1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

World cup matches

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Jun 12, 2014.

1. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

watching Brazil v Croatia...Brazil's diving is shocking and how was that ever a penalty????

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Because, thanks to that "beautiful game" myth, a Brazilian player has to be a Rivaldo-class bell end before somebody will rightly call them out for being the diver that they are.

3. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

It's a spirited contest for the biggest disgrace on the pitch. I would have picked Hulk early, then the referee seemed to have it locked up, and now Julio Cesar is making a late charge.

Oscar, ruining my 2-1 prediction...<grr>

4. pabird

pabird Active Member

Is it my age groups (over 70s) that hate the scream and dive to the floor at every opportunity
    Brazil pen a scandal
    Boring expression from us old boys but when will we ever see a return to the real man's game

5. NotSoMightyEastbourneBoro

I think the Ref has staked his final claim with that goal. Foul by Brazil to win the ball and then go and score. The media will now orgasm over this superlative Brazillian performance and wax lyrical about the Samba boys being heir to the Football throne. Garbage.

6. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

What's wrong with my thread which says this??????
    Plagiarist git

7. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Pity Mandzukic was suspended, he would have buried one of them chances. Nice to see Brazil revert to playing like the old Stoke, long balls and dirty play. Pulis will be shaking his head but also thinking "maybe my old style was beautiful after all"!

8. NotSoMightyEastbourneBoro

On the plus side the Brazilian Police (those paragons of virtue who were horrified that the British Police had gunned down an innocent Brazilian national..... that's their job!) have tried to shoot Adrian Chiles.

9. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Refs and diving will ruin this World Cup.

Why is a ref from Japan given a match that big? Awful.

10. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Everyone seems to be assuming that it's a fix based on one bad decision from a referee. If Brazil win it, I'm sure they'll earn it, teams that win seldom dominate from the start to finish of the tournament. How many times have we seen sides start with a big result or two and then flop? Lets not forget Spain lost their first game last time around so it's not all about being at your best from the start.

11. No Kane No Gain

Merged, especially for you. I hope you're happy :p

12. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Not saying it's a fix but you can't deny that the ref was extremely biased towards Brazil, remember in 2002 when South Korea got to the semi's because of questionable decisions.

Any team that wins the WC will need luck but if too many games are like that then the tournament will be tarnished.

13. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I thought the ref made a couple of incorrect throw in decisions Croatia's way. Witless and clueless. But I've never seen anyone stand up quite so straight.

14. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

Pity for Croatia that they seem to have no good goalkeepers in the entire country - sort of at fault for every single one of their goals. Did Pletikosa really not play a single game for us? Wikipedia says not. I'd invented a memory of him playing in that terrible performance in the CC a few years ago under Harry. Where, for once, he played a load of fringe players. GDS and the like.

And the penalty was ridiculous. And it didn't look like a foul on Cesar to me either when Croatia "scored" their second. Only goalkeepers get awarded a foul when they go up for a ball and are beaten in the air.

Mentioned on another thread how much I liked the look of Ratikic.

And Paulinho looked like the Spurs player we've come to love - had a couple of moments when I'd forgotten he was playing.

15. steveharris

steveharris Member

Good start for Brazil...

16. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

All this crap about a soft penalty,the guy grabbed fred by the shoulder to stop him getting the ball,the laws of the game is a penalty,no arguments!,he shouldn't have to go down to get it,i hope the refs give them decisions this world cup.it might stop the manhandling that goes on in the penalty area

17. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11073908

1) You are allowed to touch in football. You are even allowed to touch someone's shoulder with your hand. You are not allowed to pull them. Fred was not pulled, he was touched. This is why it was not a penalty.

2) Someone touching your shoulder with their hand does not lead you to fall into a heap on the floor. It's pathetic, it's absurd and it's embarrassing. The sooner this sort of behaviour is taken out of the game the better the game will be and the easier officiating will be.

3) If I was playing a game and touched (not pulled) someone's shoulder, which just happens in games, and they went down like that I would be totally bemused and pretty pissed off with them. I am sure that anyone on here (assuming none of us are professional footballers) would. It would be surreal and you would instantly think that someone who did that was a class A dick - no doubt.

18. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

to take away the doubt,don't lay your hands on another player,i watched the 1966 world cup final on thursday,there was no pulling or touching when the ball was in the box and no rolling around like they had been shot when fouled,ane thats how it should still be,and show me the rule that says you are allowed to touch the opposing player,it's a foul!

19. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Of course it was not a penalty, but Brazil are always going to get the soft decisions. You don't need many of them to win the world cup! What about Naymar's arm in the face - could have been a red, what about the "foul" on the Brazil keeper before the ball went in the net - could have been ignored. In each case there was a small possibility of the decision going one way, but when the same side gets the benefit all the time then you have to ask questions. Also, another question you have to ask yourself is that if Croatia and Brazil's players were reversed in each case, would Croatia have got the same beneficial result?

And agree with the sentiment on here that this diving (and other play acting) ruins the game, but the authorities are showing absolutely no enthusiasm to stop it.

20. No Kane No Gain

Oh I agree it was a bad call and likely wouldn't have been given were it down the other end of the pitch. I guess I'm just getting a bit numbed to the bigger sides or home sides getting the decisions these days. There are crap decisions given in the PL every week.