1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Gas

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Sep 20, 2021.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

….. no, I don’t mean our poor cousins from north of the river with their evil cigar-stubbing stepfather……
    I mean our utter disgraceful dependency on Putin’s gas supplies.
    I’ve said this before that we have made ourselves extremely vulnerable by embracing globalisation, particularly during the Thatcher years, when we de-industrialised and became a mainly Service-driven economy, but there was carelessness in that approach - we now depend on the Russians for our gas and the Europeans for our food and our cars and the Chinese for our consumers and our tech goods.
    Even our DATA is in the ‘cloud’ (owned and managed by the Americans) - what happens when we fall out with them?
    The Russians are now squeezing our gas supplies - and to be honest I can’t blame them. It’s business.
    It was obvious that Brexit would kill off our domination in the Banking services - the moves to Frankfurt are already underway.
    We don’t produce anything in this country anymore that anyone else wants and what we DO produce is foreign owned.
    God help us if we ever went into another World War - we really would be alone.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Thursday 15 Mar 2018 1:02 pm
    According to British Gas, we produce around 43% of our gas supply ourselves.

This is produced in the North Sea and Irish Sea.

The next 44% comes from pipelines across Europe.

The exact figures on the countries we import from have not been revealed, but Europe as a whole gets 23% of its gas from Norway and 35% from Russia.

The final 13% comes from Liquefied Natural Gas tankers that ship gas to us from various countries.

There are four pipelines running to the UK:

• The UK-Belgium interconnector (IUK) which runs between Bacton in Norfolk and Zeebrugge in Belgium
    • The UK-Netherlands pipeline (BBL) which runs from Balgzand to Bacton in Norfolk
    • The Vesterled pipeline link which connects St Fergus in Scotland to a number of Norweigan gasfields
    • The Langeled pipeline which runs from Nyhamna in Norway to Easington in Yorkshire
    We also have around 4bcm gas storage here in the UK, which means we have extra supplies available when we really need them – such as when it’s freezing cold.
    https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/15/uk-get-gas-supply-7389759/

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  3. bcfcredandwhite

That’s interesting Wiz - so why are the suppliers panicking?

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

That information is 3 years old but it's all I could find with limited resources and time...<ok>

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

6. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I thought it was to do with cost more than lack of supply

7. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Didn't help also, when Brown sold off the gold!! We will just continue to print money, as a Country we are fairly loaded TBF.. It's when they decide to increase interest rates when the panic will set in and everyone will be looking to sell up!!!

8. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Only something like 15 years in the North Sea I think.

9. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

R&W - with respect it seems you are the one who's panicking.
    Chill, we'll have something else to worry about next week.

10. bcfcredandwhite

11. Redprintt

They've gone bust, I think last week.
    'Look After My Bills' have taken care of everything and I'm now with British Gas.
    Simple.

12. bcfcredandwhite

Hmm not sure it’s simple - but we’ll see.
    I’m getting my wood burner installed ASAP

13. bcfcredandwhite

Exactly
    Putin has put the price up

14. Redprintt

I didn't do anything, it all happened seamlessly. It was easy for me, why do you think you'll be different. Sit tight it will also happen seamlessly for you.

ps - Isn't a wood burner bad for the environment ?

AshtonRed likes this.
  15. Redprintt

R&W
    How mad is this.
    I've just this minute received a text from British Gas telling me 'Peoples Energy' (my previous supplier) has stopped operating assuring me of a continued gas supply.
    They will 'be in touch next week'.

Chill, my friend.

16. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

we have dozens of gas supply companies … it is easy to set yourself up as a octopus or bulb [ having the right marketing know how / computers and soft ware of course ]
    you simply agree to buy x amount of gas in a time frame … find x number of customers to sign up for 12 months or so and skim the profit a bit like an agent for insurance etc...
    HOWEVER there is 2 distinct ways to set yourself up …
    you buy gas as you [ maybe a small family firm [with a name like cheepogas] go hoping it s steady and new customers are attracted at prices after you skim, should it cost you a bit more, hope price rises are steady .. new customers take up slack ….
    OR you buy in advance x amount of gas periodically say x units of 1000 [ and use it by a date /dates ! ] depending on your customer base you buy more units periodically, gas is yours they supply it over a period? periodically price increases go up or down but you have paid for say 2 -3 years supply in advance so a big hiccup like now is not a disaster, levels out ….
    PROBLEM NOW is maybe 40 or more gas bill suppliers will have customers on 1 year or more contracts wholesale price goes up 30% their profit margin was 25% and wont have the money to pay for gas …………….
    companies paying up front will be buying @ todays prices to add to existing supplies [ maybe for 2023/24/? ] so new customers will be charged higher price, those that move over because their goes bust etc.... [ I have just signed up to 24 months with Sainsbury 23 MONTHS TO GO ..LOL ].

17. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

we will indirectly gain from our own limited supplies North sea [ east and west ] . I highlighted Nigeria previously burning off billions of gas, maybe this will need to liquefied?
    Maybe cattle blamed for belching methane and pooing the ingreidient to make it could be utilised to better effect?

Wood burners … should you be in area to use them … is not the answer for the problem for 99% of gas users! AND when "surplus wood is gone what next …. ah yes chop down the oxygen providing tree's …..

18. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Why?
    If you’re supplier goes bust another steps in. The gas lines outside your house are owned by someone other than you are paying your bills anyway.
    Bit like telephone lines, they are all owned and maintained by BT Openreach but you probably pay for your line with whoever your internet provider is.
    We will all be coming off gas in the future anyway, so if you were to change surely electric would be better than wood burners.

19. bcfcredandwhite

They ARE bad for the environment.
    I AM getting one - but it will hardly be used - and it's nothing to do with this gas 'crisis'. I'm putting it in my new bathroom, which I'm installing in what used to be the old kitchen of the house. There is a large open chimney breast there which I presume used to house an old cast-iron range cooker. Sadly the range cooker was removed long before I bought the house. If I can find another range then I'll install that in there instead, but they are as rare as rocking-horse poo so I am likely to go for the cheaper alternative of the wood-burner.
    I only plan to light it occasionally - when I'm having a bath in the winter time - I thought it would be a nice feature but I won't be relying on it to heat the house.
    We still have the old open fires in our house, but we only light them about half a dozen days a year. I love them - they are very cosy and smell wonderful.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  20. bcfcredandwhite

I don't use my open fires much JGF - only in the deepest winter - and I have a large wood store made from old pallets, timber offcuts and logs from a tree that I felled 2 years ago because it was too big and about to bring a wall down. I don't go rampaging around forests killing trees!
    When I light my fires, I use the wood to get them going and then I put some of those smokeless 'stove nuts' on - but like I said earlier it's only about half a dozen times a year - at Christmas and on especially cold evenings.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.