1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer Transfer Rumour

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by jeffranger, May 9, 2023.

1. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

Dickie was one of our star players and there remains a star player in there. This was evidenced at Burnley.

We should be working to rebuild his career with him rather than allowing someone else to do so and selling him on for sod all.

Watch him score one of his wonder strikes against us next season when confidently rejuvenated by a back room team that isn’t amateur, and one that is fit for purpose.

Another bit of pi55poor business by us and sadly, it’s all that we can continue to expect from the shambles we have mismanaging the club.

2. Hammersmith bookie

Hammersmith bookie Well-Known Member

I hope Stroller isn't reading this thread ! There's alot of pessimism on here :emoticon-0102-bigsm

3. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

This. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The same people moaning about selling him now would be even more annoyed in a year when he'd go for a free.

The club has learnt half the lesson - buy young players and develop them. Eze, Chair, Willock, BOS, Manning, Dickie, Field, Dunne, Dieng, Dykes etc. The next lesson is to learn to sell them when we get decent offers in and keep reinvesting in slightly less rough diamonds each time.

4. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Disappointing to see he's gone, and not for as much as we'd hoped, but it is the nature of the beast. If we'd managed promotion, we'd be celebrating the arrival of some top players, now that didn't happen, so we are seeing our top players depart. The only silver lining for me, is that those 'top players' weren't good enough to sustain their form or turn the tide last year, so if we are ever going to progress up the league, we need better players anyway, so why hold on to those who are not good enough? Good luck to Dickie.

Rangers Til I Die and KentGaz like this.
  5. SRR

SRR Well-Known Member

I’m worried we’re running out of local rivals. By my reckoning there’s just Orient and Charlton, perhaps throw in Wycombe for good measure, to overtake us in the next year and we’re done. Grasping at straws, I guess there’s still AFC Wimbledon and Wealdstone I suppose.

QPR999 and kiwiqpr like this.
  6. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

Don't forget all the Sunday league pub teams.

7. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Agreed Raving.

But quite honestly our rate of improving these prospects is very very poor. We seem to manage to make some of our players lack the spirit to improve themselves and to encourage/help them to improve. Dickie had undoubted ability but I don’t feel we pulled the best out of him; and we allowed his poor form to continue through the season without fixing him or his situation.

8. Quite Possibly Raving

Not sure that's fair - I think every player in that list except Dickie has improved a lot since they joined us. I deliberately didn't include the ones that arguably haven't - Richards, Bonne, Dozzell, Masterson etc etc. But I don't think our hit rate is that bad for improving players - we just need to learn to sell them at the right time and not keep gambling. Marathon not a spring etc.

daverangers likes this.
  9. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

Hopefully that Haka video won’t put players off joining us. There’s lots of clubs using the latest technology but I’m sure there’s some players out there who will be attracted to witchcraft methods.

10. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

That’s a fair comment on selling at the right time Raving. Though people haven’t exactly been clamouring to actually buy our better players even during our purple patches.

Quite Possibly Raving likes this.

11. Quite Possibly Raving

Yeah, that's sadly true. We need the championship market to come to life a little bit as players like Willock/Chair are probably good enough for a championship side with a bigger budget (e.g. West Brom) but maybe not for the Premier League yet.

SW Ranger likes this.
  12. MickMack

MickMack Well-Known Member

One of the reasons we finished so low was because the likes of Chair/Willock weren't performing. As a result their stock is at an all time low.

13. stick

stick Bumper King

Oxford United are apparently miffed as they had a 10% of profit clause which has realised sweet FA.

14. MickMack

MickMack Well-Known Member

Still not forgiven for '86!

15. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Why? Nothing happened then...<laugh>

16. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

So the sell on fee for Dickie... is just below a profit. So we do not have to pay Oxford a sell on fee.. so we make nearly as much as we paid for him....

Someone is a bit clever....well done Lee Hoos

17. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Yeah, why make a profit if you have to give some of it away?

SW Ranger, QPR Oslo and sb_73 like this.
  18. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Says a lot about the quality footballer that is Robert Dickie when you look at all the potentially strong and glamorous teams in the Championship next season then realise that he went to Bristol City.

rangercol likes this.
  19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Come off it Beth.

I’m struggling to see the circumstances where selling a player at a loss is clever. It’s not only a financial failure it’s an indictment of recruitment and player development.

The core issue with Dickie is his complete and utter lack of pace. So, even when he is on top form he needs players to cover for him. This was evident when we bought him. You can’t coach basic speed. When he’s not on top form, which is most of the time apart from three or four games at the beginning of 21/22 season, he’s a ****ing liability. He’s progressively lost not only pace, but passing, positional sense, tackling, heading and bollocks. He had one game against Burnley where he threw his body in front of the ball well. I can’t believe he’ll ever play at higher than mid/low championship and he should be grateful for that.

20. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

As we have effectively made a loss on the transaction, does it hold that Oxford will have to now pay us 10% of the loss?

I also don't forgive them for '86.

KentGaz, MickMack and Uber_Hoop like this.