1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cheltenham away

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

A game of key moments, poor Bonne missing a sitter was pivotal. What a difference that made.

An unenviable record, 3 defeats on the row.

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Disappointing. Very bright start but it looks to me like we’ve signed one good player out of the 16. Forwards couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo, which is not a surprise given their strike rates coming in. In serious trouble.

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

The keeper made a couple of nice saves but is dodgy AF guarding his box. We have to go with Holy.

4. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Didn't the Pig score over 20 goals? My guess is he may have had a strike partner, i ****ing hate this one up top!!

5. Spanish

I don't recall him coming out and claiming one of them throw ins, just don't rate him from what I've seen!

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Yeah fair enough, but the year before that he managed 7.

7. Spanish

What's up with Burns and Chaplin?

8. Spanish

I wasn't having a dig, i was actually wondering if he played as a lone striker or part of two up front?

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

They played a #10 behind him but whether you could say it was two up I couldn’t really say, I didn’t see enough of them.

10. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

I still think the problem is the defence. This style and system requires ball playing cbs. Maybe we can’t afford them, maybe they don’t do l2?

I’m tempted to suggest Harper would be an amazing centre back he’s tall, fast and brilliant with his feet. Edward’s needs to play deeper and pull the strings so that front diamond can go wide, central or interchange some passes to create shooting opportunities. We should be raining shots in with this tactical set up!

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.

11. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Best time to play against an all new team is at the start of the season!

12. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Patience is slowly waining....with the so called quality players we have, they should still be good enough to be beating teams like Cheltenham comfortably.
    I've not watched any of the games, so can't see where the problems lie,
    Im looking forward to seeing coulson start, as in think he could make a huge difference, as well as getting Chaplin back

13. Spanish

Agree re Coulson and also Edmundson!

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Fair to say when the heads drop there’s every possibility it’ll get worse, not better.

15. Spanish

Fraser has to play in his correct position, not out wide.
    Not happy with donacien at RB, he is more of a center half. Honestly don't think Cook knows his best 11 or the best formation with the squad he has, rest assured it's not working at the moment and he needs to discover the best line up and tactics pdq

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Fraser is having an absolute stinker so far. He was awful today. Probably wanted the ground to swallow him up.

Donacien has always been underrated for me. People just don’t seem to like the look of him - I don’t think he can cross the ball - but he defends well, plays some nice little passes.

17. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Such a feel good factor off the pitch over the summer and a great buzz when PC came to the club but you cannot deny his record is just awful and given the players he has and had at his disposal it simply hasn't been good enough.

He was right when he said there would be lots of pain, question is was revolution the right thing to do or should he have gone for evolution, only time will tell.

You can see there is definitely an improvement in quality this season but the problem is we're an attacking team who aren't quite gelling and because we are a front foot team there's too many gaps at the back.

In the highlights I've seen and the game today we look very vulnerable down the flanks on the break with either the full back being caught up the pitch and the midfield not covering quick enough or the full backs being doubled up with the wide forward out of position.

I'm not a fan of Donacien, everytime I see him he's a 5 out of 10, not strong enough and not good enough on the ball, we may have look slightly better with him today but that was mainly because he wasn't getting forwards as much as KVY. Fingers crossed KVY finds form and stays fit otherwise I think we might need to get another RB unless Burns plays there.

I thought Penney was okay but feel he needs to be a little big stronger defensively if he's going to be so exposed.

I actually thought the CBs played pretty well tonight and Burgess looks exactly the kind of player we've been looking for, strong sensible CB who looked comfortable on the ball but knew when to get rid and was positionally very good.

The 2 CMs clearly have quality and keep the ball moving often with pace, however they did drift off in the 2nd half and feel they perhaps lack that ability to dictate play, they're both like a Matty Holland player, who gets stuck in, gets up and down keeps things ticking over but you perhaps needs a play maker in there to dictate the tempo, take the pressure off when it needs to and really turn the screw when we need to score, I didn't see that today.

What a player Edwards looks, clearly just lost a bit of steam 2nd half.

I feel a bit for Fraser as he's clearly playing out of position at the moment, he had quality but doesn't really look like a wide forward to me.

Pigott reminded me a bit of John Stead today, showed some nice touches and clearly has ability but didn't look like he had the determination to get in the box and didn't really look like he gave the defence to much of a hard time. Bonne on the other hand first half look great, his touch and running off the ball were superb (bar the missed goal). I'm still of the view that if fit Norwood would be best in that lone role as as a striker he has got alot of strings to his bow.

Finally I was not overly impressed with the substitutes, taking Pigott off when the ball is getting launched into our box probably wasn't a good idea and then leaving Evans on who was literally 1 foul away from a red was risky.

Overall I'm not too concerned at the minute, as clearly there has been an increase in quality and to have recruited 17 players a week before the transfer window has closed is unheard of however I still have the same concerns as I did at the start of the summer, have we put this squad together too quickly, would it have been better to build this team over 3 transfer windows rather than 1

18. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

**** sake it’s never easy supporting Ipswich is it..

19. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Sure isnt Topbunk, and there I was a jaundiced seasoned 72 yr old jumping up and down in 1st half yelling " I have my team back!"

20. Spanish

Ptc, agree with all that you said, i thought we looked poor down the right side. Donacien for me is just not good enough, takes an age at throw ins, passing is poor, poor going forward and just looks uncomfortable in the right back position, far better as cb!! Fraser is not a right or left midfielder, he was bought as the best number ten in the division.....so Fecking play him there.
    The two CB's done well imo, yes even Wolfy was better, maybe that was due to having Burgess beside him. Penney....hmmm not keen on him myself and look forward to Coulson coming in. My biggest concern at the back though is Hladky, just doesn't instill confidence in me, he looks quite small, maybe just an illusion though.
    The rest.....Evans looked like a cm Maestro against Morecambe but since then he has looked less impressive, Harper has quality, Edwards will be our main threat and a handful, Fraser needs to play as a 10, Bonne is strong and quick, i think that miss may have dented his confidence a bit. Finally the Pig, not so sure on him, not that great in the air, not much pace and seems a little lost. To me he does not look like an out and out number 9.
    I look forward to having some of the unavailable players available...

Hladky

KVY
    Edmundson
    Burgess
    Coulson

Burns
    Harper
    Evans
    Edwards

Bonne/Pig
    Chaplin

Or something similar, i just think with the available players...442 is best but what do I know?

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.