1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2017 Driver Lineup

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Sportista, May 2, 2016.

1. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Finally Mercedes drivers that don't want to murder each other. Refreshing.

2. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

Well both actually, since you have Alonso and Wehlein there, but as the conversation was around Rosberg to Ferrari rumours, I assumed that was how you were assuming his seat got freed up.

Given the big wedge that Hamilton is on (stupid Mercedes), I don't see many options who could afford to tempt him to leave?

3. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

4. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

There's only one thing that would persuade Lewis in my opinion and that's a fast McLaren Honda.

His love of Senna and that era, coupled with finishing where he started, would be too much to turn down in my opinion.

We're a couple of years away from that presenting itself because a) the car still isn't fast but b) Alonso has to see out his project there, assuming he stays the duration.

I'd hate Hamilton to turn up when Alonso and Button have developed a car and left though, that would be sickening for them.

Ricciardos the world champ in waiting though IMO- he just needs a car under him.

Smithers likes this.
  5. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

6. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

I think people have overlooked the fact that both Vettel and Hamilton look like Senna when they drive vastly superior cars. However Hamilton crumbles when someone sticks it up 'im and Vettel just can't win in an inferior car.
    For me, Ricciardo has looked as good as any driver in a less than great car, though Horner is doing a "Weber" and already favouring Verstappen. Verstappen is the real deal and with Red Bulls' help will be the man to beat by seasons end. Ricciardo to McLaren for mine, Red Bull will murder him if he stays.

7. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I'm interested in how people think RBR screwed Ricciardo, he was in front during the first stint, but towards thh end was being hauled in by everyone, so he had a pit stop which was 2 laps earlier than Verstappen, at the end of the race Max was ebing caught by a second a lap, do people really think Ricciardo, who seems harder on his tyres tan Max, would've been able to do 2 more laps than Max did in his final stint?

8. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Was he being hauled in though? I don't think he was at all. He and Vettel had track position and he was holding Vet comfortably.

They gave Max V the mediums, switching his strategy, and then 2 laps later they decided to put Ricciardo in again and do the same, meaning he did an extra stop yet ended up on effectively the same strategy as Max (2 lap difference), and of course as a result of the extra stop, behind him and on the same tyres.

The whole thing sickened me to be honest, no matter how well Max drove (and it was an impressive, mature debut), Ricciardo had got everything seen up if they stuck to the strategies and made the necessary gap on the softs before the final stint.

I thought the whole thing was very organised to the point where I felt it was scripted.

Cynical I know but I have no other logic for the decisions of the strategists that day.

9. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

10. EternalMSC

Both deserve to stay, if anything Massa has performed better...

11. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I don't think either should stay. Massa lost his edge a long while ago and if bottas can only match him then...

I would like to see some fresh faces in the team that will give it a challenge

12. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

I agree. Williams looks like it has become stale again. No progress since 2014, drivers can't seem to hook up good weekends at the same time.

Williams are sliding backwards again as others have started to get a grip on the turbo-era regs.

13. EternalMSC

Interesting, what if the new drivers themselves brought nothing but inexperience and they ended up falling further into the midfield?

14. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Sometimes you have to take a gamble. What they have at the moment isn't taking them forward so something needs to change.

To be fair, it isn't just the drivers, it is clear the car is not developing as much as the others, it looks the same basic design as they had in 2014 and whilst they have developed it to try and give it more downforce, they have taken away its straight line speed advantage and it now seems to chew its tyres worse than before.

Williams seem stuck in a rut at the moment. Not good enough to challenge at the front, too good to be down in the midfield. Problem is the mid field are catching up with them, they should be striving to be behind the factory Merc's incase another Spain happens. As it was, they were nowhere to pick up the pieces.

15. EternalMSC

Yeah, Austria 2014 seemed like their peak.

16. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I may be wrong, but I think they have been affected more by the different fuel/oil that the Mercs are now using - it just seems to have made another step in the customer performance gap. Having said that I still rate the Merc as the best chassis and with two top quality drivers.

17. EternalMSC

I don't think it would be a surprise to know Vandoorne is replacing Button next season.

18. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It would be a big shock if he didn't. Stoffel is new chosen one after all. Alonso seems to be staying as well bizarrely, i guess he's just got no other option. Why they don't have a deal with a small team for their young drivers (and their engines) is beyond me, but they seem dead set against the idea. Vandoorne should have been in F1 somewhere this year.

The only question is whether Jenson will join Williams or retire. Probably of little consequence, as they (much like McLaren) are going absolutely nowhere. I doubt he wants any more years of mediocre to awful cars, probably better to step back and enjoy WEC.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    EternalMSC likes this.
  19. Chelsea Pensioner

20. Chelsea Pensioner

I have the same feeling. Weber was perhaps not at Vettels level of talent, but his grit often made him at least as good a bet. However Red Bull consistently favoured Vettel with new bits, better strategies etc. I think the same decision has already been made regarding Verstappen. Ricciardo for mine is at least as good as anyone else behind any wheel, and better than maybe all except Hamilton in pure talent. But unlike Hamilton, Ricciardo has a ticker that doesn't slow down when things don't go his way or he doesn't get the rock star treatment he seems to think he's entitled to. Hamilton for me is a big girls blouse and a show pony, more interested in the fame than the work, and not deserving of his talent. And what was all that bollocks with Justin Beiber ? One of Lewis' 'friends" ? He was more interested in whispering in Justins' ear than going to get his trophy. Lot's of class, all of it lower.

El_Bando likes this.