1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0168-drink
    genuinely pathetic, seriously that comment says all you need to know. My club <laugh> I support them more than you. What next? my dad is bigger than your dad?

I suspect QPR is possibly higher in your list of priorities to you than me but if you honestly think that me considering humanitarian issues, the welfare of my fellow humans important as a bad thing? Knock your socks off fella

Why is it you are seemingly the only person on here who can’t debate/discuss with some other posters? There are others on here who are politically aligned to the Torys that don’t have people blocked, just you as far as I can see, why is that?

bobmid and Staines R's like this.
  2. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Right. She was Shadow Home Sec. Here's a reminder from Wiki:

PS We've never heard more of her long term illness, which was the reason Corbyn used to lock her in a cupboard

On 2 May 2017, during that year's general election campaign, Labour's pledge to recruit an extra 10,000 police officers was overshadowed by Abbott's inability to give accurate funding figures. In an interview on LBC Radio with Nick Ferrari, she repeatedly struggled to explain how the promise would be funded. In the interview, Abbott frequently paused, shuffled her papers and gave out the wrong figures.[41] When asked about her performance, the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, insisted he was not embarrassed by what many pundits called a "car crash" interview.[42]

In a further interview conducted by ITV on 5 May 2017, as the 2017 local elections results were being announced, Abbott was again unable to give accurate figures on the Labour party's performance suggesting that the party had a net loss of 50 seats. However, her figure was corrected by the interviewer who stated that Labour had in fact lost 125 seats, at which point Abbott said that the last figures she had seen were a net loss of around 100.[43]

Appearing on Andrew Marr's Sunday morning programme for the BBC on 28 May, Abbott's apparent support for the IRA nearly 35 years ago came up, along with some parliamentary votes Marr thought questionable. These included her advocacy of the abolition of "conspiratorial groups" such as MI5 and Special Branch in the late 1980s, both of which she said had been successfully reformed. She defended a vote opposing the proscription of a list of groups, including al-Qaida, on the basis that some of the others had the status of dissidents in their country of origin and Abbott would have voted to ban al-Qaida in isolation.[44] According to Sam Coates in The Times, this appearance was arranged without the consent of Labour's campaign team.[45]

On 5 June 2017, during a Sky News interview, Abbott was unable to answer questions about the Harris report on how to protect London from terror attacks. She insisted that she had read the report, but was unable to recall any of the 127 recommendations. When asked if she could remember the specific recommendations, Abbott said: "I think it was an important review and we should act on it."[46][47] Abbott also denied reports that Corbyn and shadow chancellor John McDonnell were attempting to stop her from making broadcasts.[45][48] The next day, Abbott withdrew at the last minute – citing illness – from a joint interview on Woman's Hour on 6 June, in which she had been due to face her Conservative frontbench opposite number Amber Rudd.[49] On 7 June, Corbyn announced that Abbott was "not well" and had stepped aside in her role as Shadow Home Secretary. Lyn Brown was temporarily assigned to replace her.[50] Barry Gardiner said in a radio interview on LBC that Abbott had been diagnosed with having a "long-term" medical condition, and was "coming to terms with that".[50]

3. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Never been Abbotts biggest fan to be honest but at least she hasnt cost the tax payer 350k in compensation to cover up bullying in the work place.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  4. Goldhawk-Road

There's never going to be a finding of "true", because even if the allegations of Meghan's bullying are true, many of her supporters will refuse to believe it. This isn't going to a trial. So it's a question of what the public judges to be true. And since 12 men and women are seen fit at law to judge guilty or innocent in a criminal trial, I'd say 60 million plus in the UK will be a pretty accurate measure once all the available evidence is in the public domain.

5. Goldhawk-Road

Yes, she was incompetent but no allegations of bullying.

6. Goldhawk-Road

But still arguably the most important politician in the C21st

ELLERS likes this.
  7. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

The actual replies to this tweet have so cheered me up this morning.....who says people ain’t gullible :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Goldhawk-Road likes this.
  8. Staines R's

Oh come on Goldie.....he really isn’t

9. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

When I said that his racist poster was a major factor in the Brexit vote, you told me that he wasn't really influential at all.

10. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Bet he’s knocked one out over her sex scenes in Suits on the sly.

bobmid, BobbyD and Staines R's like this.

11. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Free-thinking Brexiteers never really believed the Turkey thing at all.

12. Goldhawk-Road

Farage's influence was getting the Brexit referendum. Thereafter, others took over

13. Goldhawk-Road

I don't think there would have been a Brexit referendum without him, Stainsey.

14. Goldhawk-Road

please log in to view this image

Now devoting herself to a life of compassion and humble living

ELLERS likes this.
  15. Staines R's

I guess we’ll never know mate....However I think his importance in politics is only felt by a few

16. Willhoops

so beautiful. Long live the new people’s princess

bobmid likes this.
  17. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

I'm with Goldy. I don't have much time for Farage, but hard to think of anyone who has had a bigger influence beyond the PMs, and even some of them...surely Blair is the only competitor for most influential politician of the C21st, and arguably most of his influence was felt from 1994-2000...

https://www.ft.com/content/f97f7e82-2321-11ea-92da-f0c92e957a96

FT's list of fifty people who shaped the 2010s (globally). Politicians they listed: Abiy Ahmed, Tayyip Erdogan, Nigel Farage, Mohamed Bouazizi, Koch brothers, Macron, Merkel, Modei, Moro, Obama, Putin, Mohammed bin Salman, Edward Snoden, Qassem Soleimani, Aung San Suu Kyi, Trump, Joshua Wong, Xi Jinping, Malala Yousafzi.

Goldhawk-Road and ELLERS like this.
  18. Staines R's

She’d look good serving up pints in The Old Dog and Duck......

kiwiqpr likes this.
  19. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

<laugh>

20. Willhoops

Makes me love her even more

kiwiqpr and Staines R's like this.