1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Upto 40k tests to be used.

St. Luigi Scrosoppi likes this.
  3. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

I can see the season being abandoned, no winners and start again next season as it was in 2019

Saints14 and St. Luigi Scrosoppi like this.
  4. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Absolutely beyond disgusting to even contemplate it.

I cant express how angry and annoyed I am about this.

5. Saints Fan4Life

They are literally putting money and greed before the health, safety and wellbeing of all involved.

Disgusting and making me wonder if my future interests are in football when their opinion on life is clearly so low.

6. Saints Fan4Life

Oh lookie, academy season has been curtailed. What a shock, no money r greed riding on those seasons though is there.

Joke.

7. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

I wont ever go to another premier league match in my life if they restart it again before this is all over. Not giving my cash to a money driven no ****s given corporation. Jog on

8. - Doing The Lambert Walk

I think people are being a bit unfair on the PL here. Every business and every industry across the country/world is looking at ways to resume business at the earliest opportunity and in the safest manner possible.

Naive to think they’d ever be any different.

Where are football clubs meant to get the money to pay players and staff and overheads if they can’t generate any income? And to generate income it’s quite simple... they have to have matches.

I have plenty of my own doubts and concerns and moral quandary with the ongoing situation but the sad fact is my job will depend on football restarting sooner rather than later. As it will for thousands of others.

9. Saints Fan4Life

You are probably the only person I've seen ... cant think why.

Doubt many other businesses need medical staff on standby, for example, or have such close contact amongst "staff members" but whatever. It's all about the dosh.

Some things are more important than money.

Saints14 and St. Luigi Scrosoppi like this.
  10. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

11. oakley1

oakley1 Member

I have been at home for 6 weeks now and the prem league will just throw away all the hard work we have done. The government has told us we must stay in and carry out social measures how can they support what the premier league have suggested. Madness!!!

12. - Doing The Lambert Walk

They won't be able to do anything without government authorisation and, as yet, the government has not authorised anything.

Even at the absolute earliest opportunity, live sport wouldn't start for another five weeks.

I've been isolating/locked down (choose your word) since March 13, but I'm sure we'll be starting to take steps to return to normality by mid-June.

13. oakley1

oakley1 Member

Yes that’s coming back to soon. It’s like all of us coming out 3 weeks ago because I need to earn some money and stuff the lockdown measures. I want us to come out of lockdown but it needs to happen slowly not for wrong reasons or pressure from groups away from government. Hopefully the government will not fold under the pressure. What happens when Liverpool win there two games roll in the under 21 team. Not fair on teams who had to play their stronger team.

14. oakley1

oakley1 Member

Fans will travel to any ground to follow their team and their will be thousands outside the ground that may give Liverpool the title. Are they going to stand 2m apart. I don’t think so! Just will tie up Police time. End the season Give Liverpool (Keep them happy) the title promote 3 teams from each league move on and save lives.

15. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I feel for you and those people DTLW, however it is simply not an essential business. That means it shouldn’t be being considered yet.

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Sorry but I disagree.

Yes, they will have to get back to business at some point, but that doesn't equate to having to force the remainder of this season through while the country is dealing with a pandemic and everyone else is still living under restrictions.

Social distancing measures are going to be around for a long time beyond the middle of June. I really don't think it's either practical or morally acceptable to be forcing it through in such circumstances.

I don't buy the comparison with other businesses as the majority of those aren't using up resources such as ambulances and paramedics.

I do understand your situation and feel for you, but there's hundreds of thousands in exactly the same situation due to the unfortunate circumstances we find ourselves in. I've got a friend who's been on nil income for 6 weeks and counting, stories like that all over the country.

Put simply, professional sport should be way down the priorities in the journey of getting the country back to 'normal'.

Will people still be told that there's a limit on funeral attendances while over 200 people can gather at a stadium to watch another 25 or so play a contact sport?

17. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Another reason ...

EB3099BF-6BC3-4A17-8D8A-240F46F026A6.png

18. - Doing The Lambert Walk

No, I agree with what you've written above.

What I didn't agree with is the automatic response of frenzied hysteria that many fly into at the mere suggestion of the league holding a meeting, as if the fact that leagues and clubs are exploring ways of keeping themselves going is totally scandalous and unreasonable. Of course they are having meetings to discuss potential protocols or actions, as literally every other business / industry also tries to map out their path ahead. They wouldn't be doing their job properly if they weren't looking into how to safely return, pending government approval.

That said, I absolutely agree that professional sport should be miles down the list of priorities at current and if it were up to me - and there weren't huge financial knock-on effects - I'd curtail this season right now and focus those efforts on looking into ways of safely starting the new season in late 2020.

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah that's fair enough. I don't think the uncertainty around it is helpful but it is understandable that they would explore every avenue. It's the insistence around it happening and the extreme measures to make it happen that bother me the most tbh, like the Premier League is some sort of exception.

People are obviously venting a bit, but I also feel there's an element of many who were already feeling disconnected from the game and that this is only enhancing that.

That might just be me though.

20. - Doing The Lambert Walk

Yeah, fair again.

Some of the suggestions I've heard about how to get the game going again in June/July are just mental. Normally I'd hope the government would be sensible and accountable and put a stop to those ideas, but... oops, this isn't the politics thread. I'll keep my opinion on the government out of here. :)

Libby and St. Luigi Scrosoppi like this.