1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cheltenham away

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Aug 15, 2021.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Holy in for Hladky for me.

Penney for Coulson in the XI. Coulson will be handy for cover in the full back positions and wings but he's not our player.
    Unless there's a problem with Norwood I'd be putting him in.
    Goes without saying I'd put Woolfy in.

Would have thought Tom Carroll is the best man to sit in front of the defence. If Edwards and Burns are wide then you're dropping Harper or Evans or playing five across the midfield, which is what I suspect will happen.

Don't understand for the life of me why we've brought in two loan forwards.

2. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

I don't rate Hladky but feck me, Holy is much ****ererer!!
    Penney i just don't rate, whether he is ours or not.....it's Coulson every day.
    Wolfy....well that's just blind faith in your part Yorkie.

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Whether or not he's the best defender remains to be seen, but he's the best of them on the ball and Burgess hoofing the ball up aimlessly was a problem for us yesterday.

4. Spanish

Burgess is by far the better defender, not being funny but the position is called defence. The aim is not to be like Iniesta but more like Puyol!!

5. Spanish

Feck me, even I'm losing the will with Yorkie now, sometimes you have to admit you may be wrong and if you think Wolfie is a better defender than Burgess because he passes better, then i say you have no idea with regards to football!!

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

If you keep conceding possession needlessly when you are not under pressure the opposition will have more of the ball and create more chances. Defending is more than tackling and heading the ball. Schoolboy stuff.

Nuggets likes this.
  7. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think our strongest eleven, on paper, looks something like this:

GK: Hladky
    LB: Coulson
    CB: Edmondson
    CB: Burgess
    RB: Vincent-Young
    CM: Harper
    CM: Evans
    AM: Fraser
    LW: Edwards
    RW: Chaplin
    ST: Pigott

Although the first few games are a small sample size, I am really concerned with our defence. Of all the areas on the pitch, it is paramount that Cook and the coaching staff gets the defence organised and comfortable with one another. We're conceding far too many goals and look way too vulnerable over the course of 90 minutes. Hladky has been fairly poor, but our full-backs in particular have struggled to adapt to being a) effective attacking outlets in a 4-2-3-1 and b) cannot seem to get back fast enough to defend properly. I'm hoping KVY hasn't lost a yard of pace after his prolonged injuries, otherwise he won't be the same player that promised so much a year ago. Aside from Penney's goal last night, I don't think he's quite what require either.

itfcptc likes this.
  8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

That side does not fill me with confidence. I am interested to see what happens when Carroll comes in. I think he could be a key man breaking up play and getting it off the CBs to open up play.

Spanish likes this.
  9. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

I know it’s frustrating but I think we have to give the manager and players time to get in the groove……I hope it won’t take long.

Buckyohare, San Diego and Spanish like this.
  10. Spanish

All i have heard is everyone say they thought Burgess looked really good, the only one that doesn't rate him is you!<laugh><laugh>

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Probably the same people who were raving about our world beating side all summer.

You can’t really judge anyone on one game but he needs to cut out the hoofing / improve his passing because it put us under needless pressure.

12. Spanish

Yep, coz there were loads saying we had a world beating side<laugh><laugh><doh><doh>

13. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

Of course people got excited after the Fall of Evans and the American takeover and then 16 new signings and I’m sure you know football fans love a new signing, after so long having just **** after **** after **** I for one am pleased we have had an exciting summer and been able to be optimistic, maybe now we are having to be a little more realistic but I still believe that things will be okay I think we have made good signings ( for this league) and the manager is trying to get us playing good football.

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I’m not sure whether PC can do it for us. I’m hopeful that the Americans will in the long run. But we’re only in this position because of Evans starving the club of investment for so long. Whatever works or doesn’t work it’s good that we’ve got the proper resources in place again but for me we’re starting almost at the bottom of a very long ladder. I know that the owners expected us to move upwards quickly and I just hope they have put the work in to plan for these scenarios and that they can continue to invest. I don’t take that for granted by any means - we’ve seen plenty of clubs end up in a mess.

Redruth likes this.
  15. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Disagree.

You'll find more and more defenders these days are ball playing centre backs which fits the modern style of playing out from defence. Everybody on the pitch needs to be able to play football these days, some managers even demand it from the goalkeeper.

Nuggets likes this.
  16. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

True. And it’s vital in a high press system that your defenders can do that. Ive not seen any evidence our cb’s can. Only edmundson left to try…

Nuggets and Saf like this.
  17. Spanish

Well i disagree with you, i would rather my defender was good at stopping my team from conceding goals, rather than being able to play a good pass.
    So like Yorkie, you are saying you would rather Wolfenden who is not a good defender (concedes goals) but can pass, than Burgess who is solid at the back but tends to find row Z

18. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

No mate, I'm not getting into that. I don't know your players well enough to pass comment on them, I was talking in general.

I don't know why you can't have a player who is good at his defensive duties but is also comfortable on the ball? I'm not a fan of defenders finding row Z or giving it a hoof up the field. All that does is return the ball to the opposition and invites pressure straight back on your team.

Nuggets, Buckyohare and San Diego like this.
  19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

You’ve said Woolfy isn’t a good defender, not me. I said I don’t know if he’s the best defender. I don’t know the new lads well enough. He’s got work to do but he’s very composed and comfortable on the ball so I reckon he has less work to do to improve defensively than Burgess has to get into better habits. Maybe it was an instruction or maybe he didn’t feel he had enough options on, that’s where I think Carroll will be an important player for us and give us something that Harper and Evans don’t.

Under pressure, clear your lines. If there’s a good option ping it long and have a go by all means. But over and over again under no pressure is a waste of our midfield talent and probably cost us a few attacking opportunities as well as inviting on the opposition.

Bizarre viewpoint for an Ipswich fan to say defenders don’t need to be footballers too, when all our successes have depended on the likes of Beattie being exceptional on the ball.

20. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I think there’s a danger we’re forgetting where we we are when we talk about the quality of defenders we expect to play for Town!We really can’t expect a Maguire (or even Mings!) Like Spanish I’d be happy to play with a pair of solid,no nonsense stoppers and have the creative stuff come from the midfield or fullbacks.

Spanish likes this.