1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stones bid rejected

Discussion in 'Everton' started by Tobes, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

SSN reporting that we've knocked back a £20m bid from Chelsea for John Stones.

Is this the start of a negotiation that'l see him depart or do we think we can hang onto him for another season at least?

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I think Stones is a cracking player (don't tell Astro), not worth the £20M but if that what it takes then I'd go for it.

3. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

A 21 CB who's already an England player, and has a decade plus at the highest level in his tank?

Camel gob went for £30m way back when. It'd take more than that for us to even think about it.

4. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Don't blame your stance English players fees are nuts, I rate the lad but wouldn't want to pay that much but then again Raheem isn't worth the money and neither is Benteke, it's all mad.

5. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

Long contract, no desire to leave (read his comments) and no need for the club to sell.

Would suspect that a bid nearing Sterlings would be needed, Everton are not n the driving seat and the players in the main love working under Martinez

6. Justovertheline

Justovertheline Well-Known Member

If he goes I hope there's 2 replacements lined up or a bus to park if last season's defence is anything to go by

7. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

If Chelsea put up £35m he's gone.

We could buy an able replacement and strengthen in other areas with that amount of cash.

8. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

You wouldn't get a defender of his quality for that amount. You state a bid of £35m will see him gone but forget........

Does he want to go?

9. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I doubt Chelsea would have made their bid public if they'd not been given some indication from the players' representatives that he'd be up for the move if the clubs valuation was met. Not that I think for 1 minute that he'd push for it, or behave like a Lescott, but I doubt he'd turn his nose up at it either.

10. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

Why not make the bid public to unsettle the player/club.

He will still be here next season IMO, he will just be backup for Terry/Cahill if he moves.

11. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

You could well be right there.

There is another factor here though. He's a massive Barnsley fan and they've got a 15% sell on (which would generate more than their entire playing budget this season), he might feel under pressure to assist their plight.........

12. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

Well then £25 or £35m is not enough to replace a player of his current quality and looking ahead his future quality. I'm not shocked at his progress as Barnsley fan I work with tipped him for the top.

If Sterling goes for £49m then so does Stones especiallywith that sell on fee

13. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

The sad reality is that we're not going to be able to hold onto him long term. As he's destined for the very top, and a CL club will take him.

Whether that's this summer or next, it's going to happen I'm afraid. We're a stepping stone club for a player of his quality.

14. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

I accept that, but with four years remaining we are in control of the selling fee

15. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Sure. It just depends on what figure might tempt the board to sell. Chelsea might spark a bidding war for him now they've openly declared their interest, and we might see City and United wading in with bids of their own. If that happens he'll go this summer imo, as the figures will reach the level at which the club will find it impossible to say no.

16. Stan

Stan Stalker

I doubt United will come in for him. If we do sign a centre half it will be someone with a lot of experience. To be honest I'd be disappointed if we did sign a young centre half as both McNair and Blackett showed enough last season to suggest that they deserve the time and opportunity to develop into regular first team players over the next few years. To be honest Stones would be a fool to go to Chelsea. Mourinho doesn't believe in young players as they make mistakes while they're fine tuning their game so he wouldn't get many league starts as long as Terry and Cahill are fit. I can recall a bizarre match at Anfield when Chelsea's first choice centre halves weren't available. Rather than giving young players a chance Mourinho chose Ferreira and Essien as his centre back pairing.

17. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I agree. I think Chelsea would be buying him as a project as opposed to a first team starter for this season. They'd want him to work with Terry for the year and then take over the mantle next season when his legs are totally gone. Stones wouldn't see much football this season and I think that'd be wrong for his development, as despite his talent, he's still a way off the finished article and he's only going to learn his trade by playing every week.

18. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

Then the question should be:

Is Stones willing to be backup to or stay and be a first team starter, you can only sell what wants to be sold

19. LuisDiazgamechanger

Jose Mourinho always get what he wants. First, he would like to unsettle Stones.

20. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

FFS heard it all now <doh>