1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stoke!

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I can only really comment on Keane in the air first half of Norwich in the new system, but jesus he was giving Norwich somewhat of a battering and needed other players around him to pick up the pieces somewhat.

That said, not convinced by Keane as a general striker / getting into the box / movement to get on the end of crosses. Think as a lump uptop to win the initial header, ala Murphy 14/15 or Walters wide right............ perhaps yes.

2. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Agree Westy.

Sears is a rubbish winger, a rubbish forward leading the line but a very good striker playing up top in a 2 with a big man leading the line and creativity behind him. His movement in this position is exceptional.

It's a shame for the first time in about 3/4 years in playing this way he gets injured.

Alhare likes this.
  3. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I don't think Sears is quite the player we all hope/wish he was.. He has great movement, is a decent finisher. But lets not forget he has played for Ipswich for 5 years now and has never been the answer to all our prayers, so wouldn't suddenly become that hero with a different system..

Though he would certainly offer us more options within that system (as well as terrific workrate) and would get a few goals, but I doubt he'd start smashing them in on a regular basis.. which I've heard some people suggest.

Sears reminds me of when we had Jon Stead, he terrific spells where he'd score a few, then long barren spells and he'd look hopeless in front of goal but always worked hard and put himself about.

Nuggets likes this.
  4. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

He was terrific alongside Murphy 14.15 in a 4.4.2 as a foil second half of that season. He was in good form at Colchester and maybe just had one of them.

Big Sam slates him in his book, never got the hype about him. Said he was a poor trainer, first off every day and wasn’t interested in improving his weak areas.

Must say I’m not his biggest fan either, but a shame he’s injured and not a chance to work as a foil for Keane.

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

He said in his book Sears 'didn't have what it took to be a top professional' and yet here is a man with a string of corruption allegations against his name and who has never won a major trophy in 20 years as a player and 25 years as a manager.

Sears is what he is, a second rate Championship striker but he has always chipped in and earned his salary at Town, which can't be said of countless others over the years.