1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Bike waynekerrs

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Commachio, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah that's the point I'm making. I'm not against the general idea of making cycle routes available just that halfing the capacity of that particular road is moronic. It's literally the first road you're on as you come off the M3 into Soton, smacks of decision makers wanting to be seen to be doing the 'right' thing without actually thinking it through.

A park and ride for the city centre would probably be a good idea too but that's a different debate.

PINKIE likes this.
  2. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

So anyone managed to get one of these vouchers yet?

Ive got a bike, mainly sits in the garden, but there's **** all wrong with it, still if I can get some free tyres I suppose I might as well.

Wheres the link?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yeah park & ride is the future for city centres imo. Congestion charging is coming to most towns and cities over the next decade I reckon as the Govt try and meet their carbon reduction and air quality pledges. We've got a couple down here and they work really well. Cities can actually get really creative with these too. So they don't need to be a boring bus ride into town in all cases.

Those that are on rivers can use park and float (they do that in Falmouth and St Ives) or park and train (st Ives again) so some of them can add to the 'visitor experience' as town centres need to start adapting to trying to attract more 'experience' based consumers to town centres, given that most are on their knees in terms of high St shopping (high car parking charges, out of town retail parks, big stores closing etc)

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-26-2016/NNxLer.gif

Sucky likes this.
  5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Not if people get out of their cars and on their bikes. Which is what they want you to do.

PINKIE likes this.
  6. Archers Road

If you mean The Avenue, I used to cycle that regularly in the 70s. You were literally taking your life in your hands every time you rode along it. Well overdue for cycle lanes imo, and there isn't really room for two cars in each direction anyway, on most of it.

PINKIE likes this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

That's cos every **** was drink driving in those days :bandit:

I disagree anyway, there was plenty of room for two cars each way, and like I say a large chunk using it at peak times will be using the M3 anyway so switching to bike isn't really an option.

Be interesting to see how bad it is come the first full match at St Marys. Wouldn't fancy that myself.

8. Archers Road

It was cos all the articulated lorries used to come straight off the docks and up The Avenue, whereas now I think they pick up the M27 around Totton?

Cities don't want people using cars anymore mate, it's the future. I've just learned my car will be liable for a £12 a day charge from next October 2021, when London's Ultra Low Emission Zone extends all the way out. London does have enough public transport to take up the slack though currently, not sure about Soton.

PINKIE and Libby like this.
  9. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah can't say I'd have fancied it on a bike with the artic's flying past tbh.

It doesn't affect me much anyway as since moving most of my needs are walking distance, and I'm not against it as a whole as I mentioned earlier. Just think that this particular one is gonna cause more harm than good when it comes to the climate.

And yeah, public transport is pretty ****e down here really. Depends where you are though.

10. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

There's some good cycling in Portsmouth. You can ride the entire eastern road, from just by Fratton park, all the way to Havant up via Bedhampton. All of it without going on the road once.

PINKIE and Edelman like this.

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Anyone who can't fit their own bike chain should not be allowed to own a bike.

FFS, it's a bike fix the ****er. I have been doing it since about 8 years old.

lfcpower, Gessa and Treble like this.
  12. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

13. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Folding bikes?

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

<laugh>

15. Archers Road

They look a bit ****y though don’t they? Convenient though, and if the gears are set up right it’s probably possible to faster than 5mph.

Loads of people in London - grown men and women that is - buzzing about on those little electric scooter things. They’re a ****ing embarrassment imo, but what do I know?

16. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Each to his/her own mate !

17. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

No, @Archers Road is correct...

18. Archers Road

19. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

In your opinion !
    I'm a bit more relaxed about it :emoticon-0147-emo:

Diego likes this.
  20. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cycling is taking off here - mostly as a hobby/sport but more and more people taking their lives in their hands and cycling in to the office. Main road into city centre is shut every Sunday for 6hrs for bikes, runners and walkers only.

Folding bikes are considered the new status symbol here and the rich want Bromptons. Mrs brought one in with her last time and even after paying import duty at airport made nearly 500 quid on it. Next time she is planning on bringing two.

Garuda - the national airline decided to do it on a much bigger scale by filling the luggage hold of a newly purchased Airbus from France with them and motorbike parts.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news...ired-after-smuggled-bikes-found-on-plane.html