1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Clearout Starts

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sheffordqpr, Apr 6, 2018.

1. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

Call me a cynic but it's bloody frustrating to see a player upping his game ahead of an out-of-contract move. I'm talking about Onouha of course who has been immense in the last few games but whose overall performance has been chequered to say the least during his time with us. It just goes to show that players often have another gear despite the vast amounts they earn. Even more frustrating to have to lose Robinson who is now on the cusp of becoming a quality player.

Hoop-Leif and EscapeGoat like this.
  2. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

Gonna need a few cheap defenders then....

QPR Oslo likes this.
  3. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

If we can but defenders of the quality of Scowen or Freeman, then I would be pleased.

4. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

I wonder if smithies will still be with us next season.

5. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Onuoha may yet stay. He knows well enough he won't get the silly money that Hughes gave him and I can't really see him cutting it in the Prem or a promotion chasing Championship side unless it's to be a reserve team journeyman with the occasional game in the first team. That may then bring him within our pay structure because he won't find a taker willing to pay him much more. Robinson will be a loss based on this season's performances and I'm sure that Ollie has told him that it's time to repay the club for paying his wages for 3 years and not getting any return for that money until this season. Still if he is taking his agents' advice instead he will go and if he makes that decision I trust he won't be inducted into the Hall of Fame in a few years' time. Takes more than a few good performances and one match winning one against the might Brum to earn that accolade. At least I hope that's the case.

6. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Robinson should be offered a better deal than Onuoha in my opinion. He's only 24, still improving, and could go on to become top class. He could attract a significant transfer fee in a year or two.

Hoopington and WalsallHoop like this.
  7. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

I will be very disappointed if both Ned and Robinson leave

Despite what some on here feel, both are good quality CBs and losing both will put us on the back foot going into the transfer window. We'd like to strengthen individual positions in the window but this would mean that we have to bring in 2 new CBs just to stand still

If we get little back in transfer fees this will make quality recruitment even more challenging - I suspect that we won't be able to spend any more than we get in from player sales, and that the salary budget will also be cut

Frustrating when we're just starting to get some good youngsters coming through :(

Of course I may be wide of the mark and Ian and TF have a stunning masterplan ready <whistle>

QPR Oslo likes this.
  8. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

We so some people think that "Robinson owes us"? Like any professional in any field you go to the better job with better pay if offered. Plus he's at the end of his contract and hasn't been offered a new one so QPR think they "don't owe him".

bobmid, kiwiqpr and QPR Oslo like this.
  9. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Yepp. And I don't think we can rely on Hall who is a bit over-rated imo.

10. UpminstR

UpminstR Well-Known Member

Actually not worried about Smithies. We have good back up in Ingram and Lumley

11. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

And a sick note to boot

12. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I don’t think it’s a stunning masterplan at all. We’ve offered what we can offer and they can make more and have more success elsewhere. Good luck to them both.

13. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

kiwiqpr likes this.
  14. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

He has been offered a deal though or is in talks at least but if Dave Mac is to be believed both he and Ned intend leaving.

WalsallHoop likes this.
  15. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

I don't know, but maybe it could be based on Premier clubs letting his agent know that they are interested.

I believe that is common practice when a player is nearing the end of his contract & would not be an illegal approach.

16. 40 Years of Hurt

Agreed.....but they need to sort this because imo if he leaves in the Summer he will go down as another mercenary. Just because he is actually fit now and given us a few games what has he cost us per minute?!! etc etc. i.e no different than Luke Young who had a decent few games then didnt play for 3 years......Robinson is just the other way round..

17. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

This is all about sensible business and football management.
    Mackie, Perch and JET are sensible wages to reinvest in younger, higher potential players for now/future (assuming our scouts have been doing their business properly)
    If Onuoha moves on it will be because he is unable to take a wage restructure (or can get better terms elsewhere that he feels he is worth). Robinson is young and needs to develop more, and I’m sure there are other clubs who will see that promise and take a free signing - no brainier really.
    The worry for us is losing two competent players from our spine, and in particular the heart of our defence.
    It will be interesting to see how that plays out from now through the summer. But positive to see them clearing things up early, sounds almost like we may almost have a plan.

StortfordQPR likes this.
  18. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

Few players would demonstrate "loyalty" if it meant serious financial disadvantage for them, and I get that

A player's next game could be his last and how many ever have the same earning power outside football

I've recently moved jobs for more money (and a bigger challenge) and have no problem with players doing the same

Yes, we had to keep paying Robinson (and many others) whilst he was injured but that's no different from any other club or employer in another industry

19. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Robinson on a free for somebody and he could double his wages with a club not paying a fee. He doesn't owe us anything. He was unlucky getting injured but we had a contract to abide by just as he has done. If he has ambition which I presume he does then it's inevitable that he will move on.

20. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

we have to cut our cloth accordingly. Big wages, players that have ben injured for majority of season (Mackie) and contracts running down...we wont be the only club in this position and maybe we do have youngsters coming through that deserve a chance to prove themselves

daverangers likes this.