1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Absolutely no idea of the name or that there was a difference between Laleham and Laleham village.

The liver was nice though.

2. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Only when it comes to sell your house. I like living in Laleham. After years living the other side of the airport (Northolt, Hayes, West Drayton) it’s got a better feel, though not without its problems.

3. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

UTRs, Uber_Hoop and Steelmonkey like this.
  4. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

so will the bill get another hearing or is that the end of it

Sir Christopher is a leading member of a group of backbench Conservatives who make a practice of ensuring that what they see as well-meaning but flabby legislation is not lazily plopped on to the statute book by a few MPs on a poorly-attended Friday sitting.
    And - after all - this is a bill to create a new criminal offence, for which people can go to jail.
    So, however worthy the cause, he insists on proper, extensive scrutiny, and he has spent most Commons Fridays for the last 20 years doing just that.

5. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Thanks for that clarification Sir Christopher.

kiwiqpr and Uber_Hoop like this.
  6. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

it was from the bbc

sounds fair to me
    laws that can send people to prison for up to two years should be passed be more than the 20 mps who live in london

7. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Upskirting row: MP Sir Christopher Chope says he supports ban
    please log in to view this image
    Image copyright UK Parliament
    The Conservative MP who blocked a bill that would have made "upskirting" a criminal offence has said he "wholeheartedly" supports such a law.
    Had the law passed, someone secretly taking a photo up a woman's skirt could have faced up to two years in prison.
    Speaking to his local paper, the Bournemouth Echo, Sir Christopher Chope said he was objecting to parliamentary procedure rather than the law itself.
    The Christchurch MP said he was not "a dinosaur" and was being "scapegoated".
    Prime Minister Theresa May said she was "disappointed" that one of her own MPs had prevented the bill from progressing.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
    She added that she wanted to see the measures passed soon.
    Sir Christopher said upskirting was "vulgar, humiliating and unacceptable" and said accusations he was "some kind of pervert" were "a complete travesty of the truth".
    "It's defamatory of my character and it's very depressing some of my colleagues have been perpetuating that in the past 48 hours," he added.

He explained that he stopped the bill from progressing because he disapproved of how the legislation was being brought in.
    "The government has been hijacking time that is rightfully that of backbenchers," he said.
    "This is about who controls the House of Commons on Fridays and that's where I am coming from."
    He accused the government of trying to "bring in what it wants on the nod", adding: "We don't quite live in the Putin era yet."
    'Shame'
    The bill was expected to sail through the Commons on Friday, but parliamentary rules mean it only required one MP to shout "object" to block its progress.
    Sir Christopher's intervention was met with shouts of "shame" from other MPs.
    His actions were attacked by MPs - many from his own party.
    Scottish Conservative MP Paul Masterton said the intervention did "damage" to the public's view of the party.

• There is no law specifically naming and banning upskirting in England and Wales - victims and police are currently only able to pursue offences of outraging public decency or as a crime of voyeurism
    • Upskirting has been an offence in Scotland since 2010 when it was listed under the broadened definition of voyeurism
    What are the limitations of the current situation in England and Wales?
    • Voyeurism only applies to filming actions taking place in private
    • Outraging public decency usually requires someone to have witnessed the action but upskirting is often unobserved
    • Unlike other sexual offences, people don't have an automatic right to anonymity
    What does the new law propose?
    • As well as carrying a maximum two-year sentence, it would also allow, in the most serious cases, those convicted to be placed on the sex offenders register

8. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

looks like shes eaten a few though

9. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

We've discussed this before - start to make regular customers with self-inflicted health issues pay for their board lodging and treatment and there'll soon be enough money for people with genuine illnesses and injuries.

Goldhawk-Road likes this.
  10. Staines R's

I do agree to some extent, but looking at the bigger picture and having human compassion, all these people have got to where they are for some reason or another. I really don’t think anyone wakes up one morning and says ‘ You know what, today I’m gonna be an alcoholic’......it’s tragic, in a lot of cases, and I wish I had an answer....sadly I don’t.

11. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

It’d be a popular idea but you don’t get many wealthy drug addicts, for example. Do we just refuse these people access?

Staines R's likes this.
  12. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

If someone is a registered alcoholic or in drug rehabilitation - ie trying to solve their problems with help from the state, then they should not be charged. Otherwise, there should be a charge, or community service for those without funds. And I don't see why taxpayers should pay for drunk tanks filled with revellers who grossly indulge, at least, regularly (I'd give everyone a "one free" before the charge kicks in for further drunken hospital visits)

13. Staines R's

Where does it end ?
    Suicide attempts (they take a lot of resources) ?
    Teenage stab victims (could be in a gang) ?
    Fat people ?
    Smokers ?
    Jogging cardiac arrests (we get a few) ?

Who gets charged/fined ?

sb_73 and Uber_Hoop like this.
  14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

It’s probably more cost effective to keep everything free at the point of delivery (its complicated, time consuming and expensive to set up systems to collect fees from drunk people) and focus on public health and education to reduce incidence. Long term solution, so our short term government won’t consider it. But it’s the vulnerable elderly rather than the high profile profligate young who are stuck in hospitals needlessly, because there is nowhere else for them to go.

It’s good that the NHS will get more money, though it will be some time before things feel different and it will only have a lasting positive effect if we recruit/train and reward more healthcare professionals and match the investment with an even bigger one in social care.

Apparently by 2023 our healthcare spending will catch up with what the French spend. Which is where it was in 2010 before Austerity Osborne arrived. It’s a pretty simple thing to understand, with our demographics, that if you disinvest in health and social care you create misery.

Doubtless I will have to cough up more in terms of tax, which is fine (this Brexit dividend stuff is complete bollocks, unless we aren’t going to subsidise the farmers any more), but I will get pissed off if the usual **** spending goes on. Heard on the radio the other day that one NHS trust was paying 64p per toilet roll that it bought, while one down the road was paying 43p. You can get them in Tesco for 22p.

kiwiqpr, BobbyD and Staines R's like this.
  15. YorkshireHoopster

Yes but do the Tesco ones wipe your backside properly? Can't help thinking that if I was going to save money on bog rolls I'd rather get them from Aldi or Lidl

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  16. YorkshireHoopster

Again I refer you to the previous discussion. We won't get it right straightaway and there will have to be some adjustment over time to draw the line fairly between those making an innocent mistake once and those who enjoy being legless so much that they will willingly repeat the exercise. Jogging cardiac arrests eh? Do you get many repeat offenders. People who jog usually learn the lesson if they overdo it.

I enjoyed the questions last time so here goes.

Suicide attempts - Yes. anyone desperately unhappy enough to try to take his/her own life needs help.
    Teenage stab victims - join a gang and pay the fine
    Fat people - can they be treated? have they tried? If the fault lies with their lack of will power rather than their genetic metabolic profile they can pay.
    Smokers - definitely should be made to pay. Why should they be rescued time and again and refuse to give up.

Roll up. Any more willing to take on the YH decision maker?

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Smokers already pay, the tobacco tax contribution is much higher than the cost of treating smokers. Of course that money goes to the Treasury, not the NHS.

Deleted....... and kiwiqpr like this.
  18. Goldhawk-Road

You have to draw lines. Pretty much agree with York's answer. This is where my lines are:

Suicide attempts - not charged if the subject accepts psychological help and counselling. Should be a hospital discretion here, if repeated attempts are not serious and just attention seeking.

Teenage stab victims - no charge. Hopefully it will put them off gangs for life

Fat people - no charge initially, but if medical advice is ignored and subject doesn't attend slimming sessions etc, a charge could be levied to get them to pull their finger out

Smokers - no charge when subject comes in for smoking related problem, on condition that they act on the necessary doctor's advice to cut down, use patches etc

Jogging - no charge, indeed never a charge for people who are doing sports and exercises (including dangerous ones) which keep them fit

The emphasis has to be on the state helping the individual to help themselves stay fit and healthy.

19. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

why dont we just go full on logans run for 75 year olds
    imagine the savings

YorkshireHoopster and Uber_Hoop like this.
  20. Goldhawk-Road

I'd buy into that for Ken Livingstone

Uber_Hoop likes this.