1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Nobody wants a no deal, but the point you're missing is that the cocky EU need to believe that we will walk away with no deal. That means we seriously plan for it, just in case.

GoldhawkRoad likes this.
  2. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you've said that because the consistent theme from the Brexit camp has been that no deal really is better than a deal which fetters in any way our freedom to trade with whom we want and to keep out anyone we want. If so, let's just go as quickly as possible and go to Court to sort out any contested liabilities. Instead HM government seems to lurch from one crisis to another and always seems to capitulate at the last minute to demands which you say are unreasonable and designed to punish. Why is that?

3. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

I don't want our freedom to trade fettered by the EU. I want the UK to have control over its own borders. I don't think that's unreasonable and I see no reason why we can't reach a trade deal with the EU on this basis particularly as EU member firms have a great deal to gain, including £37bn cash and access to our market and premier international financial centre.

rangercol likes this.
  4. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

If we walk away with no deal (which Rees-Mogg and his band of loony righties seem to want) are we really going to renege on the agreement to pay the £37bn? Surely that's just what we have agreed we owe, not contingent upon a trade agreement?

5. Stroller

What a hero...…

please log in to view this image

Steelmonkey likes this.
  6. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Hard to believe that he gets re-elected with a record like that. Unvelievable that one MP can prevent so much debate - his actions yesterday are surely deplorable, apparently over 90% of people polled were in favour of making upskirting an offence (although how it already isn't is quite difficult to understand - and why would anyone want to do something so creepy?)

Stroller likes this.
  7. Stroller

Mrs May decided he was worthy of a knighthood last year for 'services to the country'.

8. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Nothing is agreed unless and until everything is agreed, May has made that clear, so the £37bn figure means nothing in the event of a no-deal

9. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

He's the MP for my constituency ( I can't bring myself to say "my MP"). He's a self-serving, nasty troublemaker who gets elected because he wears a blue rosette, not a red, orange, green or yellow one. The people who vote for him either agree with his voting record or are oblivious to it. Generally the latter.

One of his troublemaking habits is to object to the first pass of every private members bill to stop them being passed through to the next stage without a debate and vote being timetabled. Then, when debated, to help filibuster the ones he doesn't like so they run out of time and get dropped.

He wouldn't have known what he was objecting to, nor would he have cared. I met him once. Odious.

10. Steelmonkey

Hope he gets deselected.

Was watching BBC News earlier, and a girl who had been the victim of upskirting was being interviewed - she sent a tweet to him asking why he had objected, and what was his issue - he isn't even aware of what Upskirting is, but has agreed to meet her to discuss the issue. Brave girl.

11. Steelmonkey

kiwiqpr likes this.
  12. Stroller

Is there a General Election looming? Mrs May seems to have located the magic money tree in announcing an extra £20bn a year for the NHS by 2023. Great, if she is as good as her word, but how are they going to do it? Good luck waiting for the 'Brexit dividend'.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  13. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

ELLERS, Steelmonkey and kiwiqpr like this.
  14. I just think they should bite the bullet and increase national insurance to fund it. As a public servant I don't like the idea of ring fencing an income tax rise for one topic or department as it sets us all against each other and takes everyone's focus off doing the actual work we should. And I'm thinking entirely of myself as I'm coming up to 30 years in post!

15. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

It’s a meaningless statement which will curry favour with morons.

She’s in no position at all to say what will happen in 2023. She’ll be in a home by then rocking in a chair and muttering “Brexit means Brexit” for 18 hours a day.

kiwiqpr and Stroller like this.
  16. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

To be honest, from a front line perspective, no money in the world will change the fact that there will always be a massive strain on the NHS.
    An aging population, a mental health crisis and rampant drink and drug abuse, coupled with the fact that EVERYONE feels they need to go to hospital (as is their right) means there will never be enough staff, ambulances or facilities for all.
    I wish I had a solution but until someone far more clever than me comes up with one......we’ll keep on going.

17. Bwood_Ranger

Boot out them immigrants wot are clogging up the NHS.

18. Staines R's

Immigrants aren’t the problem.

West London Willy likes this.
  19. Bwood_Ranger

I wasn’t being serious, Stainesy.

I was near Staines the other day. Went to lovely little pub in Laleham.

20. Staines R's

I know mate ;)
    Which pub ? The Retreat ? 3 Horseshoes ? Or in Laleham Village ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Stroller