he'd ever seen.
    Make up your own mind

dennisboothstash likes this.
  4. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

Ha, by modern era, I meant post-WW2 when the money poured into the sport.

Hard to argue my point regarding drugs without bringing up rumours and conjecture, so I wont.

Ill admit being wrong on the PPV money. I was under the impression that money/purses across the sport had dropped of late. The sport has certainly become more niche, whereas MMA has become more mainstream (I dont enjoy it).

5. dennisboothstash

Actually the book i mentioned was about an earlier period in the 60’s, but you’re right to mention that fight.
    Never mind Harry...even Ali said the judges got it wrong, and not decades later either, he said it in an interview a few months after the fight

6. dennisboothstash

**** me
    You must be 200 years old if a 70 year period can be lumped together as one sporting era ;)

7. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

I actually get bored of UFC. 9/10 times it’s rolling around on the floor. Boxing is a more technical contest.

8. Kevin Francis

Kevin Francis Well-Known Member

I used to think that. And to be fair there’s still far too many fights go that way for my liking but I’d say it’s more like 50 percent these days. If it’s a choice between the two it’s boxing every time for me, but I’ve watched some cracking UFC cards

Off The Line likes this.
  9. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Do you think marketing helps fighters once they're in the boxing ring?

DMD likes this.
  10. Heimdallr

That's a strange question. Not in one of my posts on this have I pertained to that. I have barely mentioned his ability or achievements. My initial response was to offer an alternative opinion on that he was just being himself and boxing/the viewing public having to accept him for who he is - he was until 2015/16 and his career nearly tanked. A carefully formulated public relations and 'rebrand' got him back in a marketable/profitable position and so to continue his career at the top.

11. Kempton

And my very simple point was that marketing didn't help him beat his opponent in the boxing ring.

DMD likes this.
  12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

That was part of one of the points I made earlier, where some fighters are seen as marketable, despite being limited. They're usually a bit flash with the one style they have, and get their early matches made that make them look really good and surrounded by hype, but they get found out once they have to compete for real.

Kempton and dennisboothstash like this.
  13. abournetiger

abournetiger Member

Fury did well, no doubt about that. Wilder didnt ever look like making a fight of it which made fury look better. Fury wont get that luxury against many opponents, AJ can box and can hit back, something Wilder forgot to do.
    The ppv price is a bit steep. £25, i have paid it before and will stupidly pay it again but it really should be less.
    Tyson Fury though, on his day is excellent - i still think i could have him - the fat pillow fisted bullshitting tw@t.
    Utt

Kempton and Chazz Rheinhold like this.
  14. Kempton

<laugh>

15. Heimdallr

No not at all, his unbelievable talent and ability did. Marketing got him in that ring last night though. If most of us publicly came out, whilst doing media for our job, and said that a woman's place was on her back or in the kitchen, homosexuality was the same as bestiality and were unrepentant drugs Cheats, we wouldn't be doing that job again. His public relations company have enabled it.

Perhaps the day after an impressive victory, what I've written is unfair and undue, but we're all adults here and I'm just offering an opinion on his successful marketing that got him back on the world stage. He said he's going to donate his purse to a homeless charity in Manchester.. Good for him if he does.

16. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I missed the taunt to Joshua.

please log in to view this image

17. Kempton

I believe he did it with a hell of a lot of hard work. Physically and mentally.

GLP and DMD like this.
  18. Amin Yapusi

Does anyone remember Anthony Joshua pinning Vladimir Klitschko on the corner and pounding the **** out of him?

That Anthony Joshua would give Fury a real run for his money.

19. Blaknamberblood

Blaknamberblood Well-Known Member

You mean the same Klitschko that had reigned supreme until Fury got his number and beat him with superior tactics .. the one that put AJ on his arse and never got near to doing it against Fury ?

20. Amin Yapusi

Fury didn’t stop him though, he played it the same way Joshua just did against fat tony. And Fury just dug into the big dosser the same way Joshua got stuck into Klitschko.

I think they’re quite similar in what they can do. It would be interesting to see how they both approach fighting each other. If Fury tries to fight Joshua the same way he did the big dosser, I think Joshua wins.

abournetiger likes this.