1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Not singling out or accusing, but **** me, shedloads of the global population have died and will continue to die. Sport is a business, but not enough IMO to risk lives.

Normal people will die. Normal people will go bankrupt. We do not need to see football until there is normality again. It really is that simple.

Yes, we need shops open, yes we need to get the economy going, but sport is an extra not an essential business.

I cannot believe that after all we have gone through we even need to discuss this.

......and breathe.

2. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

3. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Another consideration for not pressing ahead is the impact that the virus has had on the BAME community.
    Public Health England is already investigating why there is a disproportionately high number of deaths in this group
    I read this morning that 35% of premier league players fall into this group, so is it fair to push ahead until there is more evidence for the increased death rate in this group?

4. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

5. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

I had a long chat with my disabled pal I go to St Mary's with and we have both agreed to write to Southampton FC and the PL and state our objections to the PL restarting while the Covid-19 virus is still claiming so many victims. We will also state that we will no longer attend St Mary's or contribute financially to the PL in any way if matches are played before the virus is under control according to medical experts, and not just based on what the government says.

It is thoroughly immoral to play football, use up valuable resources and place people at risk unnecessarily for the sake of money making, which is what this is all about. As Saints supporters we both always wish our club the very best in all situations but this goes beyond any form of common sense and just panders to those who have a financial vested interest in seeing the season up and running. It is nothing more than another example of the greedy corporate money men raking in the cash while other people take all the risks.

Hopefully it will come down to the PL players refusing to go along with this idiocy and making a stand.

6. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

This season is over. No matter how they contrive to play out the games, it's a farce to play so many matches under the conditions already aired. Football needs crowds, they are part of the game, not an add-on attraction. Seeing that we've seen the Olympics postponed, may yet be cancelled, is it asking too much to the people who run UEFA and the PL, to just accept all positions as they were when the shut down started and forget promotion and relegation for this season. Probably too much to ask but frankly football is not a big concern for me at present. We also have to think about all the other services required to run any matches, right now the police, NHS, etc have rather more important work to do!

7. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

This thread should be renamed " See yesterdays posts for further details" that's all it has become<laugh>

8. saintrichie123

9. saintrichie123

10. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Do you know the numbers needed to vote yes for it to go through? I’d assume only the bottom 5/6 will vote no

11. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

14 required to vote yes.

12. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

This will be fun.

If FIFA give us a better idea about qualifying for champion and europa competitons it would help.

Lawyers must be in pant wetting mode.

13. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thinking about this season is difficult enough, let alone next season.

But in any event, UEFA have already put forward a proposal of starting qualifying in August. And they've asked each association to confirm by 25 May if their league season will be cancelled or continued.

14. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

in that case I think the season will be finished then, if the government allows

15. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

As always in any crisis , the lawyers are the only ones to profit. Strange that.

I do think we need to chill a bit though. 6 weeks into lockdown and I go out once a day for a walk and once a week for shopping. The rest of the time I watch my neighbours receiving visitors almost every day and others going out 3 or 4 four times in their car. My point is that a sizeable minority are taking the lockdown very seriously whilst others think it applies to everyone but them. The football world is no different. There is a small majority I suspect wanting to finish the season properly but hopefully enough to stop it happening. The Govt wants to keep morale up by slowly re-opening the economy. Keeping people entertained with free football on TV while they continue the lockdown makes more sense than, say, opening B&Q which for me was quite insane. Anyway - like I said, there's enough sensible people around to stop this happening for 2019/20. But the idea of closed door matches on neutral venues could well make sense for the first half of next season.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  16. saintrichie123

17. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Any chance of a copy and paste? I’m not about to subscribe to the Telegraph paywall.

18. saintrichie123

Apparently I have reached the limit on my free trial :(

19. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Shame, from the headline it looks like the spin is getting under way to justify completing the season.

20. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

So on the whole what that title basically says without reading the article, is a business is more important than human life.

**** me.