1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Quite right.

Goldhawk-Road likes this.
  2. rangercol

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

3. rangercol

Lol

4. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I did read it, but it didn't tell me much - I'm not really interested in Edmund Burke's views on the EU. It seems to me that this government has little or no intention of securing a trade deal. Certainly, the promise to secure frictionless trade seems to have been abandoned.

5. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

brilliant did you come up with that all by yourself? No of course you didn’t <laugh>

6. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

I have, ages ago. Check out the track "Black" - brilliantly written lyrics, a look at how it is being black in current society, and how hard they have to work to be even seen as equal to white people.

kiwiqpr and Stroller like this.
  7. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Another classic. Seek help, honestly.

Willhoops likes this.
  8. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Don't ask for a back, sack and crack!...

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  9. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

RTÉ News
    @rtenews

A draft of the 27 EU nations' position on negotiations with Britain on their future relationship seeks the 'return or restitution of unlawfully removed cultural objects to their countries of origin'

that will be every museum in Europe emptied then

10. Willhoops

11. Turkish" Premier" Hoops

Turkish" Premier" Hoops Well-Known Member

Tiddler likes this.
  12. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

'They allowed the perfect storm': UN expert damns New Zealand's housing crisis
    Special rapporteur says successive governments have contributed to what she called a ‘human rights crisis’

please log in to view this image

Eleanor Ainge Roy in Dunedin

@EleanorAingeRoy
    Tue 18 Feb 2020 23.48 GMT Last modified on Wed 19 Feb 2020 00.44 GMT

Shares

United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Right to Adequate Housing Leilani Farha said New Zealand’s housing crisis is tragic Photograph: Chandan Khanna/AFP/Getty Images

When Leilani Farha touches down in a new city, the first thing the UN special rapporteur on the right to adequate housing does is look up.

In Melbourne, Toronto, London and Dublin, the skies above are filled with cranes, Farha says, soaring across the skylineto construct new homes for their booming populations.

Last week Farha arrived in Wellington on a fact-finding mission, lured by the headlines of a housing crisis, chronic homelessness, and motels bulging with desperate families for months at a time – all occurring with a new progressive government at the helm.

“I didn’t see cranes in the sky, which is suggestive of not a lot of development – that struck me right away,” says Farha, a plain-talking Canadian. “They allowed the perfect storm, and that’s successive governments. It’s really a bit tragic. It’s a human rights crisis.”

All sectors of New Zealand housing market 'severely' unaffordable: survey
    Read more
    As special rapporteur since 2014, Farha’s missions have included fact-finding trips to India, Portugal and Chile, but as her last mission, New Zealand piqued her interest for its large Indigenous population (16% Māori), progressive left-leaning government led by Jacinda Ardern, and entrenched issues with homelessness, affordable housing, rampant property speculation and poor-quality homes.

According to the recent Demographia International survey, New Zealand has one of the most unaffordable housing markets in the world, and over the past decade homelessness has increased to more than 40,000, or 1 in 100 Kiwis – with working families also now feeling the bite, with some forced to sleep in cars, tents and shipping containers – despite being in full-time employment.

It requires an urgent response, and that’s what I am not sure I’ve seen

Leilani Farha, UN special rapporteur
    Recently the waiting list for state housing hit a record high, and the government scaled back its flagship KiwiBuild programme, which had aimed to build 100,000 affordable home in 10 years – but managed to build only 47 in six months.

“The bottom line is sadly we don’t have any strategic housing plan as a country, there’s no strategic plan in terms of making a difference,” said Bernie Smith, the chief executive officer of Monte Cecilia Housing Trust, which houses homeless families in south Auckland. “There’s a hell of a lot of money going into motels and transitional housing, but very little going into building homes.”

On the 10-day mission, Farha visited an Auckland marae that has housed homeless families over the winter, cramped motels in the Hutt valley that are being used as emergency housing, and boarding houses she describes as “deplorable”. On her hotel doorstep, too, there were people sleeping rough.

“If people in New Zealand continue to call it a housing crisis it obfuscates what is going on here … the conditions are really stark,” Farha says, citing damp, mouldy homes that cause chronic illnesses of poverty, and rampant housing discrimination against Māori, Pasifika and those with disabilities.

“It’s in sizeable proportions, and it requires an urgent response, and that’s what I am not sure I’ve seen.”

Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Leilani Farha says New Zealand’s problem is more a human rights crisis than a housing crisis. Photograph: David Wall/Alamy Stock Photo
    Though there were some positive points (the government’s housing-first approach to tackling homelessness was applauded), Farha says the scale of the problem in New Zealand has gone far beyond a housing crisis – it’s a human rights crisis, and the Ardern government appear somewhat in denial, though Farha stresses they are “trying”.

Among other recommendations, Farha is hopeful the government will immediately appoint a commissioner or watchdog to oversee housing issues, introduce an overarching framework for all housing policy based on human-rights principles, and legislate to make housing a human right for all.

The failure to implement a capital gains tax has drawn Farha’s scorn, as has the three-year electoral cycle, which she observes keeps governments in campaign mode, and makes them too timid to enact sweeping, “courageous” changes needed to tackle the “urgent, entrenched” problems which have bedded in since before the global financial crisis under successive governments.

Māori have been homeless since the 1860s

Leilani Farha
    “I’ve seen and heard a lot of interesting and thoughtful policies, but I think what remains to be seen here is courageous acts, creative measures, and structural change,” says Farha. “In terms of innovation, I just didn’t get a feeling that really creative ideas were being explored. It’s a little bit same-old, same-old.”

During the trip, Farha spent a good deal of time talking to Māori people, who are disproportionately affected by the housing crisis, as are Pasifika peoples and those with disabilities.

Farha says for Māori the housing crisis goes much deeper than a home with four walls, and their self-determination must be written into all future rights-based housing policies.

“It became so clear to me and was beautifully articulated for me that Māori have been homeless since the 1860s,” says Farha.

“It was profound to be in the company of people who were searching for so much more than four walls and a roof. And the only way they’ll reach where they want to get is a complete reorientation of relationship with government.”

The housing crisis in New Zealand can be “hidden”, Farha says, as the streets of the country have an overall feeling of well-being. On her visit, Farha was frequently overcome with a feeling of “outrage” at the conditions New Zealanders were living in – and a secondary sense of outrage, at the lack of urgency surrounding the emergency, which put lives at risk.

”I think New Zealand let things go and it is really unfortunate.” she says. “But I did have a sense of outrage … this is urgent.”

13. Willhoops

There really isn’t any fixing you, you’ve demonstrated that. Maybe one day you’ll actually make a valid point on here but it’s more likely you’ll carry on with your bitter ill informed rants it’s pretty EMBARRASSING really. Tommeh would be proud though <party>

14. Willhoops

15. Turkish" Premier" Hoops

There you go again using assumptions to associate me with something or someone to justify your own WOKE agenda, as I’ve said previously you really are a special kind of ****ing stupid.

16. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear the EU want to bind the UK into its decision making through standards, use of the ECJ etc. It won't work. But there's a lot of brinkmanship about, so we'll see.

petersaxton likes this.
  17. Willhoops

go on what’s a woke agenda? Oh you say I make assumptions about you then turn around and do exactly the same ..... it’s really frustrating having to explain basic things in the most simplistic ways to you.... and you still don’t have the mental capacity to grasp things. Just so you know your schoolyard insults have no effect on me, it just shows your major limitations. So that’s another post from you that says absolutely nothing. Like WWR says you really need to seek help.

18. Turkish" Premier" Hoops

Hahahahahahahaha, still more dribble from a complete horses arse, your really boring me now you absolute goon.

Tiddler and petersaxton like this.
  19. Willhoops

What’s this woke agenda you mentioned? Care to explain what you mean by that? Or by your refusal to do so far am I to understand you can’t and it’s meaningless words. What’s your opinion on the far right terrorist attack, it does seem to be an escalating problem.

20. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Can’t you right pair of ****s be civil to each other? :)