1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Gas

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Sep 20, 2021.

1. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

any youngsters about to leave school would be wise to look into ELECTRIC VEHICLES OR EV battery recycling.. with just over 250,000 electric vehicles on the road there is only about 2500 trained EV MECHANCS. servicing is different and more dangerous unless trained!!!
    RECYCLING... there is an infinite amount of lithium, ok there is enough to make a few ? bn batteries over the next few decades ? however designed to last circa 10 years already many 100's of 000's are already being "recycled" quite simple process really … incinerated and copper cobalt nikel manganese etc etc reclaimed Lithium gone in a puff of smoke! there is process called hydro metallurgy used for certain metals that could be key to recycling Lithium jump on the band wagon now youngsters!!!!

2. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Two thirds of India's power is made up by using coal...and when you think their population is over 1.3 billion, that alone should give some perspective!!

Dust?? thought I'd cut and paste the following paragraphs rather than be accused of making things up to fit the argument!! Part of evolution one would say!!

Volcanic eruptions can be extremely damaging to the environment, particularly because of a number of toxic gases possibly present in pyroclastic material. ... Carbon dioxide emitted from volcanoes adds to the natural greenhouse effect.

Often, erupting volcanoes emit sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere. ... The sulfur dioxide moves into the stratosphere and combines with water to form sulfuric acid aerosols. The sulfuric acid makes a haze of tiny droplets in the stratosphere that reflects incoming solar radiation, causing cooling of the Earth's surface.

The gases and dust particles thrown into the atmosphere during volcanic eruptions have influences on climate. Most of the particles spewed from volcanoes cool the planet by shading incoming solar radiation. The cooling effect can last for months to years depending on the characteristics of the eruption. Volcanoes have also caused global warming over millions of years during times in Earth’s history when extreme amounts of volcanism occurred, releasing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere

3. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Just wait until the island of La Palma breaks in two and slips below the Atlantic as has been predicted for many years. The tsunami created could drown the east coast of North America and raise water levels in many other places and seriously affect coastal communities bordering the North Atlantic. The lava currently pouring out of the volcano is creating serious issues for the islanders but the main concern is the possibility of half of the landmass breaking away and therefore creating mayhem. I have visited this island and walked along the deep crack caused by previous volcanic activity and so can feel for the residents and their plight. Keep safe todos.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  4. realred1952

now see the items you have pasted, think about them and then put into perspective. The planet looks after its own. Whilst these are "HEADLINE STATEMENTS" they do not tell the whole story, the examples you have posted do mention both sides of the coin, but fail to tell the story of their positives or negatives ….. !!
    what it does do however show that evolution is a long drawn affair … billions of years before man set foot on the surface!

QUOTE ] when extreme amounts of volcanism occurred, releasing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere[/QUOTE] at one point in time the earth went through the snowball effect, an ice age that was almost total … followed by volcanic activity that rewarmed the planet!

QUOTE ] The sulfuric acid makes a haze of tiny droplets in the stratosphere that reflects incoming solar radiation, causing cooling of the Earth's surface. [/ QUOTE ] WOW thank goodness for that, else we would need sun factor 1001 intense formula or live underground to avoid being fried to a crisp!

in a nutshell, finally total [ almost ] agreement with what I have said …...

5. realred1952

One of the tv programmes [ showed yellow stone as well ] did a graphic on the potential devastation down the east coast America's … THERE IS MORE THAN 1 SCENARIO! slow slide to fast slide! the fast slide most devastating! WCS == ALMOST good bye to all Caribean islands Cayman/Bermuda MILLIONAIRE yachting fleet washed up on shores of the mainland .. Florida Keys and everglades washed clean GULF Mexico a whirlpool!???
    NORTH AFRICA west coast doesn't escape either ……. ships in atlantic path under a certain size no chance biggest ships have a chance … 50%+?
    I think even some places in UK suffered minor damage ….

6. oneforthebristolcity

Yes, there has always been climate change!!
    And because the big corporate companies raked in billions of profit helping quicken Climate change, they are now involved with convincing the population that by spending billions with them we can help to clean it up..
    Where I do accept that the general population needs to do its bit to help, I can see that for the giant companies and governments, this has become an opportunity to cash in on people’s emotions, although be it, the hypocrisy will be rife..
    My biggest bugbear, which I do feel strong about, is the use of plastics and how that’s having a impact.. again it’s the corporates of this world whom are to blame.. and still are!

7. realred1952

when a thief gets caught selling stolen stuff to a fence [ receiver of stolen goods ] The judge serves sentence, the fence gets a longer sentence than the thief. ASKED WHY the judge says "without the fence there is less temptation to steal as often the items stolen are of no use to the thief"
    Plastic we are all guilty …. we readily accept it, in various forms and for various reasons so manufacturers keep producing it.
    Are they guilty of certain offspring of sea creatures fish etc being "infected by micro plastics?" [ 6 month old fish having (high) levels of Micro plastic inherited from parent! ]… it is known or started to be known how long Micro plastics take to get into certain body areas …. NO THEY ARE NOT ENTIRELY, in fact often printed on items is recyclable, take your rubbish home .. dispose of thoughtfully … so the consumer dumps it in streams rivers on beach's in the sea, they are the guilty ones … a successful business thrives on supplying what the customer wants …..
    end product user wants plastic wrapped food, to keep fresh and storage made easier... supermarket provides item …. producer processes item … plastic manufacturer supplies containers to order who is the most guilty????

I and about 7 bn other people initially, guilty [ or the majority % that do not dispose of end product responsibly are collectively massively guilty. Thank goodness for the corporations that make profits who also employ the greater % of working people without whose wages there would be more starving populations …. or less money to buy a house, so less jobs to build them, even less suppliers to supply the materials ….. etc etc etc so....
    is the following a worthy statement...……………….. I don't think so ………..

8. oneforthebristolcity

What a pile of crap that is..
    First of all, we all managed back in the day without plastic bottles.. glass & returned..
    Did we all ask for all of our food to be wrapped in plastic?
    Our products stayed the same price but the manufacturing of plastic bottles & bags were cheaper to produce = more profit..
    Guilty??? Not much choice was there?
    Were we made aware of the consequences of plastic wrappings etc and the danger re disposal of it??
    Even now, In the so say environmental awareness world we live in, only a couple of weeks ago, I ordered a single sample tile on line.. which came in a large box and must have been half a large roll of bubble wrap included. Totally unnecessary.. oh by the way.. I didn’t ask for it!! Shredded paper would have done the same job.. recycled of course..
    No excuses towards the large corporations.. they are the problem.. not the consumer that are continuously marketed via advertising to buy their products..

AshtonRed likes this.
  9. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

The answer is simple; introduce a ‘plastic tax’ where the only way to be exempt is to prove that plastic is the only substance that could possibly be used in that case.
    You’ll find that all of a sudden large manufacturers would miraculously start using recyclables again!

10. realred1952

<doh><doh><doh>:emoticon-0128-hi::emoticon-0128-hi::emoticon-0128-hi::emoticon-0128-hi::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

11. bcfcredandwhite

Government are saying that only 1% of fuel stations are out of supply.
    They must ALL be around Swindon then!!

12. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Media driven panic. They keep highlighting it and people keep rush buying.

Redprintt likes this.
  13. realred1952

the problem is fuel to a garage is not on demand … most garages have to pay up front for it [ owners or management team/franchise ] a delivery is booked for time and date. So panic buying does not affect the garage income regarding fuel … but could for shop items! The punter makes it difficult for themselves, drain the fuel stop, then have to wait a extra number of days/ week to get fuel ….. garage by me got a pre arranged delivery Saturday but que was 200m long Friday... hope they put 4p a litre on!!!

14. bcfcredandwhite

Managed to fill up in the end. The warning light was on so I wasn’t ‘hoarding’ fuel.
    I managed to find a petrol station just outside Royal Wootton Bassett which still had some.
    When I got there, there was just one car before me. By the time I’d left they were queuing back onto the main road.
    Crazy.

15. oneforthebristolcity

Nothing new there then!!! :emoticon-0105-wink:

16. RedorDead

Bought a new car, to beat the empty fuel stations.

upload_2021-9-28_16-12-27.jpeg

17. realred1952

will fail the mot no mirror to view the rear

18. oneforthebristolcity

Is that the Roller you've been bragging about <laugh>

RedorDead likes this.
  19. RedorDead

Paid top dollar for it being a roller. The Jag had a nasty bite to it

20. bcfcredandwhite

I'd be interested to see how that thing can turn a corner - I can't work out the steering mechanism from the pic!!!