1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Brexit

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Back when I was at school I voted for Liam Johnson to be class rep - he told us that he would stop homework. He lied! That was the basis of my vote solely. Lets go back and vote in Jenny (can't remember her surname).

2. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Questions loaded towards remain. Why not be asking berween Mays deal and remain or Mays deal and no deal as after all we did vote to leave not remain. Not that I think we should have a second vote as no evidence to say majority of people want one.

RobEllious and mickeybnufc like this.
  3. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

No, they’d just want another vote.

:)

4. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Exactly and it's annoying hearing them talking bollocks about the people because all they're worried about is staying in power or gaining popularity votes! They don't care about the people.

Flash likes this.
  5. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Yeah but I voted remain <laugh>.

I don’t agree with any violence or verbal abuse. Or abuse of any kind. Unfortunately the people aren’t as stupid as the MPs like to think and have worked out they’ve ****ed this up on purpose or at the very least through incompetence. They also know protests do nothing. What you have is a frustrated population exasperated by an emotive subject. Abuse or violence is still never justified, I just don’t think some people can sit and say they haven’t played a part in fostering those feelings on such an emotive subject. I’m not going all Bonucci here, is 100% abuse of any form should not happen. However we’ve seen all over the world throughout time people riot and act irrationally when they feel the establishment is ****ing them over.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  6. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

Trouble is they haven’t been talking about what the people want, they’ve been talking about what the House wants. Big difference.

7. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

8. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

That's exactly my point lol

Delusional Full Stop likes this.
  9. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

The questions aren't loaded.

Let's say 10 of you are you are in a bar. The music's a bit loud. The drinks are a bit pricey. Someone says "Let's go somewhere else". 4 say they like it where they are but 6 want to leave. When you get near the door, it turns out 3 of the people who wanted to leave want to go to a lap dancing bar. 3 want to go to a pub with no music, a log fire and reasonably priced beer. The questions you'd ask would be:

- who would rather go to the lap dancing club and who would rather stay here ?
    - who would rather go the quiet pub and who would rather stay here ?

It's the same idea. Unless there is actually some other place that most people would rather go, then most people would rather stay.

10. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

I've applied to be in the Question Time Audience in Warrington on 2nd May. They'd better pray Rees-Mogg isn't on the panel <grr>

KazakhToon and Warmir Pouchov like this.

11. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Also by the time you reached the door, one of those who wanted to leave has died and two teenagers - who haven't even had a drink yet - have joined the group.

Flash likes this.
  12. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Fair points but I was keeping it simple

13. Warmir Pouchov

Irrelevant

14. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Irrelevant to what ?

If the point of the process is to do what the majority of the electorate want, then it is relevant that the electorate, and what it wants, has changed.

If the point of the process is something else, then god knows what the whole shambles has been in aid of.

15. Warmir Pouchov

I've been over this earlier in the thread. Any vote is a snapshot in time. The population is ever changing in age. However the age of the population that counts is the one when a vote took place - I see this as another form of purgatory to complain about this as relevant. Being honest I'm starting to become increasingly exasperated with the sections of remain vote for this reason. It all seems a bit chirlish and desperate. If there is another vote, then the age of the population then will be what counts. So I see no relevance whatsoever to the debate on what happens with Brexit as we stand now with the fact you have an ever changing eligible electorate. We had a vote and that snapshot in time is what counts until, if ever, another vote is called. End of story for me.

Jonjo has made it clear he thinks the old people vote is pretty pointless, which is his opinion and he's entitled to it. Personally speaking, and in the eyes of the system in this country, age is irrelevant provided you are of an age when you have the right to vote. This silly notion being presented by remainers who want another vote that the young vote carries more weight than the elder vote, is exactly that, silly. It simply does not matter that "the young people are the ones who have to deal with this decision". Who gives a flying **** to be blunt? We all have to deal with this in the here and now. This impacts old people too and it doesn't matter if it impacts someone for 5 days, 5 years or 50 years. When we have a general election and vote, the outcome will impact people of all ages afterwards. It will certainly affect some people for longer than others, every single vote does. People need to think about what they are suggesting with that kind of thing and the impact if you were to carry such thoughts forward into policy.

Apart from anything else I see it as another disrespectful slight by remoaners to keep on at this angle. Each age group of the electorate brings something different to the table at every vote. Generalising, you would imagine a younger vote bring a more in tune thought process with the modern world. The elder generation bring a lot more knowledge and life experience to the table. Age groups, backgrounds, differing types of intelligence, etc etc. The beauty of an electorate is that you get the opinions of a lot of very different people. Long may that continue in my eyes.

16. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Ah, see this is where it all collapses.

A vote, such as a general election is a snapshot in time - and the result of that is INSTANTANEOUS. The winning Labour party instantly kickstarts the process of putting Corbyn on the throne. Brexit by clear and obvious contrast is NOT an instant action and instead will have taken at least three years once all the fcukwittery is dealt with.

We cannot go back in time, but we can reset things today and say "right, here's the deal, here's no deal, here's remain - pick one, the result happens tomorrow".

And as for the elderly, the only old people this result actually affects either way are ex-pats and I'd bet an awful lot of money which way they would have voted. Bear in mind the only thing the elderly benefit from is the NHS, when you've got the Clown Prince of Buffoonery with his foppish, racist charm harping on about saving £350m, what you gonna do? You're sure as **** not finding many octogenarians on YouGov forums sanity checking the facts. Most would think Reddit is a noise a frog makes.

17. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

18. Warmir Pouchov

It matters not when it kicks in mate. It matters when the vote takes place. Everyone knows the rules before you start where voting is concerned. You are melding two very separate issues for me, the vote and the actioning of it. I believe my fellow remainers do this to suit their own needs - not unlike the politicians who have ****ed this all up.

As for the elderly I will never ever agree with the notion the age of people of voting age matters. You could present a million different reasons why it would, and I could shoot it all straight down. Lets not forget you could make many comments about whether those who have only recently come into voting age actually have the knowledge and experience to post a vote with required purpose. It is exactly why we need balance where voting is concerned. The only way to iron out the shortfalls of each age group is to ensure all age groups opinion is considered. If we step away from that, democracy is then well and truly ****ed and manufactured.

As for the NHS do not get me started. The completely unnecessary and overboard austerity measures under this Tory government is what has well and truly ****ed our NHS amongst many other things in this country.

19. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

20. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Brexit? What fecking Brexit? The EU and most of our MPs are more than happy to extend the leave date until the back end of this year. How very convenient. I don't see us leaving at all, there will be more fudging and then a winner takes all, (ha!) second referendum before Oct 31.