1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic UK / EU Future

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

That’s an idiotic suggestion. As if we unilaterally removed tariffs for EU goods, we’d be forced to do the same for the entire globe under WTO, as the most favoured nation rule dictates. It’d ruin our own producers.

2. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Deflection.
    Deflection.
    Deflection.

Toby likes this.
  3. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Precisely.

4. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Oh is our friend dumping on the French again...

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Toby likes this.
  5. Of course - apologies to all for the Bible reference but it's far easier to point out the splinter in someone else's eye rather than the log in your own. And far more convenient.

yorkshirehornet and Hornet-Fez like this.
  6. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

7. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

All week I have seen messages urging all those who don't like the Brexit deal to join the massive demonstration that was taking place in London today, and if you couldn't get to it there was another one in Liverpool. The turnout in London has been estimated at 3,000, and if you think that it is a lot, it would just about fill the Rookery, with the rest of the ground empty. The one in Liverpool attracted none at all and was cancelled. Maybe it was because of who was organising it, or some of the people lending it their support, but it certainly wasn't very popular. It finished up as a fund raising exercise with people there being asked to send UKIP £4 a month. Makes Tory party membership seem cheap.

8. superhorns

Tory Party membership is great value, why don't you all treat your loved ones to a special xmas present, yearly membership of the Conservative party. If you are lucky you can also help to choose the next Prime minister and do your bit for the country. :emoticon-0143-smirk

9. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I didn't think they allowed new members under 75.

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The warnings suggest that there will not be one much longer. Bit like buying a gift voucher at a store that is just about to be wound up.

11. superhorns

If that's one of your dodgy predictions then the Tories are bound to be in control for ages!!!

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Not mine at all SH. You haven't been keeping up over the past week. All from deep within the bowels of the Tory party, and I am not a member.

13. superhorns

Just a handful of whingy whiny remainers like Soubry and Grieve, they can join Vince in the obscure party. Maybe the new political party you predicted is Farage's new Brexit party.

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I didn't think you were keeping up. Some who have been talking about it are Brexiteers. Some are comparing it with the last implosion of the Tories, and they are political historians. Still you are happy enough to support them, or have you signed up with UKIP now?

15. superhorns

A bit distracted by the carnage in Paris, has Toy Boy Macron been replaced yet?

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Not another diversion surely. <yikes> Start your own thread on France if you wish and see if others will respond. Meanwhile you could try and talk about the subject that this thread was set up to do.

17. superhorns

It is relevant and imperative for fellow European nations political and financial performances to be studied and compared with our own. There are some that have been unable to accept the democratic will of the people and wish the Uk to remain intrinsically linked. The glaring problems in many European countries should be a constant warning, the extreme politics of of our immediate European neighbours should give the UK a quiet satisfaction that we have moderation by comparison, even in this strange time.

I can understand why you wish to gloss over the disturbing splits in French society having made the decision to relocate there. There does seem to be a complete breakdown in trust for the French government. When this happens a lurch to the far right ensues, macron must be dreading the European elections next year.

18. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

For all of its problems SH. the French economy has a GDP on a par with that of the UK. and, per head of population, is slightly ahead.

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I am afraid that if you look at the posts that SH makes about France, they do not try to make comparisons between what is happening here, and the breakdown in the political situation that exists now in the UK. Yes people are unhappy about some of the proposed changes that would bring the country nearer to the UK model, but this will be overcome, compared to the damage that is being proposed for decades by the Brexit supporters. I am sorry to say that SH demeans himself with this constant refusal to address what is being discussed. I have told him on a number of occasions to start his own thread if he wants to talk about France, but he never does.

20. superhorns

This is another attempt to hide the political and social turmoil affecting our close neighbour. As the French leaders will be influential on Brexit negotiations it is relevant to assess the strengths and current weakness of the present French president who OFH hailed as the new messiah when he luckily came to power. There are other mounting major problems the EU are now facing with increased belligerence from its members. The surge towards the far right on the continent is a symptom of the EU's immigration policies and attempts at centralisation. All is not well in Europe, Brexit has not come soon enough.
    I would be worried for the UK, if like France, fiscal policies were decided on the streets. Even with Brexit, Uk politics is far healthier than alternatives seen on the continent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.