1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by chelsea - over 100 years of history, May 30, 2013.

1. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I think Remy will probably go but I assumed Llorente was going to replace him. With Spurs hijacking that deal, perhaps we are a forward short?

Not sure when Rahman's fit or how he did on loan. But he cost a fair bit so maybe worth another look in a wing back role.

2. DferPolarBear

DferPolarBear Well-Known Member

Cancelling Remy's contract seems a decent gesture by Chelsea for the guy but it is balancing the books? Cech, Matic and now Remy seem to have been decently treated and I believe it could be down to Roman's personal touch in the dressing room. Will Boga get recalled from loan? I'm sure Remy was let go to make way for Llorente.

BobbyD likes this.
  3. chelsea - over 100 years of history

4. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

No offence guys, but looking at the business Chelsea have done this window, it's been a bit of a disaster from start to finish.

Fair enough Lukaku rejecting you, you can take that on the chin when it's Man Utd, and you got Morata in who I think is also a class act.

The sale of Matic was a strange one, especially as you've then bought Drinkwater for a similar price to replace him. I know which player I'd rather.

Then you've been rejected by Oxlaide Chamberlin for Liverpool of all teams, and now Spurs have beat you to the signing of Lorente.

Then the whole Ross Barkley saga yesterday, it seems Spurs again have managed to turn a players head you are interested in.

Like I say I can understand the Lukaku one, but I can't really understand how Spurs and Liverpool are now beating you to signings.

Surely Chelsea the reigning champions should have more of a lure than those 2 clubs.

5. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Not particularly a disaster.

A bit embarassing scrambling for any average joe and then being rejected but apart from not strengthening the squad too much and getting rid of all our youth who would have been good for some depth its been fairly good.

Theoretically we're hoping Morata will be as good as Costa and i'm fairly confident in our system, Bakayoko will be an upgrade on Matic (we were so blunt last season having 2 dms in Kante and matic).

We've strengthened defensively if rudiger starts over cahill (i'm hoping we stick to this) and we have a cover fullback in zappacosta (no idea if hes any good, italian int though). Drinkwater is immensely disappointing but he's a replacement for Chalobah rather than matic (I hope, unless conte really proves me wrong).

Batshuayi isn't a good enough backup striker for Morata. Sure he's a good plan B to get a goal but he can't play as a lone striker at all

6. King Shergar

I think Morata is better than Costa if you ask me, Costas a good player, but he's not quite a 25 goal a season guy, I think Morata is. I think that 25 goal mark is what the very best strikers will consistantly get to if they don't have any injuries. I think if Morata stays fit he'll reach that. As you say Batshuayi isn't cut out to play from the start, so you better hope Morata stays fit.

That's where the positives end for me though, Bakayoko is definitely no upgrade on Matic. You need 2 holding players who are good at winning the ball back with the system you play. This is why Fabregas struggled for game time last season, as in a 2 man midfield he's to much of a luxury player. Bakayoko may be a big powerful lad, but he's not the defensive shield that Matic is, he will leave to many gaps in your midfield, especially against better teams.

Drinkwater plays the same role as Matic does, so I don't see how you could try to claim he isn't a direct replacement. For the same money you all know you'd rather Matic.

7. BobbyD

BobbyD President

absolutely, matic far better than drinky.

I don't think you need 2 holding midfields with 3 at the back, just 2 dynamic midfielders who can defend. Fabregas doesn't work because he's a total luxury, can't defend and has no legs and is very 1 paced and has no strength.

I'm confident that bakayoko will be an upgrade but i guess time will tell. If we didn't have Kante then by all means we needed to keep Matic but i think Kante and Matic together is just not balanced enough. Its just too defensive

8. King Shergar

Well it didn't do you to badly last season with those 2 in midfield<laugh>

Fabregas never used to be like that in his Arsenal days. He was never a great athlete but he had a lot more legs back then. It's a little like Mata for us. Both can unlock defences better than any of their team mates, but the lack of physical attributes means they are a massive liability without the ball.

It's ashame seeing players like that on the bench though, as most other PL teams would love a player like that and would build their teams around them.

BobbyD likes this.
  9. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I would go as far to say Matas more mobile than fabregas. At least he has a good short burst/change of direction. Fabregas has become so one paced its embarassing. Still though hes got great movement and fantastic passing.

You are right though, matic and kante together did as well. We could steamroller the bad teams and shut up shop. We did struggle to break teams down and it took fabregas to come on around 70 minutes to change the game a number of times. Its far more evident against the big sides where we got dominated as we couldn't keep the ball or break them down unless it was via the counter (minus arsenal of course, they don't count)

StanDMan likes this.
  10. chelsea - over 100 years of history

11. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Read somewhere CFC had made more than half a Billion in players sales in last 3 years. Not bad.

12. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Not bad at all considering we've won 2 titles in that time as well. Certainly more than the Manchester clubs can say on either front.

13. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Exactly. That is why Jose should have got a payday and Conte deserves a massive payout.

I won't complain if Conte isn't motivated Tbh. So long he doesn't sabotage like Jose.

14. DferPolarBear

DferPolarBear Well-Known Member

The 66 million Everton offered for Costa must of helped A.Mad. to cough up the cash. Yeah Costa says he wouldn't have gone, but we all know money talks otherwise he would never of left Madrid to start with.

15. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

awww.. Kind of like Everton now, tbh. Not selling us an overrated half decent young kid and getting more money for Costa.

16. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Lots of Rumours re Ross Barkley, a player who has been injured all season and didn't want to join us in the summer. Mmmm..........

Never been convinced by him, inconsistent and bad decision maker. Everton seems his level,. not sure why he'd leave and sit on our bench or Spurs'.

17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

£15m apparently. At that price it's not too much of a risk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42574404

18. Stan

Stan Stalker

Chelsea make this kind of signing every so often to up their British quota. Ruins careers.

Citizen Kane likes this.
  19. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

They'll loan him out to Preston

20. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Probably about the level he deserves.

BobbyD and Skylarker like this.