1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Environmental & Pollution Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jan 12, 2020.

1. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I agree with your comment about IDS, 100%.
    Just my opinion, but I believe the 5 week delay in making the first UC payment is a deliberate ploy to keep people in need subservient, to keep them malleable and easy to control via sanctions.
    It is deliberately cruel, imo.

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

The Fully Charged Show has a sister channel called Fully Charged Regen. Mostly, FCR deals with audio podcasts and rare small videos. I've been listening to the most recent one dealing with the Australian bush fires. Unbelieveably, the Aussie mindset is often not citing HICC as the primary cause of Australia's hottest and driest year. Here, Robert interviews an expert on the subject. [ https://ketanjoshi.co/ ]:

You can also catch this podcast on Spotify, iTunes and Google​

Kaito likes this.
  3. TheSecondStain

And the 50th World Economic Forum at Davos had speeches from both Greta Thunberg and Donald Trump today. I could barely bring myself to watch Trump's speech, but I felt it was necessary to listen to the view of greed beyond responsibility**. Thunberg's speech was like a shaft of light, as per usual. I could select the videos, but just go to the Electrek website article: https://electrek.co/2020/01/21/davos-trump-greta-thunberg-fossil-fuels/

**he needs to be removed from office, and quickly, because his policies will kill people prematurely. You and me possibly, because pollution doesn't recognise national boundaries. We breathe in North American pollution, or the consequences of, along with our own, with every breath we take.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    davecg69, MIsaints and Kaito like this.
  4. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Trouble is, Trump and his backers don't actually care, neither does anybody else of that ilk who is trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of the world population.
    It probably suits their plans if people do die, or get displaced by climate change as social disruption breeds war, and war of course, makes money for those in the trade as it were.
    I think that short of a global revolution and a completely different, humanist social structure emerging, we are all basically ****ed in the long term because money trumps everything.

5. TheSecondStain

No, I know he doesn't, hence my comment about his policies being "greed beyond responsibility." He simply doesn't give a ****. He'll be dead. He has no imagination. If he thinks at all, it is that his kids will be rich enough to be immune from the effects of HICC, and maybe they will. They are old enough to escape the worst, and rich enough to globetrot to whereever is comfortable, warm and safe. However, they will increasingly find that those areas will dwindle and they will receive a cooler welcome each time they arrive. To them, the recognition of HICC is a mere inconvenience, which they would rather do without.
    And, for all the slight inconsistencies in Al Gore's old environmental projected future film, now 14 years in the past, An Inconvenient Truth was appropriately named. HICC is ****ing inconvenient, and it is here now. So, no more procrastination.
    This could have been done so much better. Real money is being made, but so much more could still be made, if only those diehard businesses would diversify**. I mean, why don't oil companies give up the fight and invest in solar and wind, or nuclear, or some such other power source where they'd be the good guys and not the bad guys. If any companies have the business clout, it's them.

**tbf, the odd FF company, like Shell and BP are diverting huge amounts of capital. But not much, as a percentage of their budgets. Something like 5%

davecg69 likes this.
  6. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

This article by George Monbiot shows what dirty tricks and smear campaigns all environmental groups and individuals are up against. It makes for worrying reading and shows how tough the fight will be.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-earth-extremist-police-extinction-rebellion

We all need to push back against this and voice our objections to the lies and unjust targeting of those who are just fighting for a cleaner and environmentally sustainable world.

We can't allow big business and crooked politicians to win this fight.

7. TheSecondStain

Dear old Robert apologises for having a rant. He needn't have bothered. I've seen him almost blow his head off on one of his FC rants during a news bulletin. Some good stuff here:

8. TheSecondStain

Oh and Dave Borlace, from Just Have A Think brought out a timely video this week:

9. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

davecg69 likes this.
  10. Libby

Libby 9-0

Probably a lot easier when the country's population is less than London. Still credit where it's due obviously.

What would be truly remarkable is nations like China and India getting on board, doubt I'll see that in my lifetime tbh.

davecg69 and Number 1 Jasper like this.

11. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

Pets are actually very large contributors to Green House gas emissions, in some cases pets have higher carbon footprints than people and vehicles:
    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/59619/dogs-cause-more-pollution-cars

Cows and some other animals are even worse because of the way they digest and ruminate food. Changing their feedstock has a massive impact. Scientists are currently measuring emissions from cow burps which are dependent on what they are fed.

The meats to eat that have the lowest carbon footprints (due to the efficiency of their digestion) is duck and rabbit.

12. TheSecondStain

Maddie Moate gets an electric vehicle. It's Episode 2. I won't say which car she chose, but it's certainly a good choice:

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  13. TheSecondStain

Yep, one of the reasons I don't have a pet anymore is because they create emissions that aren't required, thank you. It's not the main reason, but it's just another of a series of little reasons which makes me decide no to pets. It's the artificial world we live in - why on earth do we have pets? If you think about it logically, only about one pet in a hundred [maybe more, maybe less] is doing a practical useful thing being with their owner. As for breeding of animals, like dogs and cats, I'd make the practice illegal. There are plenty of strays to love that don't get loved and so are put down.

On the other hand, cows get a slightly unfair bad press because they are fed so much crap to them that causes them to burp and fart excessively. But I believe they do burp and fart more than other animals, for their size] because they are ruminants with four stomachs. And they are kept forever in and out of pregnancy so that they pretty much permanently produce milk. I have often thought that a cow's life must be a **** one. Poor bleeders.

14. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

If we don't see it in your lifetime, there won't be many lifetimes..

15. TheSecondStain

China are busily exporting emissions [that's another story and they certainly have other issues to power their future], but at home they are adopting electric vehicles like no other nation. In fact, they are heading to towards a green future a lot faster than many other leading countries. Amongst many experts, the analysis is that, of the 3 main car markets, China [the biggest], Europe, and North America, it's North America that are destined to be third in the race to go entirely electric.
    India is a fast growing economy. They are at a point in their development where they may largely cut out stages of the industrial revolution that western countries went through. For example, they are putting in solar farms like billyho, from no electricity at all. And why not? Almost guaranteed sunshine, and way cheaper than fossil fuels.

The region where I think your comment definitely has bags of validity is South America. Even Africa may go quicker to a full carbon neutral future because, once again, they will cut out much of the industrial revolution.

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

I just used those two examples as they're the most populous nations on Earth, and I also thought they were both among the highest polluters. Will bow to your superior knowledge regards China however.

17. TheSecondStain

Yep, I know what you meant, and you're right, they are [well China is] big polluters, but they are both trying to do something about it. Countries like Brazil are not really doing anything. And Trump, in the USA, is actually rolling back standards, so that they are permitted to pollute more. Luckily, a lot of big US companies have CEOs who aren't as stupid as Trump. But many have lobbied Trump to lower standards which, of course, he does if they make it worth his while.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  18. TheSecondStain

davecg69 likes this.
  19. TheSecondStain

20. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

All ready done.........
    I must admit Ive never thought of Dogs or cats as heavy polluters............No more than a human being anyway as far as wind goes. I used to have a German Shepard and although he did have his bad days in the main he was no different than us. Maybe it was the type of food I gave him would that be the difference. meat was a rarity..........

TheSecondStain and davecg69 like this.