The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

So entertainment, especially getting a 'fix' of Saints games, will consist of watching recordings of previous matches, whilst wearing my red and white shirt. Or yellow for away games.

2. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

3. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Which is why I am struggling to see an alternative to cancelling the season, which I can accept.

Completing the season at neutral grounds etc but with the threat of relegation removed, is something I would support in favour of completing the season at neutral grounds etc and with relegation still live. (I don't like either idea. But I much prefer the former to the latter.)

But as you say, that would make matches somewhat farcical. Granted, every season has three or four teams who down-tools for the final five to ten games of the season, because they have nothing to play for and mentally are on their summer holidays already. But not half the entire league!

In terms of the on-field issues, all restarting the season in that fashion would amount to is deciding who qualifies for Europe, and the formal placing of Liverpool's crown. For the sake of that, I think there are alternatives to playing all remaining 92 matches. Just give Liverpool the title, give Leicester a CL place, and maybe play introduce some sort of play-off system for the other European places. As a random example, 9th plays 10th, with the winner progressing to play 8th, and so on. At least that would meaning to those games (and only a very small number would be needed).

Of course, it's the off-field issue of money as to why those 92 games would all be played in full, despite half the league having little material interest in the final results of those matches (where relegation is removed).

4. rednright

rednright Well-Known Member

It doesn't stack up for the efl though. Cancel the season or leave it barren and pickbit up at the same point in March 21. Plus the risk to players and staff is zero risk. The idea of playing at a neutral venue is unlikely to be supported by the bottom six sides.

5. Libby

Libby Not606's Top Interviewee

Yeah it's probably unlikely but it would only need a largeish group from one team to start a snowball effect imo.

I believe there is something in regulations about playing your strongest available side in League games. Whatever that means.

6. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

In the grand scheme of things football is not important. There are other more important industries whose problems are going to impact on a far greater number of people.

7. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

That was my thought, I struggle to think of anything more boring.

It's obvious the desperation to complete the season is distorting most chairman's thinking. Just by chance there will be C19 casualties amongst the players, how that adds to the enjoyment of a sporting spectacular escapes me.

I suggest it'll be more fun completing the fixtures using one of these -

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

All those businesses that are being asked to fall back on their cash reserves..... but it’s ok for football to spend every penny it gets ahead of actually getting it and the “have “ to finish its season because otherwise they go bust.

I have loved this game all my life but more and more I have wanted the money bubble to burst and the “game” come back to us.

maybe this is just the bursting.

9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint Lives in a Chilcohüttl
    Forum Moderator

My sentiments exactly. Covid-19 might just be the catalyst the game needs to get rid of the billionaire culture that the Premier League brought in.

fatletiss and Kaito like this.
  10. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

I completely get why the bottom 6 would argue heavily for no relegation - why wouldn't they!

But at the same time, if games go ahead and there is no relegation then ultimately there is far less tension and suspense around a lot of the games. And the whole thing no longer only feels dangerous/insensitive/foolhardy (delete as appropriate for your own views), but also pointless.

For most sides (Saints included) it becomes a glorified pre-season. Yes there's some prize money on offer depending on final position, but really I won't be fussed if we finish 11th or 20th if we restart under those conditions.

11. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

The only way to make it 'interesting' is to have a handicap system for points next year.

So for example, Liverpool (who will win) start on 0 points, 2nd place on -3, 3rd on -6 and so on. No relegation, but a crap performance hinders your next season

12. St Badger

St Badger Well-Known Member

Given our home form, playing at a neutral ground would be of benefit to us, more than it would to the teams who thrive at home.
    I think I am in the scrap it and start again next season camp, rather than put a single person at risk of catching the virus as a result of attending one of these games.

13. Libby

The idea of playing it out with the majority of games meaning **** all is completely absurd. Bin it off ffs.

14. Libby

I've got a week off in a couple of weeks, might paint some bedsheets and go and hang them all round the ground. Reckon there's a decent chance we'll be one of the neutral grounds.

15. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

They had better get the pitch re-laid very quickly then.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  16. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Cant help but feel this is what needs to happen to get back to proper football. A national game based on moderate finances would be a dream come true. Were it not for the fact that it would wreck personal careers, I would say lets go for it!

That said, I'm relaxed either way on the latest proposals. Unlike some countries we do make decisions based on the science and there is no way the Government would permit play unless they were satisfied it was safe to do so.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  17. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

You know what I love the Saints and I love football.

If football went bust would I be upset? Yep.

However, I could say the same for a lot of things and in the grand scheme of things it really isn't important.

Are my family healthy, am I healthy, are my friends healthy, is the country healthy. Sounds selfish maybe but that is the order of priorities in my life..

I cannot see a need to resume and risk lives for 92 'games' of football behind closed doors.

EDIT: Somewhere in there is 'Are the Not606 family healthy' ;)

18. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I agree about the family bit etc .

19. BackFromBeyond

BackFromBeyond Well-Known Member

If the remaining games go ahead behind closed doors at neutral grounds, I don't see why there shouldn't be relegation. I disagree with Brighton's view entirely, I think the "integrity of the league" - and its relationship with EPL - is brought into question if this doesn't happen.

20. MIsaints

MIsaints Active Member

The trouble is who comes up to the PL. Does it just lose three clubs? If the championship doesn’t finish how do they pick three teams to go up? I just don’t see how it is fair unless relegation comes without promotion. With three less teams which is six less games the finances will be impacted next season. Not sure the money barons would like that.