1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Will we make top 6?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Since KMc arrived we’ve closed a considerable gap on the playoffs,with a similar number of games to go would you bet against us scraping into 6th spot?Not sure I would.

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

The teams are always competitive and jostling for the places. That is the same every year.

With the exception of Rotherham running away with it the table looks remarkably similar to this point last season when the mark was 74. Extraordinary things can happen but nothing to suggest yet that statistically we should expect that target to move by much.

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Burns, 27, said: “When the boss came in, we were saying that if we could average two points per game through to the end of the season it should take us very close or even into the play-offs.

“We did a recap yesterday and we’ve taken 24 points from his first 12 games as manager, so we’re still very much on track to do that. We have 11 games left and if we do get an average of two points per game that will be 22 points.

“That will give us a total of 75 points and I think there has only been one occasion in the last 20 years when that has not been enough to get a team into the top six. So that’s our aim now, to maintain the two points a game average over our final 11 games.”

4. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

There's always an exception to the norm, and I get you when you say there's no evidence.l, but I believe there are too many teams above us who are winning on a regular basis (MK, Oxford, Wednesday, even pompey are picking up, and dont discount Sunderland as well)

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

There is nothing unusual about that - teams near the top tend to win a fair amount of games and that’s why the number of points we need is a very tough ask.

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It’s not over mathematically. Five wins could still very well do it, but it’s ever so unlikely we’ll get to that.

It was lost six games into the season - 3 points from 18. As it turns out we have only made up four points in three months (and there’s every possibility we’ll fall back a bit).

McKenna cannot afford a poor start next season. The attendances, the atmosphere will not be sustained if it’s the ‘same old Ipswich’ albeit with prettier football. So there’s a lot riding on the summer and hitting the ground running.

As an inexperienced manager, how will he cope with the pressure now?

7. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

He has learnt much in his short time here. The real basis of a good team is already here ; MK and his coaches will be aware of the shortcomings.
    Everyone including MA and Gamechangers who will have watched every match, know that they must splash out on a couple of strikers. Apart from scoring goals, he has one of the best teams in L1, best supporters, best defence & best pitch.
    We have all enjoyed the journey afer the dismal start.
    Get a good pre-season under their belts and hit the ground running. Keeping Walton between the sticks is a major boost to all.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    Nuggets, Redruth and Bigalreigned like this.
  8. Bigalreigned

I agree,I think he’ll grow into the job.I get the impression he relishes the challenge and is really up for it.
    Even in the short time he’s been here I’ve noticed a change (and improvement) in the way he comes across at press conferences.At first he was a bit monotone and fact-centric,he’s definitely more passionate and “involved” now.Which is totally understandable given his previous role was much less media-facing.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  9. Southcoastoldgaffer

Agree 100% BigAl.He has handled the press very well and says it exactly as it is. He has earned and commanded the respect of all the players. No mean feat for one so young.

Redruth likes this.
  10. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

The team in 6th is already on 72 points…

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

No **** - it could be an extraordinary year.

Oxford have definitely tailed off and but it’s not impossible Wycombe or Sunderland will get to 80. The last time that happened was 2010.

We should still keep trying to get those points on the board though and there’s no guarantee of those sides winning three of the remaining games. Whilst Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth have soared up the table Sunderland’s and Wycombe’s form had not matched theirs. They’ve bounced back though in recent weeks and that’s a bit of a surprise.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  12. Southcoastoldgaffer

Just voted for Morsy as Supporters club player of the year. Ends tonight. Partly in the hope he stays for another season!

Bigalreigned likes this.
  13. Bigalreigned

I went for Burns,but it was a difficult choice,the first time I’ve had a dilemma for many Seasons.

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Hard to argue with that. Walton has been equally immense under McKenna but Morsy has been from start to finish.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Too many off days and missed chances for me.

16. Bigalreigned

Perhaps,but I’m a sucker for a pacy player prepared to take people on,plus he’s weighed in with a fair share of goals.As I said it was a difficult choice.I could easily have plumped for either Morsy or Walton.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  17. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

How very dare you!!

Redruth likes this.
  18. Spanish

Well personally i would disagree with you 100%, at this rate 80 points ain't gonna be enough. It's absolutely an extraordinary season, hell 82 points may not be enough for top 6!!

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

To date Spanish, to date. At that point the table was strikingly similar to last season. So I’m not sure what you’re disagreeing with, exactly? Are you also disagreeing with McKenna telling his team that 75 was the mark when he came in and again back in late Feb / early March with all the data that was available to him then albeit not the future results and standings? Well done for being able to read a league table, extraordinary talent.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  20. Spanish

Just pointing out that you talk a load of ****! You talk down to people, you are never wrong and i know for a fact that people have left this site because of you, it's getting very tedious tbh.

Buckyohare likes this.