1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Brexit

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Jan 25, 2019.

1. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

But I thought you handled the interview very well mate.

2. mickeybnufc

mickeybnufc Well-Known Member

I voted leave as did 17.4m others,so why not just leave,all the scare mongering about a no deal,is just that, scare mongering,no one knows what would happen if we just left,no one's done it before,the EU has a plan for a no deal Brexit and are quite happy with it.

Heed and Dorty Dogbreath like this.
  3. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

<laugh> remainers and remoaners aren't the same thing!? Not to me anyway :emoticon-0126-nerd:

In fairness, they are definite remoaners though.

Both undecided up until the last minute, have no real reason for choosing Remain, now call all who voted Leave idiots.

4. KazakhToon

KazakhToon Well-Known Member

Have you noticed that it takes two minutes to comment any old bull and a good ten to debunk it? That's why Farage always gets on Question Time, because he's always ready with a confident lie and all his opponents have is complicated truth.

5. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Listened earlier on today to the radio where there was a presenter, Brexit politician and woman who started petition to remain.

Quoting polls at each other. Politician stating polls for second referendum about 54% for second referendum but on other polls that number reduced to only 38% who were wanting second referendum to include option to remain.

Food for thought. I havent checked but he wasn’t pulled up on it by presenter who did seem to know his stuff. Also petition woman kept skirting over his point and asking what was wrong with principle of second referendum.

6. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I have visions of you in your wheelchair, with the tartan rug over your lap and ear trumpet plugged in as you listen to your bakelite radio whilst dribbling your coffee down your cardigan.

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.
  7. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

What's wrong with that?

8. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Don’t drag me into your sexual fantasies...

:emoticon-0119-puke:

9. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

I know. Coffee is disgusting. But it’s all that gets put in the emergency ration drop which the Air Force make each week to the poor people in the Mackem borough Chester Le Street.

10. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Really? What gives you that opinion?

Racism would be such a minor factor in both for me. More so leaving the EU. Racism wouldn't even feature in the top 100 reasons for me. If I had to say what I thought was the primary motive I'd definitely go for sovereignty/self governance. I'd say that was the case both before leaving the EU was ever considered, since we decided to have a vote and also since we had a vote.

Being honest over the last 20 years the phrase I've heard most on this subject, or at least variations of it, is "decisions about and for the UK, should be taken by UK people in the UK".

11. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Yes, and decisions for Newcastle should be taken by the people in Newcastle. Decisions for people in my street should be taken by the people in my street. Decisions about my house should be taken by my wife and I. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be part of something larger than my house, my street, Newcastle or the UK.

For what it's worth (and we are all offering our only half informed opinions) I think the largest factor was an urge to say "**** you" to everyone in charge of everything that is ****ing my life up, whoever that might be.

12. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

I think you might find otherwise but we will have to wait to say I told you so either way

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  13. Warmir Pouchov

The problem is you can't be part of that something larger unless you are willing to give up large parts of our sovereignty and governance. That is a given and to be fair the EU have never hidden from this. We also knew this when we applied to join.

Again I think you are being a bit disrespectful to leave voters suggesting that they voted because the way they did as a **** you. Whether its this or racism, remainers don't seem to accept that leavers had genuine reasons based on genuine issues for voting as they did. We may not agree with their reasoning, but we should at least respect their opinion. They are in the majority afterall.

Delusional Full Stop and Flash like this.
  14. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Some remoaners are like mackems. They are more than happy to delude themselves. It makes me laugh how the average remoaner talks as though they have spoken to all 17.4m who voted to leave and know what’s on their mind.

All the folk I know voted due to the issue of sovereignty and that bus had **** all to do with their choice.

One out of 8 or 9 doesn’t like Romanians so he voted to shut the door on them.

Heed and Dorty Dogbreath like this.
  15. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

I am being entirely respectful. A protest vote is a well recognised democratic event.

To suggest that the majority of leave voters had a well thought out constitutional basis for their vote is to suppose that they are the best informed and educated electoral group in history. Again without being disrespectful, we know that as a group they were less than averagely well educated. I think you are ascribing an unrealistic degree of sophistication to their position.

16. Warmir Pouchov

<laugh> Now you are letting your bitterness truly get the better of you

Albert's Chip Shop and Heed like this.
  17. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

What ?

I made a couple of comments I thought were undeniable:

- a small part of any electorate has a well reasoned basis for the way it votes

- leave supporters were, demographically, poorly educated.

Which of those do you take issue with ?

KazakhToon likes this.
  18. Warmir Pouchov

Perhaps I am not correctly understanding what you were inferring. Although if you are not inferring that you think the leave vote is down to less intelligent voters not knowing what they are voting for, then I'm not really sure why it is mentioned. You don't need to have gone to University to vote thankfully, because then this country would be truly ****ed. As you well know intelligence and being well educated are two very different things, and not going into higher education does not impact on your ability to make reasoned decisions.

If I have misread, what is the point you are trying to make? What is the impact of those two assertions?

19. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

20. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to imply anything. I was trying to say what I meant. I will give it another go.

I said that I thought that very large part of the Leave vote was an emotional response against what is generally referred to in Brexit discussions as the elite

You regarded that as disrespectful and said that the main factor was a concern about the loss of sovereignty which is inherent in belonging to a supranational organisation.

I said that it would be an unusually well educated and sophisticated electorate who had a reasoned constitutional basis for their vote. I noted that the Leave voters were demographically less than averagely well educated. I therefore suggested that you were ascribing more sophisticated reasoning to the Leave voters than was probably the case.

I purposely avoided any comment on intelligence. There is some correlation between education and intelligence but, as you note, there are smart, poorly educated people and some well educated people who are thick in a number of ways. Intelligence itself has a number of aspects. My main point was that in analysing the motivations of a group of voters (and this would include the somewhat demographically better educated Remain voters and just about any other electorate that you are likely to encounter), it is misleading to take the polished positions that the spokespeople put forward as being very representative of the motivations of the voters. Therefore, I think "**** the 'experts' and the twats they work for" is more likely to have been behind a leave vote that an analysis of the cost/benefits of belonging to a supranational organisation. In the same way, I expect "things are fine, change is scary" was a larger motivating factor in the average remain voter than having performed the same cost benefit analysis but come to a different conclusion.

Put differently, I have run into many people who will argue about Brexit with a lot of emotion and almost no logic. I have run into next to no one that can argue about it with just logic and without emotion. It is fundamentally an emotional subject and peoples positions with respect to it are primarily emotionally driven. My primary emotional response one is rage/hurt at being cut off from a host of places I'd like to call home. I also try to be logical about the process but the degree to which logic steers my position I frankly don't know.

KazakhToon likes this.