1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Boxing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 17, 2015.

1. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Peak Haye might at a push have caused some trouble, but the truth is that he was terrified of a proper heavy with real power and a good jab (Klitschko) and he bottled it that night in Germany. He would have had a punchers chance with AJ but equally AJ is more aggressive than Klitschko and Hayes chin was very suspect! Would have been entertaining whilst it lasted for sure.

2. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Haye was much better than Joshua in my opinion. That's not a hindsight view because Joshua was beaten up, I've said for a long time the current heavyweight division is very poor. Haye didn't show up against Klitschko and that's a big mark against him as a heavyweight but he was quicker, more skilled, a bigger puncher and had a better chin than it appears Joshua has.

3. TopClass

On a separate note, BT sport is getting some praise recently as the fact they put full fights online very quickly after a PPV has forced Sky’s hand and they now do the same.

Whilst Sky and Matchroom get panned as money grabbers, can someone tell me how the **** Tyson Fury versus some bloke from Germany is worth £20 on BT.

Classic Frank Warren and to top it all off, I’m hearing Fury might have a shot at a soon to be vacant WBO heavyweight belt - the classic Warren route and he will then have some meaningless defences.

I’ve seen all of this before. What a joke.

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  4. TopClass

One of the few times il have to disagree with you here Smokey! But that’s why it’s great to chat about it and see things different ways! <cheers>

I think Joshua is a little quicker than he gets credit for, offensively at least. I think his lack of head and feet movement often gets confused with him being slow, which he isn’t. (Il never forget Charles Martins face of pure surprise when getting put on his arse, and lest we forget, who was the last fighter to tag Klitschko that many times- a notoriously slick defensive heavyweight), so he is quick. Think about how Joseph Parker struggled to beat him to the punch.

He looked horrific against Ruiz and it certainly exposed and magnified his weaknesses, but I do think there’s a lot more under the bonnet that he can showcase to rectify that night in New York.

I expect a similar performance to the one he delivered against Parker next time he fights Ruiz. But I do think he will have to weather a storm at some point in the fight, and that’s his mental and acid test.

5. smokethedeadbadger

The two examples you have given there aren't great to highlight his speed. Joseph Parker and Charles Martin, slow, average, no pressure fighters. But i have to say it is one of the things I love most about boxing, is how subjective it is. It causes so much debate because of how different people view it or what they look for or like. It's great.

6. Dancingbraveforever

Dancingbraveforever Well-Known Member

The super fight of all super fights.

The boxing fans of this generation have the Mayweather/Pacquiao shambles to hark back on years to come.

Cyc, you are indeed a very lucky man to be born at a time to witness the greatest heavyweight era.

Cyclonic likes this.
  7. TopClass

Absolutely Smokey- and I always enjoy reading your thoughts (as indeed the majority on the boxing 606 forum).

My favourite part of fight nights is when you’re with your mates and you all talk in the build up about what you think is happening and then during the fight how you’re scoring it. Fascinating stuff.

Cyclonic and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Does anyone remember Billy Walker? I used to watch amateur boxing on the TV when I was young and he came up against this giant black boxer. I remember thinking that's not fair and he promptly knocked the giant out cold with a single punch

9. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Here you go Ron, Billy's beating of the American Cornelius Perry begins at 1:52.

10. Cyclonic

Two wonderful fights about to kick off. The Semi Finals of the World Boxing Super Series of the Cruiserweights. In the first, Yunier Dorticos v Andrew Tabiti for the IBF belt, followed by the Mairis Briedis v Krzysztof for the WBO Title.

11. Cyclonic

Holy ****!

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I see what you mean Cyc <yikes>

Cyclonic likes this.
  13. Cyclonic

The Briedis v Glowacki fight created one hell of a stink. Many are calling for the fight result to be overturned due to Briedis' elbow of Glowacki in the second which was followed by a pounding well after the bell rang. To be fair though, it was payback for a punch to the back of his head. Maybe Briedis could have been disqualified for using the elbow, but as the ref only took a point, Glowacki had to fight on. I don't know whether the elbow "rocked" Glowacki or not, but he was dropped well after the round should have finished. He was not given the chance to go to his corner because the ref ****ed things when he missed the bell. Glowacki was again dropped when he should have been seated on his stool. He was a sitting duck in the third.

Really ****ty refereeing.

14. smokethedeadbadger

Looked a nothing of a fight when it was made and even more so now. A hand picked opponent to make Tyson look good on his Vegas debut. Top Rank will cherry pick another bum for his next fight and try sell it as dangerous again then onto a Wilder rematch.

15. Cyclonic

To be fair Smoke, I think top flight heavyweights are pretty thin on the ground. I'm not sure White can beat Wilder or Fury, and I think would go down to Joshua if his last fight was just a glitch. I don't think Ruiz can beat either Wilder or Fury. Again, if Joshua is ok, I'd back him to beat Ruiz in a return match, which would bring us back to the big three again. I think the likes of Ortiz, White, Povetkin, Miller, Pulev, Parker, and Kownacki are a step below, Wilder and Fury. The big question centres around Joshua. Is he the real deal? I don't believe Ruiz is, so if AJ gets rolled again, then for me there are only two genuine heavies out there.

P.S. I don't know where Usyk fits in.

16. smokethedeadbadger

I'm looking forward to Usyk at heavyweight. He certainly has the class and ability to succeed but does he have the size. He's certainly around at the right time if he's to be successful in the division at least

Cyclonic likes this.
  17. Dancingbraveforever

I don't agree with you mate. Yes he was handpicked to a certain extent. But who else could he have fought that wasn't wrapped up boxing's political BS?

I though Fury boxed very well and showed decent power when required. His head movement on the ropes was sublime.

All in all, a better more professional job than I've seen from Tyson in a good while.

Ron and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  18. smokethedeadbadger

Been working today so only just caught up with this. Shocking refereeing he looked completely clueless. Elbow was bad and very unprofessional but it did look like Glowacki made a bit of a meal of it. Still I reckon that should have been a disqualification against Briedis you just can't do that.

Cyclonic likes this.
  19. Dancingbraveforever

Probably the most underrated Heavyweight in my lifetime. Strangely never really gets mentioned when we talk about the best.

Would have loved to have seen him against Lennox...a match for the ages.

Cyclonic likes this.
  20. smokethedeadbadger

Lewis Vs Bowe, probably one of the biggest missed opportunities in the sport

Cyclonic and Dancingbraveforever like this.