1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Do you "keep the faith" ?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Dell1964, Jun 13, 2018.

1. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Just glad transfer window closes before season starts. Cuts out those silly distractions.

We will have a team with a big mix of expensive new signings ready to go....

2. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

You are both right of course but what I should have said was better quality football than the last two years. Puel's year in charge was quite an achievment but the football on show was dire at times. That followed by last season's nightmare was miserable to watch.

3. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see if we achieve 46 points or more, 8th sounds great but it was only 6 points above the drop.

4. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

just better than last season please

5. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Considering anything not better ends in relegation, then that's a minimum.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  6. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I expect you'll sell Bertrand, Cedric, Lemina, Tadic and Gabbi for say £120m and buy 5 replacement players for £40m and fail to address the areas that need improving beyond just replacing our best players on the cheap.

7. GoSaint

GoSaint Active Member

I expect we’ll stay up, but not confirmed until near the end of the season. We’ll be frustratingly inconsistent, with some unlikely wins, some classic matches and some shockers.

Oh, and Harry Kane will claim all the goals scored in both our spurs matches.

8. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

More entertaining football with some backbone shown right to the end of the match if things aren't going well. Comfortable mid table finish with a good cup run (hopefully to Wembley :)).

9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

That's a common myth Richie, but Saints were 12 points ahead of Hull who had 34 points in 18th place. The reality is that Saints were rarely out of the top ten for all of that season and never in any danger of getting relegated.

Archers Road and Dell1964 like this.
  10. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

There's not much faith for me to keep. I guess I'll see what happens over the summer but I'm already feeling less interested than I have been in about 10 years.

11. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Is this the supporters survey under a different guise, Les?

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  12. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Saints resurretion to the EPL was built around a strong infrastructure within the club together with a strategy and a focus to succeed - led by NC. We no longer seem to have that leadership and direction within the club. If there is no faith in the boardroom; then this will, in time, permeate all aspects of the club. So whilst l keep faith with my team; l have little faith in how the club is being managed from within the boardroom.

Dell Boy and MIsaints like this.
  13. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I have faith in the possibility of a successful Saints team. I don't believe that it was a fluke that saw us to the European places, and I also am not convinced that the top six is impenetrable.

Do I have faith in the current leadership to get us anywhere near that point again? No.

MIsaints likes this.
  14. Dell1964

Dell1964 Active Member

Yep. Sadly, far too many fans seemed to be happy (?) to write off the Claude Puel achievements of 8th, Wembley final, Inter Milan etc.
    Factor in the behind the scenes fiasco led by (Billy Big Boots) Fonte; then the losses to long term injuries of Chas. Austin & VvD; Overall things weren't that bad...... and could have been a lot , lot worse.

15. Dell1964

Dell1964 Active Member

Mmm, with expectations like that........ the only way is UP <party>

16. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I thought it was ability we lacked last season, not effort.

Actually, we also lacked belief. When Hughes came in, he seemed to restore that. But I don't think any of our players could be accused of not trying last season.

We still lack quality as a squad imo. I really hope we address that this summer.

17. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

I'm an optimist. I'm expecting a reinforcement in the CB areas but little else in the way of incoming talent. Perhaps one in midfield for Stevo. I think that Hughes will be a dramatic difference over last years manager and that we will see plenty of wins and losses with an upper mid table finish. I also think that because we arent attracting new talent or spending big bucks we will see a return to the academy pathway.

Boufal is done and gone I reckon. Cedric may go IMO and be replaced. Bertie I really want to stay but if he gets a good move offered I wont begrudge him and will wish him well. Don't see many others leaving.

I'm excited to see what Hughes and his team can do. We have a distraction free summer largely with not much going on transfer wise and most of the squad not at the WC. Should be a steady period of preparation and chance to work this talented squad into a talented team I hope.

Dell1964 likes this.
  18. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I’ve supported Saints all my life .........practically.......
    Been up and down the leagues with them.......taken all the insults, finger pointing, sniggers from the Pompey fans when we’ve had a bad season or been relegated. Never once have I thought about giving up on them. Was shocked when they went into administration and delighted with the new team that took us over. Our current board I have my doubts about. Nonetheless less no matter what happens at the end of this season......yes I will be a saints fan....never in doubt.......

Dell Boy, SaintStu and Saint Helen like this.
  19. Dell1964

Dell1964 Active Member

Good on you, faith personified!
    So come on 'Beddy' (before the fixtures drop into you in box) what are your expectations for the coming seasons?

20. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Mate ........I have this awful feeling we may struggle once again.......I just don’t have faith in our current board and owners. The board sadly reminds me of the early sixties board who couldn’t recognise an opportunity when it was hitting them in the face. At best around 12th me thinks....