1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Golfing Thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by crumble bungle, May 26, 2016.

1. farnboromackem

farnboromackem Well-Known Member

https://www.livgolf.com/format

Have a look at this mate. Figures are incredible

COYCS likes this.
  2. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I don't agree with it, just pointing the facts.....I would ask anyone...if someone flashed a $200 million cheque for doing half the work (and you don't have to win)...not many wouldn't take it

farnboromackem likes this.
  3. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

I'm not a golf fan really, just saw some of this in the news over the last couple of days.

I think it's a very interesting debate on morality, but I'm not sure it's fair that people get condemned so easily, as I don't think it's a straightforward decision to turn it down.

First of all, it's a bit of a cheek for the reporter to ask the question. It could be just as easily turned around and asked "If Vladimir Putin was hosting a tournament, would you and your company still be reporting on it". Why is giving it coverage any different to participating?

On top of that, we have football, F1 and Boxing all taking Saudi money, but I don't think we're interrogating individuals in those sports so much.

Then of course there's the fact that the US and UK governments have strong relationships with Saudi Arabia. Is it acceptable to demand our sportsmen hold up moral values that our politicians do not?

The easy answer is that they're already rich so they don't need more money, and I think that's true to a point. Being a multimillionaire, does allow you to take a greater moral stance if you wish to do so. But then if your morals go out of the window just because you lack wealth, then I don't think you're morally on steady ground yourself.

Would the average person do their job in Russia temporarily for £100m? I'd say 99.9% would say yes. In fact, I'd go as far as say that with no consequences, and a choice of £100m or saving the life of 1 random Ukrainian, most people would take the money and let them die. It's sad but it's human nature.

Anyway, I've strayed your golf chat a bit off course with this rant so I'll end it here.

SAFCDRUM and farnboromackem like this.
  4. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Don't think this will have helped Westwood....

5. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I think they are getting paid between a $150,000,000 to $200,000,000 each mate but I will check<ok>

COYCS likes this.
  6. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

The golfers playing in the inaugural Saudi-funded LIV Golf event this week are doing it for "boatloads of cash", says Rory McIlroy.

Major champions Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson are reported to have been paid $200m and $150m respectively to play in the fledgling series.

McIlroy is defending his Canadian Open title this week on the PGA Tour.
    Hope that helps mate.

COYCS likes this.
  7. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Okay, I can understand wanting the biggest pay check you can get. But don't pretend that you are not multimillionaires already. You are not 'doing it for your families' you are just greedy bastards.

The next stage is to find out if those taking the 30 pieces of silver can be kicked out of the US & DP tours, the Majors and Ryder Cup.

8. COYCS

COYCS Well-Known Member

There are 48 players contest for the prize money at the Centurion Club London, is the money you are quoting for this competition or for the series?

9. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

I think that bulk sum is for the series and then there's prize money on top of that. Of course they are rich but some like Poulter and the Irish fella must be close to losing their PGA ticket soon so for them it's a no brainer.

COYCS likes this.
  10. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

25 million in prize monet per event

COYCS likes this.

11. COYCS

COYCS Well-Known Member

Cheers lads, that's a lot of money and it is a no brained, but l can see it disrupting golf just as Kerry Packer did with cricket all those years ago.

Do you think no TV coverage will have any affect?

12. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

13. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Been reading about this and saw an article on Dustin Johnson and his reasons behind playing in it.

A quote from him in the article after mentions he had £72 million in winnings already in his career and has joined up for a reported £150 million was... "I don't want to play golf for my whole life and this is a chance to make that happen"

A bloke with only £72 million in winnings and worried he might have to play golf all his life? He must have expensive taste or a serious Charlie habit

14. COYCS

COYCS Well-Known Member

Morning Chunks, sometimes l get the appearance on the PGA tour it's like a roll up with my mates and we will win some money. Surely he can live a good life on £72 million.

As l said earlier about disruption and that news report could be the start.

15. SAFCDRUM

You can watch it live on YouTube so it's even free to watch as long as you have broadband. I watched about 3 mins then got bored. I'm enjoying watching the PGA events which I stick on last thing at night.

COYCS likes this.
  16. COYCS

COYCS Well-Known Member

I will be playing today up near Mansfield (Coxmoor) but recorded the Swedish golf as our Meghan Mclaren is playing. Sadly she and her family are mags. We have quite a few of them.

17. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Dont understand it though. I read from somewhere, not sure its true, that only 50,000 people were watching it on YouTube, worldwide. I know the Saudi's have money to burn, but what are they generating, what are they gaining, other than sports washing?

18. SAFCDRUM

Exactly. Didn't realise the golf game needed to grow as the European tour play games all over the world.

19. COYCS

COYCS Well-Known Member

Thanks that incredible reading.

I payed a course at Farnborough some years ago by the airport with a plane statue at the gates?
    Not sure if it's still there.

farnboromackem likes this.
  20. farnboromackem

farnboromackem Well-Known Member

That would have been Southwood GC. The OP was a member there and I played it regularly when I lived down there. Sadly no longer there but not sure what's in its place.

COYCS likes this.