1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. DT’s Socks

DT’s Socks Well-Known Member

Staines old kiddy it’s not as easy to suggest Margot has her fruit. The important thing here which you have touched on is the self obsession I keep harping on about.

I witnessed what happened in my old home town when the water went off for two days and it was dreadful ... yes you had Margo’s buying crates of bottled water and Tesco didn’t even bring in any control they were obsessed with cashing in ... after two hours you had people storming houses that weren’t affected and plenty of violence took place

I know water is more important than fruit but it was chaos and the response times of the police and water people was frankly useless all because a hi Mac fractured the towns main water supply on yet another new build!

Greed will become the normal is any circumstance and the UK has not got the mentality or resources to cope with any crisis imo. We are not ready for it son x Simple as that plus just imagine the blame game infecting everyone

I believe you should open your mind as without you have the minerals to do so

It’s not project fear it’s serious stuff

2. DT’s Socks

Liquidate it’s coming

3. DT’s Socks

They do not give a **** about the poor people now what makes you think they will change just because they have a yellow hammer ?

kiwiqpr and Staines R's like this.
  4. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Read it or just seen sound bites on Sky News ?

Any comment on the radio call I put up from the ex-port fella or gonna conveniently ignore what he says.......?

kiwiqpr likes this.
  5. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Or maybe anyone who does understand what "worse case scenario" is, is the ****ing idiot?

6. Goldhawk-Road

Some interesting stuff happening with Boris's talks in Ireland. One market on agriculture on the island, hasn't been knocked down out of hand by the DUP. And Boris may be offering a bridge between NI and Scotland as a sweetener.

The EU will ask for more, and want manufacturing and pharmaceuticals to be included. But this could be the area of breakthrough

7. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

That is going to be some feat of engineering! Those are some rough waters between the two countries - I've been on many a ferry crossing to Belfast and Larne and been thrown all over the boat! It will take years to build too

kiwiqpr, DT’s Socks and bobmid like this.
  8. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Still really really positive though hey. Cant wait for the best case scenario.

9. Goldhawk-Road

Done a bit of research. The longest bridge in the world is in China. Lake Pontchartrain Causeway is 102 miles long.

The closest point between Scotland and North Antrim is 12 miles. We should have it done by Christmas!

kiwiqpr, Uber_Hoop and bobmid like this.
  10. Steelmonkey

"If there are issues, they will be on the Calais side of the border...." so there may be long delays getting in to Dover

"Huge queues in Kent for outgoing goods.... " so our perishable exports will be affected

"The first import declaration is due six months after a no-deal...." What happens then?

Reading some of the comments after is like reading this thread!!

kiwiqpr and Uber_Hoop like this.

11. Goldhawk-Road

Apparently the civil servants that prepared Yellowhammer provided for massive tailbacks and delays at Calais - but never spoke to the French to verify.

The mayor of Calais is not expecting any problems at all. Project Fear subsists, I'm afraid.

If it's difficult sourcing blueberries in the supermarkets for a month or two, I'll live with it.

12. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

So basically you're saying that the government shouldnt be trusted? Is that right?

13. Goldhawk-Road

It's not government, it's the civil service which is to a very large part, Remain. If they produce a report, they have to justify it, and it's clear on a lot of this stuff, they've just put a finger in the wind rather do proper research.

14. Steelmonkey

Trust me, they ain't gonna build the bridge there.... to get to Campbletown from Glasgow takes about 3 and a half hours on standard A roads (no dual carriageway for well over 100 miles), ****ty windy roads, no overtaking and The Rest And Be Thankful is shut several times a year due to snow/landslides adding another 50 mile diversion on even ****tier roads!

Any bridge would need to be from Stranraer/Cairnryan where the ferries currently run from - that's a distance of about 30 miles. It took 5 years to build the new bridge across the Forth of Firth!

15. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

But as I pointed out a few weeks ago mate, the current head of Calais port has said the reports of delays at their end are ‘Le Bullshit’......I mean why should we believe him, he only runs the place.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  16. Goldhawk-Road

You know the area, Steel, and have superior knowledge. It would obviously be a major project, and have major significance politically, commercially, socially indeed any other way. But even if it took 15/20 years, if it's the answer on Brexit and confers future benefits, it may be worth the money. And it sound as though it's technically feasible.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  17. DT’s Socks

I agree I have a mate who is a civil engineer and worked on the Dublin tunnel... a bridge has been looked at for decades and he thinks it’s impossible exactly because of the sea bed depths and currents. I think at one point it’s over 100m or more? There are islands below the sea at 40m but there one point where it would cause massive problems

It would take 25 years of underwater preparations even if it was feasible I was told a couple of years back. Small subject of the cost also which would make HS2 look like pocket money (HS2: the current laughing stock of the world)

Who would build it? The UK certainly won’t but they may design it. Norman is knocking on a bit and Gilbert is long gone.

It looks to me a massive project
    The French would knock it out in 5 years I expect.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  18. Goldhawk-Road

Good, open it up to tender for the French to bid. That'll oil the Brexit negotiations

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  19. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Tell me more me more about the research or lack of it mate I'm intrigued. I suppose some people believe stuff and some people dont. This report, the 350m bus advert for the NHS. Surely somewhere there is a report about the benefits of leaving the EU. That should be the easiest report to write. Unless Mogg was correct in his prediction that we wont see any for nearly half a century.

QPRoma likes this.
  20. Goldhawk-Road

I've given you the example of not bothering to liaise with the French. That blows a hole in their report.

When you prepare a report like this, it's usual to prepare it on a "likely" basis and a "worse case" basis. The civil servants don't seem interested in what's likely because it doesn't fit in with their agenda. It's Cameron and Osborne all over again, and people's eyes glaze over