1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Gas

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Sep 20, 2021.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  2. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I think we should be concerned about the looming gas crisis, and also about the lack of CO2 being produced in the UK at the moment which affects a lot of things such as
    Humanely killing animals for human consumption
    Used in food manufacturing to prolong shelf life
    Used in the manufacture of beer

I'm very worried about the last one particularly !

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  3. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

I used to love the open fire at Christmas, we still have one but not been lit for 30 years In Scotland we have a woodburner, mostly as you say burn odd bits of "rubbish" wood off cuts old decking/ fencing / etc. I don't know if true but apparently smokeless fuels still cause as much pollution as standard coal [ processes to get it smokeless as nuts and is still carbon so gives off co2 ]
    I have 15+ bags of wood to go Scotland been at bottom of garden, been there for.. well since Jan 2019 ….. NOT KNOCKING YOU BY THE WAY... statement was a generalization. On the mendips there is a farm that cuts tree's leave for a year and turn into logs [ tractor driven logging cutter and splitter ]

4. realred1952

ironic isn't it .. co2 causes global warming .. and we actually produce it to survive on meat and beer..!

5. bcfcredandwhite

I'm ashamed to say that I don't buy smokeless for the environment - I buy it because it burns slower than the housecoal and therefore lasts longer so I get more 'burn' for my money!!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  6. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I'm sure your little wood burner will have much impact to climate change mate, even though, we will all now be all inundated with how we should all lead our lives for "the good of the" money making/tax gulping corporates/governments........I mean planet!! :emoticon-0105-wink:
    But according to Realred, evolution was doing ok on it's own.....
    https://news.sky.com/story/la-palma...-be-triggered-when-lava-hits-the-sea-12413274

7. bcfcredandwhite

It's a disaster:
    https://news.sky.com/story/co2-shor...ets-within-days-industry-chief-warns-12413428
    ...or maybe not:
    https://news.sky.com/story/boost-fo...ts-production-after-government-talks-12413566

8. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

Drink proper cider then! For the good of the planet of course!! <cheers> <laugh>

9. oneforthebristolcity

We are now about to "mine" (feck up) the oceans to help build electric vehicles, "A number of companies are lining up to exploit the minerals found there"
    in a way to help save the planet!! <doh> Yeah, brilliant!! Not money making at all, it's just about Climate change :emoticon-0105-wink:

10. Angelicnumber16

Manufacturing a single Tesla battery apparently uses more CO2 than running a 2.0 diesel engined car constantly for over 20 years.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.

11. bcfcredandwhite

WTAF???? REALLY?

12. Angelicnumber16

Yes
    Those facts might not be 100% exact, but it's a staggering amount !

13. bcfcredandwhite

FFS that’s shocking.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  14. Angelicnumber16

And the irony when a Tesla breaks down and they send a diesel powered recovery truck carrying a generator to charge and start it again !

In those respects, it's green technology with the smallest g imaginable

15. bcfcredandwhite

And I bet those Tesla batteries don’t even last 5 years let alone 20.

16. bcfcredandwhite

I see the government has stepped in - presumably handing over £millions to the yank owned company that held us to ransom by stopping production.
    I’d nationalise their business. We can’t have a private Yankee company (or any private company for that matter - but DEFINITELY not a foreign one) holding the strings to our food chain.
    Government strikes deal to restart CO2 production https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58641394

17. oneforthebristolcity

Plus what do we think runs these energy plants to make all of this electric that we'll all about to switch too? It won't be bloody wind that's for sure!!
    Nuclear will be our main source, wonder what and where all radioactive wastes will go or be stored, baring in mind these materials can remain radioactive and dangerous to human health for 1000s of years..
    Meanwhile in places like China, US & India whom are the biggest polluters, life will carry on as normal!!! But we will all be fined at some point for not recycling our potatoes peelings!!

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  18. Angelicnumber16

This government needs to realise that we contribute about 1% of global CO2 emissions, while China stand at about 30%.
    So if Greta Thunberg wants some credibility (and also the change to rack up some serious air miles !), that should be her next destination instead of worrying about what Europe are doing, although the Germans are still very much into coal fired power stations. Not sure what India's output is but their dependence on coal is also very significant.

19. Angelicnumber16

Then there is the disposal of said batteries. Not sure if any of it is recyclable including the Lithium used in the manufacture of them initially.

20. realred1952

I think China India and USA contribute about 78% planet gets its revenge though all 3 countries are amongst the worst hit by climate change …….
    INTERESTING the number of Volcano's spouting off at the moment [ 3 0r 4?].. its as if the planet enjoyed the lack of aero planes polluting the atmosphere so going to put a load of dust up there and ground them all .. build bigger and faster ships ….