1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team sheet Tactics & Formation

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Buckyohare, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree with all above nuggets, i have also said fullbacks look weak to me and would prefer Coulson and Burns!

What do you think of Hladky, so far i have not been too impressed, early days i know and anything is better than Holy!!

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Nobody seems interested in Carroll. Why is that? Is it just because we haven’t seen him yet?

The midfield isn’t working if we’re not winning matches.

Then again, losing two goals on set pieces is not down to individual error, it’s training ground work.

3. Spanish

I think Yorkie, it's like you say....we haven't seen him, also maybe because people like Evans and Harper and can't see where Carroll would fit in, I'm not sure but personally i was impressed with Evans/Harper v Morecambe but less so since, especially Evans. Would like to see what Carroll has to offer.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I am very excited by his arrival. A fantastic player. He would sit deeper and protect the defence. I think the other two are more attack minded.

5. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I'm also not too impressed by Hladky, although we haven't seen much of him. I really want to see what he's like in front of a more settled defence. I also really want to see how he'll fare against a better team, like a Portsmouth or a Lincoln, where he'll presumably be facing more shots and will be expected to do more. I would not be prepared to put Holy in the starting eleven yet, although I think Holy receives more criticism than is warranted. Yes, he had a shocker against Colchester in pre-season, but I ultimately don't think he was a particular weak point last season.

itfcptc likes this.
  6. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I think we do look weak at full back currently although I also think they are left too exposed

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Hladky looks like a better shot stopper but Holy has more of a presence for me. It’s much of a muchness but I think there’s more potential for Hladky. At the moment I’d be playing Holy for a bit of stability. The occasional mistake is no issue for me. It happens to even the top keepers.

8. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

So all in all we’re happy with the attacking style,the possession based tactics and the formation. we just prefers tweak of personnel esp on the wings and in the forward positions.

I pray we don’t revert to some pragmatic defensive system just yet.if we’re going to make young fans feel they have a good, local team worth supporting instead of manu etc it’s vital to keep this as much for the culture it embodies fromTown sides in the past as it represents also a way out of l1.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Spanish likes this.
  9. Buckyohare

If we can accept the view that winning football matches AND playing in style is the hardest thing to do we can also accept that slim margins are costing us, mostly in the defensive areas but a bit also in the attacking ones. Which is the more preferable way round in my book, given it’s goals that win football matches and ‘stopping’ goals is an easier job than scoring them (as MM certainly demonstrated…).

But with Evans’ gaff and our softness generally in our own third (plus a les than convincing keeper to replace our previously very unconvincing keeper) I expect PC might tinker things to a 4141 and deploy carrol as a sitting midfielder with Harper and Fraser ahead of him, burns on the right (although he’s not done much I’m sad to say) Edward’s on the left (can see him being sold for a fortune even if we do go up, he’s light years above this league) and Bonne has made the 9 shirt his now.

but dropping your captain after one costly error is a big thing and he might not hang him out to dry so soon and opt to phase Carroll in. I just don’t know how far sentiment and man management affect the more immediate need to sure things up and start winning through making less errors. I expect evans is still very much ‘in the picture’ as a first team player after all.

truth be told, I’m not sure what to make of Piggot. He’s clearly an excellent technician, likes coming deep, can play in his fellow forwards (who all need to score more as part of being in a front 3), and can score himself based on last season but I don’t see him displacing Bonne for now. I cant see him being very effective alongside Bonne as that makes our forward line much less effective as a defensive unit in a team that defends from the top. It’s about how we shape up when we haven’t got the ball as much as when we have after all. So I expect he’ll be benched.

hopefully carrol can sure us up and protect the gap we’ve currently got between our defensive and midfield lines with some error free performances whilst pinging the passes into the amazing options we have going forwards. What a joy to watch ITFC full of attackers left, right and centre.

when edmundson recovers from whatever injury he’s got (they’re very vague about this which is weird…) we’ll have a much more robust pairing at the back ably supported by wolfy and Nsiala.

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I could split hairs over some of this but by and large spot one. Interesting point about the captaincy and I hope that Cook hasn’t made promises he will have to row back on.

11. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

I’m of the mind that we have new owners, new management, new back room staff and a new squad, so I am prepared to accept it will take time to get things right and I will try not to second guess every decision on and off the field, if it happens this season that’s great if not at least it’s going in the right direction, Paul Cook may or may not be the man but he deserves the chance to succeed I see no benefit with getting on the teams back at this stage.

Come on Ipswich.

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Paul Cook for the most part knows where there are problems. He doesn’t need us to tell him or boo from the stands to let him know we’re not happy about it. But there may come a point where the season has gone and the only way forward is a change of manager and if the owners don’t make it I’ve got no problem then with the fans sending the owners a message. But I’m talking about proper there is no way back protests, not as flavour of the week. Booing the players is never never useful in my book and we do it far too often as a club. Perhaps it would be justified if we’d gone down 4-0 or 5-0 !

13. Buckyohare

that's a good point about results; were not being thrashed in some fanciful attempt at playing stylish football with a group of players not up to the job. what we've got is a squad built on the basis it can have the quality to prevent goals and the capability to score more than it may concede. but for a penalty miss (even Messi does that.....) and a sitter (even my mum could have scored...) our points tally might look a lot better and w'ed all be less twitchy....

but I'm always interested in the tactical equation, wining or losing, and from the start I've been of the view shared by Top Bunk that everything is new so give it some time. my position is if were still losing narrowly after Xmas window then we need to look at the coaching/management. this group of players is very good for this level and someone can make them win matches. given PC picked them you'd hope he can.

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I can see all the same things on the pitch going on but where I differ from others is that I think if we’re not close to the play offs this season then chances are it’s not going to improve enough to mount a challenge next season. And if we are close to the bottom after ten games then we’re not getting close to the play offs.

It’s not ten games yet though, it’s four and although it doesn’t look good we’ve been very close to taking more points so it’s too early to know which way it will go.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  15. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Well, following the excellent business over the last couple of days of the transfer window – as well as first impressions after the first six games of the season – what are people’s thoughts on the strongest starting eleven?

I’d probably go for the below:

GK: Walton
    LB: Coulson
    CB: Burgess
    CB: Edmondson
    RB: KVY
    CM: Morsy
    CM: Harper
    LW: Edwards
    AM: Celina
    RW: Burns
    ST: Bonne

Bench
    Hladky, Wolfenden, Penney, Evans, Fraser, Chaplin, Pigott

Whichever way you slice it, this is a really impressive team - on paper - and is arguably our strongest squad since the peak Mick McCarthy years. The obvious mitigation is the need to integrate all these players and manage the players, most of whom would arguably expect to be starting for a League One side.

16. Spanish

No Carroll Nuggets, i think him or Evans may be the best fit to play alongside Morsy. Carroll for his passing ability or Evans due to the fact he has played alongside Morsy before.
    I'm not keen on Harper, from what I've seen, he has no stamina, after about 60 mins he fades massively!!
    The rest i would agree with, would rather Nsiala than Wolfy on the bench, just don't trust Wolfy, far too casual.

17. Spanish

Walton

KVY
    Edmundson
    Burgess
    Coulson

Morsy
    Carroll

Edwards
    Celina
    Burns

Bonne/Pig

Subs, Hladky, Nsiala, Penney, Harper, Fraser, Chaplin, Bonne/pig

18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Walton

KVY / Nsiala / Burgess / Penney
    Morsy
    Edwards / Harper / Celina

Bonne / Norwood

Subs:

Holy
    Woolfy
    Coulson
    Evans
    Burns
    Chaplin
    Pig

Bizarrely, I can’t see a place for Carroll with Morsy coming in.

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I think we’d lose pace and energy in the middle of the park having Morsy and Carroll together. They are the same type of player. Carroll has barely featured yet and I reckon he will only get a chance as back up for Morsy. He must be absolutely fuming.

20. Spanish

I would say Morsy and Carroll are far from similar. Morsy is an enforcer type and Carroll is a cultured ball playing midfielder.

Buckyohare, itfcptc and Nuggets like this.